Photo

Crap Loot System... what's the point of the grind anymore?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Art of War

Art of War

Knights of the 7 Kingdoms

• 675 posts

So I'm not a big fan of the new Destiny 2 loot system. The grind is totally unrewarding. With my mods I'm a 286. Grinding for hours to turn in tokens to get 279 Legendary gear is frustrating and worthless. Plus, now all weapons and armor have the same rolls... can't even grind anymore for a "God Roll" of a favorite weapon. God Damn I miss my beautiful Grasp of Malok!

Just got done playing several Iron Banner matches... YAY... more 279 gear. Doesn't help much when I'm a 286. What's the point?  Most of my friends that I played Destiny 1 with everyday for years are just as annoyed, frustrated, and have already stopped playing the Destiny 2. This game will be dead in 2 months.

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4746 posts

I agree.  I'm 299/300 on my Hunter depending on what gun I equip.  

Every engram I've received in the past 3 days since I turned 300 is 291.  This does not help me and makes me not care. The loot is exactly the same, so I just shard it and then the Legendary shards just sit there as I can't upgrade anything.

Listening to several podcasts and reading a ton of posts, there is a common theme that the players want something to chase.  That has been taken out of D2 due to the "casual" player.  Hopefully Bungie is paying attention, which I believe they are, and are looking at something to fix this.  Otherwise D2 will not make it 3 years like D1.

Yes, they fixed the story issue and it was amazing, but broke so much more.  

• Art of War and sgtcoy like this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3950 posts

I agree , not only that , if and when I get an Exotic engram or a Clan Engram , I get something I already have !! It can be quite aggravating !!

Curtivobrady

Curtivobrady

Apprentice

• 39 posts

Why don't you guys do Nightfalls and raids to get those higher rewards.

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4746 posts

I get the powerful engrams weekly, which do help.  But I can't do the Raid no NF all the time.  Loot that drops during other activities should not be 9 levels below your current power level.

• Art of War, supermarkus22 and sgtcoy like this

Art of War

Art of War

• 675 posts

Sure that is a way to level up.

But now in Destiny 2 because Bungie made getting a "decent" reward only available in the Raid and Nightfall (oh and their new rare Milestones that offer Powerful Gear) they have made rewards from Strikes, Factions, Vendors, Public Events, Crucible, and the Iron Banner totally worthless. 

• sgtcoy likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4746 posts

I get the powerful engrams weekly, which do help.  But I can't do the Raid no NF all the time.  Loot that drops during other activities should not be 9 levels below your current power level.

I also just now found out that if you're artificially at 300 because of the legendary mods, you'll get lower level drops.  poop!!!

• sgtcoy likes this

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

Undead Hunter Master race

• 1458 posts

The only thing I like about the new loot system is not having to agonize over each weapon or piece of armor I receive trying to figure out if its good or not. 

I thought I wasn't going to like not having random rolls, but now its simply ...

Do I have one of these?  Yes/No. 

Is it infusable into something?  Yes/No

If no then dismantle. 

• sgtcoy and HockeyDad21 like this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4746 posts

The only thing I like about the new loot system is not having to agonize over each weapon or piece of armor I receive trying to figure out if its good or not. 

I thought I wasn't going to like not having random rolls, but now its simply ...

Do I have one of these?  Yes/No. 

Is it infusable into something?  Yes/No

If no then dismantle. 

My only add to this is:

Do I want to keep this piece?

Does my other characters have it? 

Is it a higher light level than what they already have?

• HockeyDad21 likes this

Art of War

Art of War

• 675 posts

My only add to this is:

Do I want to keep this piece?

Does my other characters have it? 

Is it a higher light level than what they already have?

Same rolls on weapons makes the grind disappointing and unrewarding. It's bad enough Bungie did away with searching for ghosts, calcified fragments, faction and vendor rankings, and Grimore scores which all promoted exploration of the game and rewarded the grind.

