Photo

Boss fights

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Margorintos

Margorintos

Recruit

• 23 posts

Since the gameplay demo displayed during E3 I've been thinking about boss fights. Why?

Because we got to see two of them in the demo and they were very different from each other.

The first one is against the Archon Slayer (the fallen guy dropping down from the pipe and killing one of the players). It seems to bee a fairly straightforward fight. Avoid getting hit and pump the mofo full of lead (and space magic). If all fights were like this it would pretty quickly get boring.

Luckily we also get to see a public event where you get to square off against a Devil Walker. (The thing that gets dropped from a carrier and looks like a bug) This fight is a bit more complex as you have to do three things:

Kill the normal fallen enemies.

Blow off the DW:s leg armor to put it in a downed state.

Hit the glowing thing in his neck to deal significant damage to it.

As illustrated by the image I've attached you (1) maul at it until (2) leg armor flies of with a bang. It then (4) goes to a downed state and you try hitting the orange glowing part until the DW recovers (or dies). Then you (3) blow off more armor and (4) downs the DW again. Hopefully killing it this time.

As the DW only has six legs, do you only get six shots at killing it? What kinds of damage can it deal to us players? How is health managed for players? And what other interesting mechanics can we look forward to in boss fights?

Questions, questions questions! I have just in a very rough manner explained the fight. Does anyone else have more information revolving boss fights. That would be awesome to get my hands on.

Attached Files

• Attached File  DW.jpg   118.76KB   0 downloads

Shock

Shock

Forum Lieutenant

• 153 posts

Well even in Halo "bosses" had a down type of stage, it seems this would work best seeing as how it makes the enemy feel more like an actual enemy on the planet instead of an undefeatable being, it gives the boss character. From the demo that we saw it pretty much didn't give us a whole lot of information, we don't know how the guardian's healthpool will work nor the bosses healthpool. I'm sure they will be releasing more information as we get closer to the release date.

Now as for damage we can see that the DW wasn't really focusing on the lock it was more focuses on the titans in the groups, (possible taunting abilities?) It would have been nice to see the gameplay from another character's perspective, that would answer a lot of unanswered questions.

Noles

Noles

Community Manager

• 4251 posts

We do know that public events and the game will have A LOT of variety, so it's not going to be the same "go here and kill X" type of questing that many "mmo" styled games have. 

Shock

Shock

Forum Lieutenant

• 153 posts

True but I wonder how many different types of events they could throw at us that we havn't already seen in other games? I also wonder what the max number of people could be in the public events, I know they said it wouldn't be a crazy number so that everyone still feels like the hero but again I wonder what the cap will end up being?

Guardianangel11

Guardianangel11

Recruit

• 14 posts
Well if I remember correctly the fallen boss had no down state idk if this means some won't or if it was simply because of the attack the warlock used at the end causing it to burst to flames

Noles

Noles

Community Manager

• 4251 posts

Well if I remember correctly the fallen boss had no down state idk if this means some won't or if it was simply because of the attack the warlock used at the end causing it to burst to flames

I don't think they all will. The Fallen boss wasn't nearly as strong as the Devil Walker, so if it had a down state it'd be too easy.

Shock

Shock

Forum Lieutenant

• 153 posts

I don't think they all will. The Fallen boss wasn't nearly as strong as the Devil Walker, so if it had a down state it'd be too easy.

I agree, it died with just a few hits, more like a miniboss rather then an actual boss.

Guardianangel11

Guardianangel11

Recruit

• 14 posts
True so maybe only public event will have down states

Jikar

Jikar

Risen from the Grave

• 333 posts

Now as for damage we can see that the DW wasn't really focusing on the lock it was more focuses on the titans in the groups, (possible taunting abilities?) It would have been nice to see the gameplay from another character's perspective, that would answer a lot of unanswered questions.

If this is true, then there's a whole level of strategy that the AI has just developed right here. Pretty cool.

