Photo

First Iron Banner of Destiny 2 starts 10/10/2017

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

The one mode of Destiny I've been waiting for is finally back.  It starts tomorrow and I'm actually underwhelmed.  

I'm actually worried.  No power level?  That was the whole fun of the IB.  It gave you a reason to play to get higher light leveled gear.

I may be completely wrong, but it feels like they've neutered the IB from what little I've read. 

It seems just like more of the same.  Control, tokens, rinse repeat.  What is the difference besides the gear offering and a single game mode does the IB have to just picking "quick play"? 

Efrideet won't be there.  What happened to her now?  

Will more of the IB lore be explored, or will it just be, here's the mode, play...  ????

signed

concerned Iron Lord

• Art of War likes this

HockeyDad21

HockeyDad21

Forum Colonel

• 1865 posts

Agreed there Michael. The information provided doesn't seem to promising. I thought Shaxx and Saladin would have provided something more since we last saw him providing a weapon in response to the Cabal attach on the Tower. You don't get drops after matches any more. I am guessing you get it same way as you do now with the Crucible. Just have to wait and see I guess.

RagingSociopath

RagingSociopath

Forum Lieutenant

• 255 posts

The later years of Destiny 1 LL didn't matter in IB... I was going up against people in blues getting smoked while I'm rocking a full Raid Set...

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

The later years of Destiny 1 LL didn't matter in IB... I was going up against people in blues getting smoked while I'm rocking a full Raid Set...

That was just skill.  Some of the better players would grab a blue just to prove it could be done.  That happened to me a lot as well. 

But it was still fun to grind the IB for better gear.  Now it just feels like that fun grind will no longer be there.  Again, I may be wrong.

RagingSociopath

RagingSociopath

Forum Lieutenant

• 255 posts

That was just skill.  Some of the better players would grab a blue just to prove it could be done.  That happened to me a lot as well. 

But it was still fun to grind the IB for better gear.  Now it just feels like that fun grind will no longer be there.  Again, I may be wrong.

Nah, when I start unloading into you scoring crits with a Khovostov, and you still out-shoot me in the difference of 50 or so LL, that's not skill, that's the IB not mattering in Light Level.

HockeyDad21

HockeyDad21

Forum Colonel

• 1865 posts

Another thing to take into consideration is that with D2, you don't have weapons and armor that have different rolls on them. With slight mods, there isn't a difference in those duplicate HC's, AR's, snipers, etc that you get so there isn't the grind anymore to get the nice rolls or right perks sets on the helmet, chest, arm and legs.

Plus this is 'vanilla' Destiny 2. Remember how vanilla D1 was? There will be additions and changes made in the next year so let's see how things turn out.

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

Undead Hunter Master race

• 1481 posts

Not feeling overly excited with the whole 4v4 set up of the crucible, but I'll give it a shot to see how it goes. 

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

Not feeling overly excited with the whole 4v4 set up of the crucible, but I'll give it a shot to see how it goes. 

4v4 is actually not that bad, What sucks is when you run into their 4 camping in one spot and team shooting everything.  Try to always be near a team mate somehow.  

I make too many bull rushing into a situation mistakes.  i've run in, ready to throw a grenade against four of them only to not have a grenade ready and well, I end up as a lump in the corner. 

Art of War

Art of War

Knights of the 7 Kingdoms

• 715 posts

Wow... can't wait to grind Iron Banner for hours to get a bunch of Legendary Armor that's at my current Power Level. What's the point?

• sgtcoy likes this

wonega

wonega

Forum Lieutenant

• 244 posts

Bungie have a disney approach to Destiny 2, they just want you to  enjoy playing the different activities with your friends with no more grind.

Art of War

Art of War

• 715 posts

Yep just like we expected, the Iron Banner grind is worthless. In Destiny 1 we could grind the IB to level up, now we get crap rewards that are several points below our current max Power Level.

This crap loot systems is the best Bungie and Blizzard can collectively come up with? Is anyone satisfied with this new crappy unrewarding loot system?

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

Bungie have a disney approach to Destiny 2, they just want you to  enjoy playing the different activities with your friends with no more grind.

