Photo

Any reason to play Iron Banner

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

jmccall106

jmccall106

New Blood

• 4 posts

Beyond playing enough to get the weekly milestone, I do not play much PvP in Destiny. I used to play during Iron Banner in D1 because you got at least two decent drops when reaching rank 3 and 5. From what I am hearing, the crucible rep/rewards system is no different that turning in rep tokens to any other vendors. You get a drop when you rank up but nothing that is going to help raise your Power level. If there is no end game level rewards then what reason does that give a non PvP player to spend time in Iron Banner? I mean I suppose if there were a specific weapon or armor set that you like then that's one reason, but at this point I am only interested in ranking up.

HockeyDad21

HockeyDad21

Forum Colonel

• 1865 posts

As mentioned on a previous post, it seems like D2 IB is much different than D1 IB. You kinda had to see this coming with there no longer being faction levels and how the ranking system is set up with the tokens and such. What's most disappointing though is drops not matching or exceeding your light level. For most, IB was a good way to increase that light level  and with weapons having fixed rolls, there is no more grind for events like this.

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

Just play it to play Iron Banner.  

As someone told me, this is vanilla D2.  Hopefully they'll learn from this and things will change for the better.  They have to if they want me to be addicted to D2 like I was D1.

• R MK XXV, sgtcoy and HockeyDad21 like this

HockeyDad21

HockeyDad21

Forum Colonel

• 1865 posts

Just play it to play Iron Banner.  

As someone told me, this is vanilla D2.  Hopefully they'll learn from this and things will change for the better.  They have to if they want me to be addicted to D2 like I was D1.

And that's something we have to keep reminding ourselves is this: that it's Vanilla D2 and there are many changes and updates coming in the next few years. I am sure that Vanilla D1 was disappointing on several levels and you saw how many changes they made up through when ROI was released. As disappointed as we may be with certain aspects of this game, I take a look and see what Bungie is trying to do to make things a little different, even if it may not seem it makes a better experience for some of us. 

Deltatoast89

Deltatoast89

Forum Lieutenant

• 175 posts

And that's something we have to keep reminding ourselves is this: that it's Vanilla D2 and there are many changes and updates coming in the next few years. I am sure that Vanilla D1 was disappointing on several levels and you saw how many changes they made up through when ROI was released. As disappointed as we may be with certain aspects of this game, I take a look and see what Bungie is trying to do to make things a little different, even if it may not seem it makes a better experience for some of us.

The problem with this argument is that these changes were practically reversed with D2. I don’t care if this is “vanilla” D2. There is no excuse for a lot of what Bungie has pulled and I personally don’t feel like paying them money for features that should have been in this game from the get go.
  • sgtcoy likes this

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Sergeant

• 113 posts

3 years to come out with the "new and improved" game.  And we get the same song and dance "Wait around and pay for the expansions and it will be great."  What happened to it being great and the new expansions will make it greaterer? 

My best analogy would be...  You wait all year for Christmas, you open all your gifts and each gift contains, yard sale toys and second hand toys with broken arms or getting a awesome lego set and it missing all the best pieces. 

We shouldn't be saying Vanilla D2 honestly.  This should be year 4 of Destiny.  They know the kinks, what everyone likes/dislikes, what makes the game great for the majority, and what we get is a 10% return on investment.  Honestly, I can't wrap my head around it.  I won't give them a pass for failing to add things that D1 loyalists expect from a game.  This should be a continuation from D1 with new and improved aspects, rewards, and overall content. 

Are we wrong for expecting more from a game that has been improving since Vanilla D1?  Why should we start over with a game that is the same but better but then give excuses for it being a "Vanilla" game?  I just don't see it that way.

• Art of War likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

3 years to come out with the "new and improved" game.  And we get the same song and dance "Wait around and pay for the expansions and it will be great."  What happened to it being great and the new expansions will make it greaterer? 

My best analogy would be...  You wait all year for Christmas, you open all your gifts and each gift contains, yard sale toys and second hand toys with broken arms or getting a awesome lego set and it missing all the best pieces. 

We shouldn't be saying Vanilla D2 honestly.  This should be year 4 of Destiny.  They know the kinks, what everyone likes/dislikes, what makes the game great for the majority, and what we get is a 10% return on investment.  Honestly, I can't wrap my head around it.  I won't give them a pass for failing to add things that D1 loyalists expect from a game.  This should be a continuation from D1 with new and improved aspects, rewards, and overall content. 

Are we wrong for expecting more from a game that has been improving since Vanilla D1?  Why should we start over with a game that is the same but better but then give excuses for it being a "Vanilla" game?  I just don't see it that way.

I have been more vocal recently about my frustrations with the game.  But I am not a game developer.  I would think if they were just expanding on D1, many of our points would be valid.   But this isn't an expansion.  This is a new game from the ground up.  Yes, there are many items from Destiny 1 that I think should have been incorporated but for some reason they weren't.  

For example, the vault. The vault we have in D2 is pitiful.  But maybe they decided to give us a basic vault to see how we stored our 30 versions of the exact same weapon and use the programming time for something else.  ???  

We just have to hope that they listen to the level headed comments about what we want and see what they implement in the future.

They probably won't make any huge changes to the game until after the PC version comes out, otherwise they'd have to change that as well before the launch and may not have time to implement.  So, let's wait until the PC version comes out and see what they do.