Shock

Shock

Forum Lieutenant

• 153 posts

They stated their AI was super smart in Destiny. I believe they stated that they will actually learn from play styles of gamers. Would be amazing if it is true!

Margorintos

Margorintos

Recruit

• 23 posts

Grenades has always been a big thing in halo (and most shooters) but I don't think I've seen any in Destiny. Might it be that the classes different "abilities" like the warlocks hadoken substitutes the granades? Or have I just missed them?

Shock

Shock

Forum Lieutenant

• 153 posts

Grenades has always been a big thing in halo (and most shooters) but I don't think I've seen any in Destiny. Might it be that the classes different "abilities" like the warlocks hadoken substitutes the granades? Or have I just missed them?

It's possible, when they were showing off the weapons and armor there was no spot for grenades. Who knows what they will do to substitue the grenades.

Muffin Slapper Jr

Muffin Slapper Jr

Forum Lieutenant

• 269 posts

Remember the Fallen Pipe Stalker guy would have killed both players had the guy we saw everything through not been using an invincibility mod. He stated that he would have been easily killed...look how quickly it took down the Hunter.

Shock

Shock

Forum Lieutenant

• 153 posts

Yeah they stated they would need to be higher levels to take on this guy in the interview with Adam Sessler

Zicorth

Zicorth

Apprentice

• 50 posts

It's possible, when they were showing off the weapons and armor there was no spot for grenades. Who knows what they will do to substitue the grenades.

Actually, they did show examples of "Pulse" grenades, if you watch the gameplay closely.

Shock

Shock

Forum Lieutenant

• 153 posts

Actually, they did show examples of "Pulse" grenades, if you watch the gameplay closely.

Ah so they did, my bad :P

Zicorth

Zicorth

Apprentice

• 50 posts

Ah so they did, my bad :P

No worries. :)

By the way, do you happen to have Halo: Reach? If so, would you be interested in playing? I have not played it in almost 2 years, and it has a lot more content than Halo 4 (with Firefight, an awesome Campaign, better default maps, etc). :)

Shock

Shock

Forum Lieutenant

• 153 posts

I do have Reach, I actually have every Halo game made for the Xbox. Add me on XBL and we can play sometime.

Colmarr

Colmarr

Forum Lieutenant

• 251 posts

They stated their AI was super smart in Destiny. I believe they stated that they will actually learn from play styles of gamers. Would be amazing if it is true!

I'm pretty sure I've also heard that enemies will alter from visit to vist, so that if the same two players ran through that facility again, a different combination of fallen might arise and they might spawn in different areas. That's both good (it means the run will never become predictable) and bad (because you can't learn from your mistakes and find workable strategies). If it's true, I'm interested to see how it works out.

Jikar

Jikar

Risen from the Grave

• 333 posts

That's both good (it means the run will never become predictable) and bad (because you can't learn from your mistakes and find workable strategies). If it's true, I'm interested to see how it works out.

It's good that you won't be able to find workable strategies, it prevents exploitation of a particular caveat in a level.

Muffin Slapper Jr

Muffin Slapper Jr

Forum Lieutenant

• 269 posts

I played Halo so much that I knew all the tricks on tricking the AI :)

Colmarr

Colmarr

Forum Lieutenant

• 251 posts

Variable AI is a problem for progression, because it means you can never reach a point where (to use a WoW term) a boss is 'on farm'. If a fight is random, you can't ever be confident of beating it and if you can be confident of beating fights 1-5, you cant focus on progressing against fight 6. I'm interested to see how this works in practice. Perhaps it's just the normal enemies who are random and bosses are fairly structured.

Captain Walker

Captain Walker

Recruit

• 13 posts
It just means that they won't be exactly the same every time you play it. Maybe it's close one time but the fallen captain does a backflip instead of a barrel roll. They aren't going to sit there and let you pick them off, they will take cover and or try to flank. This doesn't mean there is not progression against them, it means you have to take control of the fight every time. Move around the map and keep the enemies on their toes.