Class Discussion

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5205 posts

Kingdomville posted a blurb

"When Dawnblades can't land airborne attacks reliably even with Swift Strike active, because in-air-accuracy is specifically neutered to prevent skill-gaps, but Voidwalkers can completely gloss over their recovery stat and that's apparently considered less powerful... *sigh*."

I wanted to discuss classes.  What do you think is good/bad about your specific class that you prefer to play and what don't you like about other classes.

Are you talking about the Dawnblade attack, or just any in air attack with standard weapons.

There are times I feel Dawnblade is too overpowered.  They can cast Dawnblade, kill me, I respawn and they kill me again.  Or if I'm in super (golden gun) I can be one shotted by the Dawnblade attack, but it takes two shots from my GG to kill a Dawnblade in super.

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Lore Apprentice

• 431 posts

Kingdomville posted a blurb

I wanted to discuss classes.  What do you think is good/bad about your specific class that you prefer to play and what don't you like about other classes.

Are you talking about the Dawnblade attack, or just any in air attack with standard weapons.

There are times I feel Dawnblade is too overpowered.  They can cast Dawnblade, kill me, I respawn and they kill me again.  Or if I'm in super (golden gun) I can be one shotted by the Dawnblade attack, but it takes two shots from my GG to kill a Dawnblade in super.

Attunement of Flame does allow for a very proficient Super, that's true, but that Attunement has nothing else going for it. The melee is unreliable in PvP, and the Phoenix Dive ability isn't nearly as good as it might seem. And correct me if I'm wrong Michael, but I'd suggest that's probably mostly because you're body-shooting with your Golden Gun. I'm confident a well placed precision hit with the Way of the Sharpshooter Golden Gun would definitely shut an enemy Daybreak down easily, not to mention that you'll only run into them that soon if they're using a specific movement mode.
Attunement of Sky isn't much better, since the entirety of it's use revolves around you using the air to your advantage. So how are you supposed to do that if you're then being punished for trying to play the way it's intended?

Dawnblade is the only Subclass I still have major gripes with. Gunslinger and Sentinel could also use some touch-ups I think, but at least their neutral games are more consistent. Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't want to see Attunement of Hunger Voidwalkers nerfed. I just want to be able to feel as good playing a Dawnblade as I do a Voidwalker.

For other stuff, I would like to see one of the Gunslinger trees get some more benefits out of their grenades, as Gunslinger grenades don't feed into any builds at the moment. I also think that the timer for the Six-Shooter Golden should be exactly the same as the other spec, and a buff to throwing knife aim assist would probably be nice to. For Sentinel, the only thing that really needs touching is Ward of Dawn. It needs to be able to take more damage and last longer to even be worth considering.

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5205 posts

Attunement of Flame does allow for a very proficient Super, that's true, but that Attunement has nothing else going for it. The melee is unreliable in PvP, and the Phoenix Dive ability isn't nearly as good as it might seem. And correct me if I'm wrong Michael, but I'd suggest that's probably mostly because you're body-shooting with your Golden Gun. I'm confident a well placed precision hit with the Way of the Sharpshooter Golden Gun would definitely shut an enemy Daybreak down easily, not to mention that you'll only run into them that soon if they're using a specific movement mode.
Attunement of Sky isn't much better, since the entirety of it's use revolves around you using the air to your advantage. So how are you supposed to do that if you're then being punished for trying to play the way it's intended?

Dawnblade is the only Subclass I still have major gripes with. Gunslinger and Sentinel could also use some touch-ups I think, but at least their neutral games are more consistent. Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't want to see Attunement of Hunger Voidwalkers nerfed. I just want to be able to feel as good playing a Dawnblade as I do a Voidwalker.

For other stuff, I would like to see one of the Gunslinger trees get some more benefits out of their grenades, as Gunslinger grenades don't feed into any builds at the moment. I also think that the timer for the Six-Shooter Golden should be exactly the same as the other spec, and a buff to throwing knife aim assist would probably be nice to. For Sentinel, the only thing that really needs touching is Ward of Dawn. It needs to be able to take more damage and last longer to even be worth considering.