They want you to enjoy it with your friends.  But if your friends aren't playing anymore, who do you play with.  The great thing about D1 is you end up in situations where you're stuck in the cosmodrome in a corner at rank 8 with a Yellow bar Knight kicking your arse, then along come two level 12's who save your arse.  Then you team up with them and make friends and go on to do other things with them.

That mechanic is not in D2.  

Is anyone satisfied with this new crappy unrewarding loot system?

Um no.

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

• 1481 posts

4v4 is actually not that bad, What sucks is when you run into their 4 camping in one spot and team shooting everything.  Try to always be near a team mate somehow.  

I make too many bull rushing into a situation mistakes.  i've run in, ready to throw a grenade against four of them only to not have a grenade ready and well, I end up as a lump in the corner. 

I've played to matches in Crucible so far.  (prior to today)  The matches weren't bad out side of still learning the maps and getting use to the new structure. 

The biggest problem I had, which is the same from D1, was I would be running along side my teammates when I caught a glimpse of red on my radar.  I'd stop and "engage the threat" and once they were taken care of I'd look around for my teammates who were no where to be found ... and my radar would begin flashing red from 3 different directions.

Chaos ensues and I dip, dodge, hop, and try to bounce my way out of being taken out.  Usually there is about a 50% success rate.

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

I've played to matches in Crucible so far.  (prior to today)  The matches weren't bad out side of still learning the maps and getting use to the new structure. 

The biggest problem I had, which is the same from D1, was I would be running along side my teammates when I caught a glimpse of red on my radar.  I'd stop and "engage the threat" and once they were taken care of I'd look around for my teammates who were no where to be found ... and my radar would begin flashing red from 3 different directions.

Chaos ensues and I dip, dodge, hop, and try to bounce my way out of being taken out.  Usually there is about a 50% success rate.

Well, you were doing something better than me as you're D1 KA/D is 1.5 while mine was 0.93.

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

• 1481 posts

Well, you were doing something better than me as you're D1 KA/D is 1.5 while mine was 0.93.

I believe that's tied into my D1 overall.  Not D2.

I've only played 2 games in D2.

Supremacy: (L)    1.00 K/D    1.44 K/DA  8K  7A  8D

Clash:         (W)   .66 K/D   .89 K/DA  6K  4A  9D

Nothing stellar. I did it to start Shax's quest thing. 

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

I believe that's tied into my D1 overall.  Not D2.

I've only played 2 games in D2.

Supremacy: (L)    1.00 K/D    1.44 K/DA  8K  7A  8D

Clash:         (W)   .66 K/D   .89 K/DA  6K  4A  9D

Nothing stellar. I did it to start Shax's quest thing. 

I said D1...  :P

My overall K/D in D2 is 1.00 and my KA/D is 1.33 

Control  65 Matches  1.04KD  1.16KDA  1.29KA/d  699Kills  171Assists  43.0%Win%  28Wins

Clash   62 Matches  1.09KD  1.27KDA  1.45KA/d  732Kills  243Assists  55.0%Win%  34Wins

Supremacy   81 Matches  0.93KD  1.11KDA  1.29KA/d  873Kills  336Assists  47.0%Win%  38Wins

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

• 1481 posts

Lol, yeah, you did. 

I totally missed that. 

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

I played my first Iron Banner rounds last night and here is what I think:

- OMG, I love the fact that they used the RoI music for the Crucible music. 

- I wasn't a big fan of Lord Saladin commenting in game.  He just didn't seem that enthused to be doing it.  But I got used to him and I love some of the lines he says.

- I'm enjoying playing nothing but Control again.

- The games are so strange.  I won a few games, but they were by only a few points. It's great to rally back.  But the games I lost.  101 to 32.  They were so damn lopsided.  Being put up against a full fire team bites.  I played a few where the other team, a full fire team, knew how to lock down a point.  

- Even though the games can be lopsided, I'm actually enjoying myself.  

I know this was the first day of IB, and as the week goes on, the better players will get bored and games will be more evenly matched. Hopefully.  But I am actually enjoying the IB.   I still don't like the tokens.

I was listening to the Guardian Radio podcast on the way home from work last night.  Byf was discussing the whole light leveled Iron Banner issue.  It is in the actual Destiny Lore that the Iron Banner is a test of the Guardians light. 