I do have to say, if I hadn't played Destiny 1 ever, and just started with Destiny 2, I would say that I've gotten my money's worth for this purchase.  I am always looking at games as $/hour played.  I've pay $60 for a game and was done in 11 hours.  That's $5.45/hour played.

After one month of Playing D2, I have 129 hours of playing time and somehow I have 55 hours of orbit time.  So that comes out to $0.47/hour played and I'm sure I'll be playing more so that number will go down.  

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Sergeant

• 113 posts

Yeah but.....

It might be a new game but the concept is still the same.  I agree that the money is well spent.  I don't want to come off too terrible.  But I've been just playing 2 or 3 days a week and I see the end of the content.  Everyone is running the same guns with the same rolls with the same armor with the same rolls.  It is just lazy IMO.  Like I've said before, they have played with new ideas for 3 years and this is what we got. 

• Art of War likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

I agree. But if you look at it as a stand alone game.  You're Joe Casual coming off the street wanting a new game.  Do you go for the game that you're hearing takes a long time to get the perfect gun, etc. Or do you go for the game you can play casually have the same gun as Tom Hardcore and at least feel you're able to play on the same level because you have the same gun?

Unfortunately, we live in the world were money talks and the casual players are where the money is.  

We the more hardcore people feel let down because we're used to the grind, but Joe Casual may only have 2 hours a week to spend playing.  Not 5 hours a night like I do. 

Art of War

Art of War

Knights of the 7 Kingdoms

• 715 posts

I do like the new 4 vs 4 Crucible and Iron Banner format. Still trying to get used to the new maps. Got a nice surprise yesterday playing the new Distant Shore map that is a tweaked version of the Destiny 1 Shores of Time map. Enjoyed the familiarity. Still not a big fan of the new Iron Banner rewards system. Getting Legendary gear below my current Power Level is crap. Was nice using the Iron Banner in Destiny 1 to Level Up all my other gear and made grinding to rank 5 worth the time. Now grinding to the new level 10 plateau doesn't seem nearly as rewarding.

• michael6745 likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

I think that is part of my problem with D2, when it feels like the only way to rank up is the powerful engrams each week.  Once you're done with those, you have to wait until the next week.

I remembered when I would get an IB helmet that was one (1) light above what I had, I was excited and infused it.  It was worth the grind because you got stuff you could use.

• Art of War, sgtcoy and HockeyDad21 like this

Curtivobrady

Curtivobrady

Apprentice

• 46 posts

You guys are drunk. When that new IB music hits when you land on the map and saladin voice over. This game is heat!

Art of War

Art of War

• 715 posts

You guys are drunk. When that new IB music hits when you land on the map and saladin voice over. This game is heat!

Damn... I should have just bought the Destiny 2 soundtrack then and saved $50 :D

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

No. Unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game.  But it's lacking from what the D1 Iron Banner used to be.  I do love the RoI music they used for the Iron Banner.

One thing they could have done is have Lord Saladin still call us Young Wolf for the veterans.  He forgot that we saved the world from Siva.

• Art of War likes this

Art of War

Art of War

• 715 posts

I agree. But if you look at it as a stand alone game.  You're Joe Casual coming off the street wanting a new game.  Do you go for the game that you're hearing takes a long time to get the perfect gun, etc. Or do you go for the game you can play casually have the same gun as Tom Hardcore and at least feel you're able to play on the same level because you have the same gun?

Unfortunately, we live in the world were money talks and the casual players are where the money is.  

We the more hardcore people feel let down because we're used to the grind, but Joe Casual may only have 2 hours a week to spend playing.  Not 5 hours a night like I do. 

Well I guess we'll have to wait and see if "Joe Casual" players can carry Destiny 2. Destiny 1 had a loyal group of hardcore players that each put in thousands of hours into playing the game. Now Bungie has crapped on us to try to entice lazy "Joe Casual."

• sgtcoy likes this

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Sergeant

• 113 posts

I understand wanting to recruit new players to this franchise.  But at the same time the casual player will not keep this game/franchise going long term.  Sure it might result in 25% of the new players becoming "loyalists" but they would make up a smaller percent when you bring the D1 players who already invested thousands of hours.  It is just hard to argue numbers.  Make the minority happy with a new game that is easy to pick up and be on a even playing field as everyone else or make the already large fan base happy with improvements and upgrades from D1. 

They could have brought some of the current changes with the great improvements they made during year 2 and 3 of D1 and it would have made a amazing game.  But they didn't.  Their "experiments" with this game and hoping people give it a pass because it is vanilla, just doesn't add up to me.  Just talking to my clanmates and hearing their reactions/feelings just reassures me that I'm not crazy and that people are extremely "salty" with the way things are right now. 

Is the game fun?  Of course.  But will I devote the time I did in D1 to D2 with the way things are now?  No.  I will get more sleep at night and play a variety of other games (which is something I haven't done in 3 years.) 

Overall, I'm not alone in wanting and expecting more from a game that should be a HUGE improvement from D1.  Was I wanting the same game with a new title?  No, but bringing some of the fan favorites from the D1 and adding some changes would have been appreciated.

• Art of War likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

Well, Bungie mentioned in the TWAB that they hear us, they've even been looking at it themselves, but they don't have an answer right now and to give them time.  At least they've acknowledged they've heard us.  So let's hope...

I ranked up IB and go the Season 1 package.  An emblem, that doesn't even track anything, just my power level.  grumble...

I did have fun ranking up though.  Yesterday, most of my games were all close games.  I won some I lost some.  But I had fun.  I'm just having fun playing nothing but control.  

• Art of War likes this