It's difficult for me to really comment as I've only been playing my Hunter.  But to me, the Dawnblade and the Hammers are lethal as you only need to be close with your throw and the splash damage takes care of the rest.  With the GG, you need to be right on target.  Except for yesterday.  I put 4 shots into an arcblade and didn't even take down his shields.  I'm marking that one up to latency.  

I love how the Titan go the Armamatarium back, and now they get double 'nads. where the Hunter's YAS doesn't get double 'nads.  The hunter is just screwed.  

I do agree though, that if the warlock has this aerial attack, you'd think they in air accuracy would be better.  However, I think the Warlock right now is the strongest class out there.

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4276 posts

I don't change my class too much , Warlock / Voidwalker , Titan / Striker , Hunter / Arcstrider and Nightstalker , my Hunter is the only one I change depending on what mode I'm playing ! I can't figure how to get my Titan to throw the shields , she'll throw on or 2 and that's it no matter how much I push the button she won't throw any more ! I am thinking about using the bubble again on my Titan as I have the Helm of the Saint .  

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Lore Apprentice

• 431 posts

I don't change my class too much , Warlock / Voidwalker , Titan / Striker , Hunter / Arcstrider and Nightstalker , my Hunter is the only one I change depending on what mode I'm playing ! I can't figure how to get my Titan to throw the shields , she'll throw on or 2 and that's it no matter how much I push the button she won't throw any more ! I am thinking about using the bubble again on my Titan as I have the Helm of the Saint .  

I tend to change up my loadout every match, just so I can have a little bit of variety in each of my games. Voidwalker, Sunbreaker and Nighstalker are what I tend to enjoy most though.

It's difficult for me to really comment as I've only been playing my Hunter.  But to me, the Dawnblade and the Hammers are lethal as you only need to be close with your throw and the splash damage takes care of the rest.  With the GG, you need to be right on target.  Except for yesterday.  I put 4 shots into an arcblade and didn't even take down his shields.  I'm marking that one up to latency.  

I love how the Titan go the Armamatarium back, and now they get double 'nads. where the Hunter's YAS doesn't get double 'nads.  The hunter is just screwed.  

I do agree though, that if the warlock has this aerial attack, you'd think they in air accuracy would be better.  However, I think the Warlock right now is the strongest class out there.

You'd think the splash would be enough, but I kid you not, the last time I used my Dawnblade, I threw 4 times at 2 enemies that must've been about 3 metres away from me at the most, and they didn't take ANY damage. Hammers do what Daybreak should.
But you're right, that Arcstrider should've died. Probably had a full set of Masterwork armour or something.

Yeah, Hunter Exotics are kind of underwhelming at the moment. Maybe give the FR0ST-EE5 a try though? You get your grenades back super fast when sprinting, and with the amount of sprinting you do you should have a pretty constant stream of ability energy.

And while I would agree that the Warlock is the best class at the moment (#WEARETHEMASTERRACE :P ), that doesn't mean it doesn't have its shortcomings. Exhibit A: Dawnblade.

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5205 posts

You'd think the splash would be enough, but I kid you not, the last time I used my Dawnblade, I threw 4 times at 2 enemies that must've been about 3 metres away from me at the most, and they didn't take ANY damage. Hammers do what Daybreak should.

But you're right, that Arcstrider should've died. Probably had a full set of Masterwork armour or something.

Yeah, Hunter Exotics are kind of underwhelming at the moment. Maybe give the FR0ST-EE5 a try though? You get your grenades back super fast when sprinting, and with the amount of sprinting you do you should have a pretty constant stream of ability energy.

And while I would agree that the Warlock is the best class at the moment (#WEARETHEMASTERRACE :P ), that doesn't mean it doesn't have its shortcomings. Exhibit A: Dawnblade.

I think you're having the same issue with latency as I am.  The arcstrider was point blank range and I know I hit all 4 shots.  At most it takes two.  I have a full set of masterwork armor and it does diddly squat in keeping me alive in my super.

This is my frustration with the golden gun. 

Both trees of the golden have the timing of the super equalized to ~8 sseconds.  

I see a group of enemies and pop my super and they team shoot me in .00000023 seconds. (yes, I counted  :P )

So, to counter this, when I see a group, I back up, pop my super, come around the corner and they've all scattered like cockroaches when you turn the light on.  So then I go hunting and before I take two steps my golden gun is gone.