Back to weapons... so now Bungie even changed the infusion system so only similar weapon types can be used to infuse and Power Up the same type of weapon. Example Auto rifle can only be used Power Up another auto rifle, versus the Destiny 1 process of using any weapon in a weapon class to Level Up a weapon (primary could level up any primary). So now after FINALLY getting a extremely rare decent engram reward above my current Power Level I get a Sub-machine gun that I'll never use and can't even use to Power Up another Energy weapon that I do use.

Destiny 1 had some flaws, but Bungie changed and "fixed" things that weren't the worst part of the game by making them worse and not addressing areas of the game that actually needed tweaking.

• sgtcoy likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4746 posts

Back to weapons... so now Bungie even changed the infusion system so only similar weapon types can be used to infuse and Power Up the same type of weapon. Example Auto rifle can only be used Power Up another auto rifle, versus the Destiny 1 process of using any weapon in a weapon class to Level Up a weapon (primary could level up any primary). So now after FINALLY getting a extremely rare decent engram reward above my current Power Level I get a Sub-machine gun that I'll never use and can't even use to Power Up another Energy weapon that I do use.

I actually don't mind this in some ways.  I actually did this in D1 as much as possible, just because I'm CDO like that.  

I have this same issue, My high light items are pusle rifles, which I do not use.  So I just keep the highest light item in my inventory. Supposedly, when the engrams drop, the highest light items even if they are not equipped are taken into account.  

Deltatoast89

Deltatoast89

Forum Lieutenant

• 167 posts

Same rolls on weapons makes the grind disappointing and unrewarding. It's bad enough Bungie did away with searching for ghosts, calcified fragments, faction and vendor rankings, and Grimore scores which all promoted exploration of the game and rewarded the grind.

Destiny 1 had some flaws, but Bungie changed and "fixed" things that weren't the worst part of the game by making them worse and not addressing areas of the game that actually needed tweaking.

I’ve been saying the same thing to people in my clan. This game needs to fix A LOT with these next two DLC. Most of the quality of life updates that D1 had were either reversed or done away with entirely. These changes are for the worse and may end up killing this game if left unchecked.
  • Mat, Art of War and sgtcoy like this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4746 posts

I will say something positive.

I like how they have classified the archetypes.  Rapid fire, adaptive, lightweight, etc.  That makes it easier to talk about them.

• Mat likes this

Mat

Mat

Forum Colonel

• 1702 posts

why are you confused about grinding up levels? go do stuff for powerful gear, dont expect vendors to give you better gear than you already have

go do the nightfall and stop complaining. the lack of diversity is a valid point but saying that the grind is too hard in this era, the era of zero grind, is just :/

Art of War

Art of War

• 675 posts

why are you confused about grinding up levels? go do stuff for powerful gear, dont expect vendors to give you better gear than you already have

go do the nightfall and stop complaining. the lack of diversity is a valid point but saying that the grind is too hard in this era, the era of zero grind, is just :/

Right... so we'll just do the Nightfall since the Crucible and Strikes are a waste of time anymore. Oh, except for the occasional milestone. Great so we have the Nightfall and Raid and the occasional milestones... and that is supposed to justify making rewards from Strikes, Factions, Vendors, Public Events, Crucible, and the Iron Banner totally worthless.

• sgtcoy likes this

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Sergeant

• 83 posts

I don't think its the grinding that is the problem.  In 2 hours this morning, I have completed all of my powerful gear "milestones" and only lack the NF and Raid.  So I am done with him until next week, unless I run NF or Raid. 

The problem exists because what good does it do to run Crucible, Strikes, Public Events?  It's not like you can get a different gun than you already have with a different roll.  It's not about leveling up to me (because this game is PC and everyone can complete all of the content basically when you hit rank 20), its about exploring/playing the game.  There is nothing to "grind for."  I played D1 literally for 3 years and until the last week had stuff I was grinding for or trying to get a god roll on (for no other reason that to say I had it.)  It is just frustrating that you could play 2 hours for 3 nights and be done for the week (exception being NF/Raid).  No quests, calcified fragments, grimoire, god rolled weapons, faction rep packages, gunsmith, BOUNTIES, crucible bounties, strike bounties, sunrise bounties, or bounties in general.  Point is, after a month of this game being out, we are literally at the end of the content. 

