Photo

The future of the forum

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5074 posts

I just saw on Twitter that the PD YouTube and Podcast have been discontinued.

What does that mean for the forum?

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Lore Apprentice

• 407 posts

NO.
We can't lose the forum. Please. This is my happy place.

Art of War

Art of War

Knights of the 7 Kingdoms

• 737 posts

It's sad. We all had high hopes for the Destiny franchise. But you can't hitch your wagon to a train-wreck and expect good things to happen. The only satisfaction I can get from this is that someday soon Bungie will feel the misery they put the Destiny community through as their entire Destiny franchise burns to the ground.

Now I'm off to play more Bloodborne. A game I got for free and have enjoyed more than the Destiny 2 game I paid $90 for including the expansion DLCs that I'll never even download or play.

• sgtcoy likes this

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

Undead Hunter Master race

• 1525 posts

I'd be bummed if the site shut down. 

There are a lot of you that I like chatting with that play on the PS side of the universe that I'd probably never see again. 

And thats :(

Marshy68

Marshy68

Forum Sergeant

• 62 posts

The forum can't die. its one of the few that will work on my work computers.

• sgtcoy likes this

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Lieutenant

• 183 posts

This would stink.  Not going to lie.  I have been waiting for months for everyone to hop on and say that D2 has completely transformed into something so great I would be forced to play it again.  But so far its not happened.  So as much as I would hate for the website to disappear I would not be surprised.  If people don't use it or watch the videos it would be hard to keep it going. 

• Art of War and Marshy68 like this

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5074 posts

This would stink.  Not going to lie.  I have been waiting for months for everyone to hop on and say that D2 has completely transformed into something so great I would be forced to play it again.  But so far its not happened.  So as much as I would hate for the website to disappear I would not be surprised.  If people don't use it or watch the videos it would be hard to keep it going. 

I was hoping to be able to do this next Tuesday once 1.1.4 drops.  

Only Noles would know the future of this forum.  I do not know how to get a hold of him.

I'm like all of you, I enjoy this forum and enjoy chatting with all of you. It's one of the only places that it doesn't become a salt bath.  We've had our disagreements, but that is good for discussion.  But we've never taken to the nasty point and that is what I love about THIS community.

There's hope..  

https://twitter.com/...825946245820416

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4160 posts

It would be a sad day if these forums went away , this is an awesome community and I would truly miss it ! I guess Noles has to weigh in to see whats really up , but as of right now I think it's just the podcast and You Tube , hopefully not the forums , however with no many of us using these forums anymore I can understand why.

BK54

BK54

Forum Lieutenant

• 175 posts

Wow, people think Destiny 2 is that bad? I enjoy it, maybe some of the strikes and raid suck. But overall, its a great.

I believe, like Mass Effect Andromeda, people had their hopes set way too high.

Heres an personal example,

Gears of War. I loved the first game, so when I heard about a second game, i had high hopes. BUT I went in "seeing" it as its own game and NOT comparing it to its previous game.

• Vipertec likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5074 posts

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Lore Apprentice

• 407 posts

While I must say that I absolutely love D2, and will stand by most of Bungie's decisions for the future, I can see why the majority of the playerbase isn't engaged enough.
For me, it's mostly about the lore, and the air of mystery that surrounds this universe. That's what's always been the real driving force behind my passion for this franchise; seeing secrets and whispers introduced into the game world. When Oryx was introduced as the villain for TTK? I was jumping for joy. When it was told that we would finally get to meet Osiris in COO? I could barely breathe.
But I understand that doesn't work for everyone. The casual-oriented approach this game came out with took everyone by surprise not only because it was a downgrade from Year 3 pf D1, but also because Bungie had been marketing it towards the hardcore playerbase the whole time. As a result, the casual players stay just that, casual, and the hardcore players are driven away because it isn't what they were led to believe. Channels like PD, Datto and PC have become less successful because they're not as 'necessary' ad they used to be (not to diss anyone there, I love you all).

Art of War

Art of War

Knights of the 7 Kingdoms

• 737 posts

Destiny 2 killed Planet Destiny.

It was kind of telling that as TBL narrated his final PD farewell a PvP match from the Destiny 1 Vertigo map played. Damn, I have some great memories of PvP and Iron Banner in Destiny 1. During the video (between 5:50 to 6:42), TBL accurately summarizes how Destiny 2 killed Planet Destiny. This falls squarely on Bungie's shoulders. None of us wanted or expected them to take major steps backwards and deliver this crap game that drove the community away.

• sgtcoy and michael6745 like this

Marshy68

Marshy68

Forum Sergeant

• 62 posts

My only question is could it (PD) return if D2 was revitalised? Is that even possible or should we take it out back of the cosmodrome and get it over with and have no hope of return?

Sad Marshy

• michael6745 likes this

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Lieutenant

• 183 posts

I watched that farewell video last week.  Very interesting.  The biggest thing I got out of it was how much I miss the Crucible in D1.  I would still fire it up and play it like it was new if more people in the clan played. 

