Photo

Anyone play the new Gambit PvEvP mode?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Art of War

Art of War

Knights of the 7 Kingdoms

• 757 posts

I didn't get a chance to try out the Gambit demo yesterday... did anyone try it out? Thoughts?

wonega

wonega

Forum Lieutenant

• 259 posts

yes, I played about 6 matches, it's supposed to be a 4v4 gamemode but like always people quit thick and fast and just like competitve crucible matches nobody replaces quitters so, first match was 4v1 washout second match was a 4v3 washout third match was 3v3 which was a even match but you did feel like your on your own half the time.

4th match was 4v4 finally, but was still one sided tactically my teamates were poor never invading and never putting up a fight against an invader, one of the opp players had 32 gaurdian kills.

My thoughts on this gamemode in general is it will be interesting to see how it evolves it looks like it can be very tactical (I learned a lot rewatching gambit video's on youtube after playing), I hear Bungie has a team of developers just for gambit so I expect they may tweak a few things ,but as a solo player playing with randoms it's yet another activity that is more likely going to frustrate you.

The two things I would change is allow people to join mid game and make it a 6v6 gamemode so if you lose a couple of players for a short time it's not a complete disaster.

here is a good beginners tips video from Ms5000watts

• Vipertec and Art of War like this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4254 posts

I only had the chance to play one match , couldn't get the right weapon combo , it was fun , but IMO as of right now I think this has the possiblity of going the way of POE and Archon Forge , at first everyone will play then ....................no one, I could be wrong we will have to wait and see , the only other thing I thought is that most of the enemies (non Guardians) are bullet sponges , like I said these are my opinions after only one match , after I get to play it more I may have a different opinion. 

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Lore Apprentice

• 430 posts

Gave it about an hour or so yesterday, but didn't get all that much experience with it truthfully. Seems like Bungie had limited the map to the EDZ one exclusively, so variety was not on its side.
It was cool, but I can definitely see where it needs some changes. Considering it's also a PVP format, I think Power ammo needs to be made much more scarce, even if that's only preventing it from dropping from enemies and limiting it to Power spawns exclusively.
It's also very easy to throttle or be throttled in, even if there's only a one teammate difference between the opposing team and your own.

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5184 posts

I played two matches and never went back in.

First match. We go in 4v4 at the Drifter.  We load into the match 3v2.  My team was the 3. We won. The other team got nowhere.

Second match.  We're at the drifter 4v4.  I turn right and two players left.  We load into the game 4v2.  I played one round, then left after that.

The game mode seems fun, but when idiots leave before it even starts, they're just f-ing with you and you're screwed.  

Art of War

Art of War

Knights of the 7 Kingdoms

• 757 posts

I played two matches and never went back in.

First match. We go in 4v4 at the Drifter.  We load into the match 3v2.  My team was the 3. We won. The other team got nowhere.

Second match.  We're at the drifter 4v4.  I turn right and two players left.  We load into the game 4v2.  I played one round, then left after that.

The game mode seems fun, but when idiots leave before it even starts, they're just f-ing with you and you're screwed.  

Yes, that's always been the problem with PvP (in many games)... by it's very nature it attracks assholes. Hopefully Bungie implements some sort of harsh penalties for players that abandon matches or this mode that relies on other players will be a flop.

• Vipertec and michael6745 like this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4254 posts

Yes, that's always been the problem with PvP (in many games)... by it's very nature it attracks assholes. Hopefully Bungie implements some sort of harsh penalties for players that abandon matches or this mode that relies on other players will be a flop.

I agree , like I said this has the potential to end up going the way POE and Archon Forge did , everyone plays at first , then no one plays at all .

****SPOILER ALERT*******

Sort of. I read a Gamer Rant article last night that said in order to get a certain Hand Cannon part of the quest is going to include invasion kills , there is a whole lot more involved but I won't get into that here , my point is , If this does go the way of afore mentioned game modes , you won't be able to complete the quest , I think the number was 250 not sure , one part of the quest had 250 kills , don't remember which part though .

• Art of War and michael6745 like this

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5184 posts

I agree , like I said this has the potential to end up going the way POE and Archon Forge did , everyone plays at first , then no one plays at all .

****SPOILER ALERT*******

Sort of. I read a Gamer Rant article last night that said in order to get a certain Hand Cannon part of the quest is going to include invasion kills , there is a whole lot more involved but I won't get into that here , my point is , If this does go the way of afore mentioned game modes , you won't be able to complete the quest , I think the number was 250 not sure , one part of the quest had 250 kills , don't remember which part though .

SPOILER ALERT!!!

From what I heard it's only 5 invasion kills with a hand cannon, but 250 hand cannon kills in PvE and several other steps.  I totally think the path for that certain HC is doable.  I think Gambit is going to be around and used a lot . I just had two games with idiots.

I also think that if enough matches have quitters, Reddit will be lit up and Bungie will have to do something.

this is the quest if you're wanting to know.  I think it is very doable.

Spoiler

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4254 posts

SPOILER ALERT!!!

From what I heard it's only 5 invasion kills with a hand cannon, but 250 hand cannon kills in PvE and several other steps.  I totally think the path for that certain HC is doable.  I think Gambit is going to be around and used a lot . I just had two games with idiots.

I also think that if enough matches have quitters, Reddit will be lit up and Bungie will have to do something.

this is the quest if you're wanting to know.  I think it is very doable.

