Friend or Foe? (Crossing Paths)

FriendFoe Crossing Paths Open world

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

DEVD

DEVD

New Blood

• 4 posts

So in Destiny we know there will be a story mode, some kind of PVP mode, and some kind of open world questing mode. We know that when you are out and about Questing that there is a good chance that someone is going to cross paths with you. So far the crossing of paths has mostly been shown to be a positive thing. "A Guardian pops out of the background just in time to save your sorry ass." is usually what we've heard happens. But there have been a few hints that this Guardian that appears could attack instead of aid. I've mostly noticed these little hints in the Mail sack. A few months ago someone had mentioned how they trusted someone and gave them a ride somewhere, and how it ended badly (I'm paraphrasing) and just in the last mailsack (or the one before the last one, can't remember) Someone was saying something along the lines of "My favorite part is when you cross with guardians and you have the choice to either [redacted]" What were the choices? He says either, so it's two different things which leads me to believe that you have the choice to either aid, or kill the other guardian. If this is how it works, then it only leads me to more questions. How does the loot work? What's to stop me from helping the guardian then deciding to kill them after we reach Charlemagne's Vault? Will it be like EVE where the PVPers are marked in red? So stoked for E3 tomorrow my mind is just racing. Your thoughts?

• Noles likes this

Zicorth

Zicorth

Apprentice

• 50 posts

A very interesting question that I would like the answer to. I am sure that if they do put this in as an option, there may have to be some "MMO-style" red marking. Or, if they do not do that, they will have to consider if (since you have the option to kill the Guardian) you accidentally friendly-fire on them...would friendly-fire be enabled for the whole fight, or until the enemy CPUs were killed? Regardless, If you happen to accidentally shoot them...?

...To say the least, it may cause issues. Though, it would be much more exciting and intense, if that was the case. We will have to wait for E3, or perhaps even for Destiny to actually come out, to know for sure. Personally, I would like to see it in same form or another, in the final game, though having to be careful not to shoot other Guardians could be annoying...

What do you think? :)

Journey

Journey

New Blood

• 4 posts

Well I guess you better watch out for me, I might just help the Cabal in killing your sorry ass then take your stuff. haha 

Jikar

Jikar

Risen from the Grave

• 333 posts

I like the human element of the game that is implemented in this fashion. It potentially adds to the scale of the game as a whole, giving you a new experience every time you visit a location.

Sanguine_01

Sanguine_01

Apprentice

• 30 posts

Sounds good to me and after watching E3 it could be an awesome scenario.

Imagine.

Your on a quest and make it to your destination.  You kill off most of the enmies and the boss comes out, suddenly help arrives via some ships to make the battle a smooth fight.  Moments later the boss is defeated and the helpers go on their way waving good bye.  You begin to walk towards your earned loot and suddenly a cutscene takes place with 3 players landing via drop ships, its the same guys who just helped you returning with red HP bars instead of blue guns at the ready?  Were here to take your loot! 

Mykle

Mykle

Forum Colonel

• 1871 posts
In the gameplay reveal I swear I saw whatshisface shoot Jason jones in the head and nothing happened. There were so many people shooting the tank and no crossfire was observed (by me). I think hostile encounters will have to be agreed upon in some way.
  • Colmarr likes this

Noles

Noles

Community Manager

• 4251 posts
I wonder what the PVP arenas will be like.

Sanguine_01

Sanguine_01

Apprentice

• 30 posts

Something else i noticed was there were two yellow marker players in the beginning of the community event.  There was a blg blast by the Devil Walker and they were gone.  Im wondering if they first encountered the event and the others happened to join it or if they were NPC's,  They have to have been special somehow.

Mykle

Mykle

Forum Colonel

• 1871 posts
Who knows? That demo was rigged and not indicative of the unpredictable nature of the game we will actually play.

Colmarr

Colmarr

Forum Lieutenant

• 251 posts

In the gameplay reveal I swear I saw whatshisface shoot Jason jones in the head and nothing happened. There were so many people shooting the tank and no crossfire was observed (by me). I think hostile encounters will have to be agreed upon in some way.

WoW handles PvP a couple of ways: 1. You can choose to play on a dedicated PvP server. On such a server, any player can attack any other player at any time. (Not sure whether AoE effects automatically cause friendly fire on these servers) 2. You choose to play on a dedicated PvE servier. On these servers, you can't harm other players except in dedicated battlegrounds (that players have to voluntarily join) or by asking the other player to duel. There's been no mention of multiple servers for Destiny, so in the absence of dedicated PvP servers I imagine there will be a duel option for open-world PvP.