The Dawnblade and the Striker Titan's super last about 15 seconds.  I've been killed by the super, 7 seconds later I respawn and they've traveled enough that they're on top of me and I'm dead again.  

I understand that when the golden gun is fired, the affect is instant, but as I said, it doesn't have splash damage.  Also, I usually need two hits to take many of the supers down, whereas dawnblade and striker can take the golden gun out in one hit.

I am still trying to get the FR0ST-EE5.  I've gotten three exotic engrams in the wild this week and they've all been exotics that I have, cold heart, orpheus rig and something else.  I'm hoping the fated engram this weekend will give me what I want.

And on top of that, the Titan get's the Armamatarium back with double nades and the Hunter can't get double nades.  *sub-vocal cussing*

All that said though.  There have been many games where I have high score using the golden gun.  So, am I just a grumpy old man or do I have some valid points?

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Lore Apprentice

• 431 posts

I think you're having the same issue with latency as I am.  The arcstrider was point blank range and I know I hit all 4 shots.  At most it takes two.  I have a full set of masterwork armor and it does diddly squat in keeping me alive in my super.

This is my frustration with the golden gun. 

Both trees of the golden have the timing of the super equalized to ~8 sseconds.  

I see a group of enemies and pop my super and they team shoot me in .00000023 seconds. (yes, I counted  :P )

So, to counter this, when I see a group, I back up, pop my super, come around the corner and they've all scattered like cockroaches when you turn the light on.  So then I go hunting and before I take two steps my golden gun is gone.

The Dawnblade and the Striker Titan's super last about 15 seconds.  I've been killed by the super, 7 seconds later I respawn and they've traveled enough that they're on top of me and I'm dead again.  

I understand that when the golden gun is fired, the affect is instant, but as I said, it doesn't have splash damage.  Also, I usually need two hits to take many of the supers down, whereas dawnblade and striker can take the golden gun out in one hit.

I am still trying to get the FR0ST-EE5.  I've gotten three exotic engrams in the wild this week and they've all been exotics that I have, cold heart, orpheus rig and something else.  I'm hoping the fated engram this weekend will give me what I want.

And on top of that, the Titan get's the Armamatarium back with double nades and the Hunter can't get double nades.  *sub-vocal cussing*

All that said though.  There have been many games where I have high score using the golden gun.  So, am I just a grumpy old man or do I have some valid points?

Nah, you're totally right Michael. Something that requires precision shooting should have a much longer timer than something that (most of the time) should be able to rely on splash damage to account for less aim.

Yet to play my Titan in Warmind, so I don't know how effective the Armamentarium is gonna be. Used it all the time for double Flashbangs on my Striker in D1 though. Why does Young Ahamkara's Spine not have double Tripmines? Guess we'll never know. But there's an Exotic Armour tuning update still to come! So who knows, maybe that's how they'll improve it.

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5205 posts

Why does Young Ahamkara's Spine not have double Tripmines? Guess we'll never know. 

My guess is that people complained that the gunslinger was too OP and the trip mines were too OP.  So, they took my double nades away and nerfed the GG.  But that's just my guess.  

But the Titan gets two of the most powerful nades in the game...  go figure.

• DefiantMars likes this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4276 posts

I actually played a round of Mayhem Rumble the other day (Destiny 1) and my Blade Dancer was all but useless no matter how many times I hit someone it didn't even scratch them , good thing I had guns !! 

• michael6745 likes this

DaniArrow

DaniArrow

Forum Commander

• 1245 posts

Funny 'cause I recently switched classes. Mostly because I've been playing the same since the release of D2 and putting together a new armour set with new mods sounded fun. 

I still play my Arc Warlock in the raids and strikes as it's just awesome for clearing out large numbers of enemies. However I did put together a Voidwalker build for escalation protocol and PvP. It's so much fun. Devour your grenade, get the devour buff and pick up the sword to go nuts. You basically get health regeneration as long as they keep coming. Nezarec's Sin and Graviton Lance, my abilities recharge fast as D1  :P .

On my Titan I switched from Defender to Sunbreaker. Basically because the ward of dawn thing isn't really needed anywhere in D2. It used to be a huge deal in D1 but here it's pretty useless. Hallowfire Heart gives me grenades like... again... D1.  :D