The biggest fans of D2 are my family.  They love the state of the game.  Because I'm not playing it... They're haters! 

As quiet as the forums have been in the last 6 months, I still log on every night at work.  Like I've said, I sadly still follow the game, even if its been 5 months since I've played.  I hope the website stays active, though I don't see it returning to the same glory as it was the 1st 3 years.  I didn't post much during that time but enjoyed reading others comments. 

• Art of War, michael6745 and Marshy68 like this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4160 posts

Wow, people think Destiny 2 is that bad? I enjoy it, maybe some of the strikes and raid suck. But overall, its a great.

I believe, like Mass Effect Andromeda, people had their hopes set way too high.

Heres an personal example,

Gears of War. I loved the first game, so when I heard about a second game, i had high hopes. BUT I went in "seeing" it as its own game and NOT comparing it to its previous game.

I have to agree with you , I still enjoy playing D2 , I don't get what everyone dislikes about it , I guess most went in expecting a D1 continuation , Some of the strikes do suck and I won't do the raid cause it looks like a platformer run amok . 

I was a big Gears fan until Gears 4 came out and that's when I jumped ship , luckily I had already started playing Destiny .

• str8upnobs likes this

str8upnobs

str8upnobs

Forum Sergeant

• 73 posts

I love stopping by here on my daily rounds of the web. I hope they can at least salvage/maintain this limb of their Destiny media appendages. It's going on around 2 months since I've been afk in the D2 world. I'd still like to go back if/when there are reasons to do so.

Unfortunately right now games like Assassin's Creed Origins, (and soon to be) Far Cry 5 are offering sooo much good free and paid content to keep their player base engaged, it's hard for me to even manage to attempt to come back and see what's changed.

I've resisted being on the salty side of the fence since launch, but even I am starting to wonder if they may have lost the majority of the player base for good. Only time will tell I guess. If a game like The Division can come back from the dead, maybe D2 can too. Because imho The Division really never even came close to scratching the itch that I had from D1.

• sgtcoy likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5074 posts

My only question is could it (PD) return if D2 was revitalised? Is that even possible or should we take it out back of the cosmodrome and get it over with and have no hope of return?

Sad Marshy

If D2 starts bringing in stuff like D1 that we all need guides for, I can see PD spooling back up. 

I have to agree with you , I still enjoy playing D2 , I don't get what everyone dislikes about it , I guess most went in expecting a D1 continuation , Some of the strikes do suck and I won't do the raid cause it looks like a platformer run amok . 

I like the two of you, enjoy Destiny 2.  I'm kind of worn out on the Crucible which is what kept me playing D1 during the long stretches of nothing to do. Plus trying to finish out my Grimoire score kept me doing things as well.  That's what D2 needs as well.

I've resisted being on the salty side of the fence since launch, but even I am starting to wonder if they may have lost the majority of the player base for good. Only time will tell I guess. If a game like The Division can come back from the dead, maybe D2 can too. Because imho The Division really never even came close to scratching the itch that I had from D1.

They may have lost most.  Depending on how they fix things.  I remember when The Division was going to be the Destiny killer.  Everyone left Destiny for that game. A week later they were back.  But not everyone says how Division has fixed itself and has gotten so much better.  I believe D2 can do the same.  

We may not get all the "known" streamers back. But if D2 corrects itself, it leaves a void in the streaming world to bring forth new talent. Which I would be happy to see.  As you say... "only time will tell"...

The next two updates March 27 and the second DLC in May will be telling.  Hopefully we can get a TTK style update in September that completely fixes D2 like The Taken King did to D1.  

Hopefully they'll keep this forum operational during this time so we can all stay in touch.  I've disagreed with a few of you but I still enjoy the banter.

• str8upnobs, sgtcoy and Marshy68 like this

str8upnobs

str8upnobs

Forum Sergeant

• 73 posts

The next two updates March 27 and the second DLC in May will be telling.  Hopefully we can get a TTK style update in September that completely fixes D2 like The Taken King did to D1. 

I myself will probably shoot for May as my best(soonest) chance to return. Although I did get an invite a couple weeks ago from some clanmates, but unfortunately I was in the middle of a movie with the family so that never materialized.

I agree also that  a big September-ish push (see TTK) could be a boon for this game. . . But iirc that is also in the launch windows of Red Dead Redemption 2 and (rumored) possibly Borderlands 3. You add on top of that whatever new crap CoD puts out + a new Battlefield WWII game, and that's a mighty big minefield to be walking through for a game a year into it's life, fighting for users for an online games service.

Hopefully they'll keep this forum operational during this time so we can all stay in touch.  I've disagreed with a few of you but I still enjoy the banter.

I agree 100%. I don't know what I'll do if I can't get my daily morning Spectral Paladin update from the shout box. Feel like giving the man a beer every morning after reading about him and his wife's trials and tribulations.

• sgtcoy likes this