"The Iron Banner tests a Guardian and the Guardian's gear in a definitive, relentless mock war."

So they went against their own lore to make IB not power level relavent.

Iron Banner Grimoire Card:

http://www.ishtar-co...rds/iron-banner

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3999 posts

Iron Banner is terrible this time around , I'm just not enjoying it at all is seems like the so called skilled based matchmaking is putting players that aren't that good at PVE (like myself) against pro players , it's just horrible teams aren't even close to being evenly matched . The grind just isn't that enjoyable this time around , so far I've only gotten 2  weapons and no armor at all , it appears to me that something is broken in this game , because it seems you do all this work and get nothing to show for it ! 

• Art of War likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

Iron Banner is terrible this time around , I'm just not enjoying it at all is seems like the so called skilled based matchmaking is putting players that aren't that good at PVE (like myself) against pro players , it's just horrible teams aren't even close to being evenly matched . The grind just isn't that enjoyable this time around , so far I've only gotten 2  weapons and no armor at all , it appears to me that something is broken in this game , because it seems you do all this work and get nothing to show for it ! 

Yeah, I've had some games where I get placed on a team with all randoms against a full fire team and we get spanked.  

I did have one game where we randoms were against a full fire team and we spanked them.  They must have been new.

I won more games yesterday than I did on Tuesday.  

I had one game that I felt bad for the other team.  We start the game 3 on 3...  Two of the other team were AFK and I got 4 or 5 kills from them just standing there.  The other guy who was trying was holding his own.  But we rocked that game.  I had an efficiency of 5.0.  

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

• 1481 posts

In 15 games I've received 3 weapons (Sidearm, SMG, Pulse Rifle) and 1 piece of armor (Hunter Helmet - which is what I wanted) out of 4 packages. 

I've played both on a team and solo and overall have played pretty well.  Not to say I haven't gotten stomped pretty good in a few of those games.  But for the most part games have been fairly close. 

So far I like how the games have gone.  My only complaint is the loot.  The tokens for RNG gear really sucks.  And I say this even though I've already received the items I was going for. 

I would much rather see IB gear dropping after a game and have pieces available from a vendor vs this token collecting system. 

Even if it happens less frequently, and to maybe 1 or 2 players every 3rd game.

In general, I'd like to see actual vendors in the tower who allow you to buy the gear you want vs working your ass off then leaving your rewards to RNG. 

• Art of War and michael6745 like this

Art of War

Art of War

• 715 posts

I agree with much of what you said. The grind to get 10 package rewards just being an emblem stinks. I got several weapons along the way (probably none I'll ever use and can't even use them for infusion fuel since there Power levels are so low) and ONLY 2 pieces of Iron Banner armor (chest and legs). Bungie needs to step up and fix much of D2.

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3999 posts

I think I gave up on IB, I got to "level" 3 , I have no desire to play if all I'm going to get is a weapon I'm not going to use , I don't feel like going thru all the aggravation for nothing !

• Art of War and sgtcoy like this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

I played Iron Banner all day Saturday and all day Sunday.  I ranked both my Hunter and Titan up to rank 20.  I'm actually enjoying this. Mostly because it's just Control.  I've solo queued all weekend and I've had great game and I've had crappy games.  In my last 25 matches I'm have a 44% winning percentage.

However the drops were bleh.

I went through 17 ranks on my Titan before my first piece of armor dropped.

I did get every IB weapon except the submachine gun.

As a solo queue, we came across teams of 4 which were horrible, and I came across solor queues that carried the other team.  It was a mixed bag, but I still had fun..

I also leaned something this weekend.  If you shave all your weapons with the same shader, it becomes difficult in the midst of battle to know what weapon you have equipped.   I came out of super thinking I was going to have my energy scout equipped and it was my SMG and single shot does not do well.

I have now shaded my Manannan-SR with Bumblee shader, so it looks like a banana gun.. So it's the Manannan Banana... Say that 10 times fast.

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3999 posts

I got to level 4 and after getting a duplicate weapon and  no armor , I said screw it and gave up , I finished the campaign on my Hunter instead !