This game has great potential but they fell flat on making it a game that will last.  Example - See Friends list.  1 month being out and weekends, guys are playing other games or not online.  We could only say that on D1 at the end of year 3!!!

• Art of War likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4746 posts

I didn't say I was confused about grinding up levels.  

I am doing the milestones for powerful gear.  But what  I don't like is that ever drop I get is well below my base light level so I can't even use that stuff to upgrade my other stuff.  But I'm 303 now and much of the powerful gear I'm getting is 300, so soon everything will drop at 300.

I was also frustrated yesterday about a lot of things and I took it out on Destiny.  

Destiny 2 is an amazing game.  There are so many thing to do.  I was looking back.  I didn't start Destiny 1 until January 3, 2015, so I missed the vanilla version, etc.  I do remember when I started playing that I was kind of bored as I only did PvE.  Looking at the "Days with Destiny" website, between January 3 2015 and mid June 2015 I only played Destiny a total of 32 days for a few hours each day, there were days I was on for only 30 mintues.  So there was almost a year of Destiny development that happened before I really started to play Destiny.  That's when I started to play PvP more and got hooked.  

I do think that Destiny 2 will become better over time.  But I find it odd that they removed some of the things that were great from D1 that we waited so long for them to implement.

I miss hunting for ghosts, calcified fragments, etc.  That was a fun little thing to do.  We have a long road ahead of us, so let's enjoy the ride and see where it takes us.

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3950 posts

Why do public events and or kill a valuable target , even the loot boxes in the lost sectors and after strikes and adventures are pretty much worthless when you don't get anything good out of it ! 

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4746 posts

Why do public events and or kill a valuable target , even the loot boxes in the lost sectors and after strikes and adventures are pretty much worthless when you don't get anything good out of it ! 

Agree.  The game is fun, there are things to do, but the "ton of loot" is either not there, or just worthless loot that I can't use because it's lower power level than what I have in my inventory, so I can't level anything up.

sgtcoy

sgtcoy

Forum Sergeant

• 83 posts

Does anyone else enjoy going to Hawthorne to get the Raid and Trials weapons without even stepping foot in Trials or the Raid.  I am!!!  Thanks for your hard work clan mates and keep going flawless and spending hours on the Raid so I can get the loot.  No more of you feeling special because I now get the same loot as you for doing nothing.  I'm here for moral support and cheering you on to do your best so I don't have to waste my time and effort.  Kinda feels like a "Real man of Genius" commercial.  Here's to you Hardcore Raid/Trials Guardians, because of you - we get awesome loot and without you we wouldn't get the guns that you worked so diligently for. 

• Art of War likes this

Art of War

Art of War

• 675 posts

I think one of the easiest and quickest ways for Bungie to improve Destiny 2 would be if they allowed Vendors and Factions to give out Milestones (kind of like Bounties in D1). If we could go to the Vendors and Factions to get Milestones for Powerful Gear to increase our Power Level then we can Power Up in either PvE or PvP by grinding those Milestones. Make it happen Bungie. 

• sgtcoy likes this

Staph lnfection

Staph lnfection

Forum Lieutenant

• 267 posts

I really believe the reason why they took so much away is that they would have something to give us in the DLC.

• Mat likes this

Deltatoast89

Deltatoast89

Forum Lieutenant

• 167 posts

I really believe the reason why they took so much away is that they would have something to give us in the DLC.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is actually the case but I think (and secretly hope) that if Bungie does something like that, then the fan base should call them out on it and refuse to pay. The whole idea that Bungie would relegate the features that should've been in the game day 1 and package them in DLC would really give an indication that they see us as nothing more than cash cows. If they pulł that crap, I honestly predict that it could be the death knell of this game for many.