Photo

Solar Subclasses

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Sergeant

• 108 posts

I'm sure this has already been addressed but after starting my Hunter the last 2 days and playing with the Gunslinger, I have come to realize that the solar subclass is virtuously useless in D2.  I thought my main character's (Warlock) solar subclass was weak (same with Flaming Hammers)...until I played with the Hunter.  I ran 2 strikes as per the Milestone and the challenges were based around the solar subclass, it was almost laughable how useless the golden gun is.  You use your whole super on a elite enemy and it might take his health down 1/2.  Very frustrating.  The grenades were like throwing rolled up toilet paper that was lit with a match.  It did about the same damage. 

Off topic but received the "solar" skyburners oath and used it about half the strike and it was repurposed to the Tone Patrol.  Completely useless (IMO.)

I dunno if I'm the only one out there experiencing this or if this is a topic that is being discussed. 

• Art of War likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4818 posts

Yeah,  the Gunslinger is weak compared to the arc counterparts.  I've been discussing with myself in my head, how I used to run Tripmines with YAS so I'd have two and I would set traps and get a bunch of kills.  Now, I only have one and even with YAS, it's difficult to set traps.  

The Striker's double pulse grenades is where it's at.  Those things are mega powerful and there are TWO of them....

Also, the Gunslinger's gold gun takes more than one shot to take the arc folks out of their super.  It took me three shots to get the sparkly warlock coming after me and they were all full hits.

• sgtcoy likes this

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Sergeant

• 108 posts

Yeah YAS in D1 was very rewarding.  But it seems they focused a little to much on Arc/Void and left the Gunslinger in the dust.  Just mentally keeping a tally of things they have neutered and I'm running low on space in the memory bank.  I need to start bragging on the things they have done better but for every one I almost bring up, 14 bad things get me boiling. 

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4818 posts

I'm at a point know that they know what the shortcomings are.  If you read the post I posted from Reddit where the guy shows how D2 was designed duyring D1 and what has changed etc.  Bungie will update and make things better.  I'm sure of it. Just not as fast as we want. 

I know they're also waiting until the PC version comes out as that has to take a lot of resources right now.  

So hopefully mid November we'll start seeing some things changing.

RagingSociopath

RagingSociopath

Forum Lieutenant

• 255 posts

Honestly, I don't touch Arc on my Hunter. The only reason I touched BD in D1 was invisibility on the go. It was useful, and in clutch situations, and gave me a reason to be a sniper.

Now? Not so much.

Gunslinger itself, I use the six shooter perk tree, which yeah, I don't score crits off Ultras, but on the Heroic Boss for the Injection Rig and other Cabal boss, six shots with a golden gun do a substantial amount of damage.

Personally I prefer to use Nightstalker Subclass with Mobius Quiver though. With a skilled FT a Strike Boss can be rendered useless in a matter of seconds. (Six Void Tethers, 5 of them Crit Hits) followed by the other guardians dropping their supers, and me dropping my grenade on their face, strike bosses crumble pretty quickly. NF I might switch to the longer tether just to get the Crit hit bonus for longer.

• sgtcoy likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4818 posts

Honestly, I don't touch Arc on my Hunter. The only reason I touched BD in D1 was invisibility on the go. It was useful, and in clutch situations, and gave me a reason to be a sniper.

Now? Not so much.

Gunslinger itself, I use the six shooter perk tree, which yeah, I don't score crits off Ultras, but on the Heroic Boss for the Injection Rig and other Cabal boss, six shots with a golden gun do a substantial amount of damage.

Personally I prefer to use Nightstalker Subclass with Mobius Quiver though. With a skilled FT a Strike Boss can be rendered useless in a matter of seconds. (Six Void Tethers, 5 of them Crit Hits) followed by the other guardians dropping their supers, and me dropping my grenade on their face, strike bosses crumble pretty quickly. NF I might switch to the longer tether just to get the Crit hit bonus for longer.

Yeah, I use Nightstalker in PvE as it is more useful, but I use Gunslinger in PvP.

Art of War

Art of War

Knights of the 7 Kingdoms

• 700 posts

Another thing that I think sucks are the Hunter gernades... compared to some of the nuclear gernades of the other classes.

• sgtcoy likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4818 posts

Another thing that I think sucks are the Hunter gernades... compared to some of the nuclear gernades of the other classes.

Agree 100%

• Art of War likes this

RagingSociopath

RagingSociopath

Forum Lieutenant

• 255 posts

Oh, hunters got screwed on Grenades

• Art of War and sgtcoy like this

nrage-is-near

nrage-is-near

Forum Sergeant

• 60 posts

I agree with the general premise you've provided comparing solar subclasses to their other elemental counterparts. Solar subclasses are considerably weaker and provide less functionality than other subclasses in most activities...except for hunters. Hunters' subclasses are probably the most balances in functionality than any other class. The bottom tier for Gunslinger is great for generating orbs for your fire team and is still fun as hell. Celestial Nighthawk does a ton of damage to nightfall bosses (regardless of burn; solar just makes is that much more deadly), dogs in the pleasure gardens (raid), and Calus (raid). Gunslinger is arguably the best class to use in normal mode Calus encounter. Additionally, golden gun can get you out of a pinch in gauntlet and baths sections of the raid if yellow bar ads get a little froggy. Arc Strider is great for ad clearance (especially with Raiden Flux), but if you have a Striker or Stormcaller on your team, they can do that leaving the golden gun for straight burst damage.

Basically, the hunters subclasses are probably the most balanced and provide the most functionality in different circumstances compared to Warlocks or Titans. Bungie's got their work cut out for them to hopefully buff the other solar subclasses; I pray they don't "fix" the solar subclasses by nerfing the arc and/or void subclasses.