Spoiler

I read on Gamer Rant that the Crucible Hand Cannon kills are precision if that the  case I'm doomed to be doing that forever ,While I do sometime use a Hand Cannon in Crucible , I can tell you I don't if ever get a precision kill it's mainly point , shoot and hope for the best !

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5184 posts

I read on Gamer Rant that the Crucible Hand Cannon kills are precision if that the  case I'm doomed to be doing that forever ,While I do sometime use a Hand Cannon in Crucible , I can tell you I don't if ever get a precision kill it's mainly point , shoot and hope for the best !

That is correct.  25 precision HC kills.  Over time, it will happen.

DefiantMars

DefiantMars

Forum Lieutenant

• 204 posts

I just want to say that Cabal Scorpius Turrets are the worst god damn things to ever exist in Gambit. Not only are they elites so they have high health, but they also have insane range and the worst stagger I have ever encountered. That alone makes me want to quit when Cabal show up.

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Lieutenant

• 204 posts

I've only played on September 1st but it has potential to be fun with a full fireteam.  Just another game mode to try to figure out. 

• Art of War and michael6745 like this

wonega

wonega

Forum Lieutenant

• 259 posts

I got 2 teammates queing up at the portal with hand cannons waiting for someone to activate it , that damn ace of spades quest is ruining Gambit at the minute, and when the drifter says you have enough motes to get a primeval then bank the god damn motes FFS!

• Vipertec and michael6745 like this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4254 posts

I haven't play much waiting till I get some decent gear all my year one stuff is under leveled and I feel I wouldn't be  helpful against all the bullet sponges ! 

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Lieutenant

• 204 posts

I got the Ace of Spades over the weekend and it is phenomenal.  The 5 kills in Gambit took me like 3 games but I was playing with a fireteam who was also trying to get their 5 kills as well.  The rest of the quest line took a little time but wasn't overly long and drawn out.  I used a Crimson at 380 for the quest when I need precision shots or kills in Gambit. 

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5184 posts

Gambit is frustrating. I can't get the 5 hand cannon kills. I came close several times.  One I was one shot away and my teammate takes the kill.  First time ever I screamed "F" you at my screen.  Another time, I was one shot and the invader timer ran out and he disappeared.  So, I'm jealous of you getting your ACE so quickly.  *sigh*

• sgtcoy likes this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4254 posts

Gambit is frustrating. I can't get the 5 hand cannon kills. I came close several times.  One I was one shot away and my teammate takes the kill.  First time ever I screamed "F" you at my screen.  Another time, I was one shot and the invader timer ran out and he disappeared.  So, I'm jealous of you getting your ACE so quickly.  *sigh*

You'll get it , soon , I know this for a fact , especially if it's the first time you cussed the game out loud , I've been doing that since D1 , LOL

• michael6745 likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5184 posts

You'll get it , soon , I know this for a fact , especially if it's the first time you cussed the game out loud , I've been doing that since D1 , LOL

Oh, I've cussed the game out. But usually quietly, or just in my head.  This was the the first time I yelled it.

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Lieutenant

• 204 posts

I got the Chaperone done today and not to be a spoiler but one step is Gambit related.  I knocked out the portion in 2 games.  Just found the right lobby and got extremely lucky...  I think I'm on a 4 win streak in Gambit.  Once again very lucky with randoms.  As of right now, I am having fun with it.  I wouldn't play it for an extended period of time but 3 or 4 games ever now and then is pretty reasonable. 

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5184 posts

I got the Ace of Spades last night.  I played some PvE with it to try it out as it was late. Like midnight (I get up at 445am).  I'm stoked to actually play the game with it.

• sgtcoy likes this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4254 posts

I got the Ace of Spades last night.  I played some PvE with it to try it out as it was late. Like midnight (I get up at 445am).  I'm stoked to actually play the game with it.

See , I told you you'd get it soon , cussing at the TV ALWAYS helps !!  :D

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5184 posts

See , I told you you'd get it soon , cussing at the TV ALWAYS helps !!  :D

TBH. I cheesed the invader kills.

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4254 posts

TBH. I cheesed the invader kills.

Hey whatever it takes !! When I'm ready to do that part you'll have to tell me how to cheese it , I like cheese !! 

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5184 posts

Hey whatever it takes !! When I'm ready to do that part you'll have to tell me how to cheese it , I like cheese !! 

I spent All day saturday and most of Sunday and didn't get a kill.  My blood pressure went up.  I almost threw my Scuf at my TV.  So I asked a clan mate who is a PvP god.  He got it done for me in less than an hour.  

if was was able to be in a full fire team and coordinating, I could probably have done this, but I'm not that good.

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4254 posts

I spent All day saturday and most of Sunday and didn't get a kill.  My blood pressure went up.  I almost threw my Scuf at my TV.  So I asked a clan mate who is a PvP god.  He got it done for me in less than an hour.  

if was was able to be in a full fire team and coordinating, I could probably have done this, but I'm not that good.

I'm pretty sure your a better Crucible player then I am , if you couldn't get this done I never will, I try like hell but me and Hand Cannon precision kills in the Crucible don't happen too often especially since they took my Better Devil's , just another Destiny gun I won't have , on the bright side I already do have the original one (D1) !!

• michael6745 likes this