Single use shaders suck!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Art of War

Art of War

Knights of the 7 Kingdoms

• 700 posts

From IGN:

Destiny 2 launched on consoles today, and many players already aren’t happy with the new way shaders work. The armor-recoloring items are now single-use consumables instead of permanent unlocks as they were in its predecessor.

This looks like just another microtransaction money grab by Bungie to make us have to buy shaders since each piece of armor needs its own shader and once a shader is removed its gone.

What does everyone think about this?

Noles

Noles

Community Manager

• 4247 posts

Posted an article about this subject today!

• Art of War likes this

BK54

BK54

Forum Lieutenant

• 171 posts

God, i hope they change it or bring back some shaders from the old game. I dont want to spend real money on the game. But I might

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4823 posts

I haven't gotten to the point where I can use shaders yet. But I don't like it.  

• R MK XXV likes this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3984 posts

I'm not buying shaders , no way , nope,  not happening  ! Especially since you know as well as I do ,If you buy those dam boxes , your gonna get crap , not anything you want ! 

• Art of War likes this

insanetrasher

insanetrasher

Forum Lieutenant

• 217 posts

Like I said on the article comments, it's probably just that it went into "we'll fix if we have time" category. It's just too annoying/dumb to be something they deliberately chose to do.

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4823 posts

Well, as they said, you know Destiny 2 is pretty damn good if all we are really complaining about is the shader policy.  LOL...

HockeyDad21

HockeyDad21

Forum Colonel

• 1862 posts

I have never used micro-transactions in Destiny for armor/shaders/emotes etc and I don't forsee myself doing it for D2. Honestly, shaders were nice, but didn't really enhance or change my experience with Destiny. Now I did have specific shaders for my characters, but if not available in D2, oh well. Not a big deal for me. It does stink that Bungie is looking to milk more money out of you for something like this though.

Jehuty

Jehuty

Weeb Brigade.

• 636 posts

I like the ability to individually place shaders, but I do agree that making them consumables is annoying.

insanetrasher

insanetrasher

Forum Lieutenant

• 217 posts

Also, if on a shader equipped gear you select "revert to default" the shader will be consumed... another overlooked feature probably.

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

Undead Hunter Master race

• 1476 posts

I haven't gotten to the point where I can use shaders yet. But I don't like it.  

I'm not buying shaders , no way , nope,  not happening  ! Especially since you know as well as I do ,If you buy those dam boxes , your gonna get crap , not anything you want ! 

Same.  This little change actually pisses me off.  I'd change shaders daily, sometimes hourly in the game depending on how I felt, what armor I was going to wear, what activity I was going to jump into.

I may only be 1 mission into the game so far, but I can definitely say I'm not going to fork out any $$ on shaders.  What the hell were they thinking??

wonega

wonega

Forum Lieutenant

• 239 posts

I been grinding a bit the last 24hr and im now level 20 and I've got tons of shaders , might not be that big of a problem with high drop rates.

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4823 posts

I been grinding a bit the last 24hr and im now level 20 and I've got tons of shaders , might not be that big of a problem with high drop rates.

It's the whole point of people like to change their colors and if you lose it when you use it, there will be less change like we've been used to. 

I normally do not complain about stuff in game, but I do think this is bad.  Shader-gate....

https://twitter.com/...863339103838208

From his Twitter:
Shaders are earned through gameplay: leveling, chests, engrams, vendors. We expect you’ll be flush w/ Shaders as you continue to play. (1/4)
When you reach level 20, Shaders will drop more often: vendor rewards, destination play and endgame activities. (2/4)
Shaders are now an ongoing reward for playing. Customization will inspire gameplay. Each planet has unique armor and Shader rewards. (3/4)
With D2, we want statements like "I want to run the Raid, Trials, or go back to Titan to get more of its Shader" to be possible. (4/4)

• Noles and Art of War like this

Mr. Badger

Mr. Badger

Badger Thor!

• 1621 posts

Ok. Go! Go! Devil's Advocate!

The whole shader thing is totally balls HOWEVER how many times have you removed paint from your car, repainted it, and then put the old paint back on at a later date?

You can't.

NOW thats not to say that you don't have an extra bucket.

I could argue about it all day.

Deltatoast89

Deltatoast89

Forum Lieutenant

• 172 posts

I'm not surprised nor am I happy about this whole thing. Like people have said already, this is an obvious cash grab by Bungie. I don't give a crap how easy these things are to get in game. This system, especially compared to D1, is a big step down and I hope enough people make enough of a stink so that Bungie changes it. The whole thing is meant to make people buy these Bright Engrams for Eververse no matter how Luke Smith or anyone else words it.

wonega

wonega

Forum Lieutenant

• 239 posts

I dont think this is a money grab, Destiny needs to give you reasons to play,instead of a mote of light everytime you level up you get a bright engram with 4 items in them, I think they are just changing the way you look at and use shaders.

I like the idea you get a blank sparrow or ship or weapon or gear and put a shader on them just aslong as you keep getting a ton of shaders.

Eververse is just there for those that dont want to earn rewards.

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4823 posts

Well, now that I'm at that point in the game where I can apply shaders...  Well, I don't like the new system.  I am good with being able to apply any shader to any part.  But I don't like the consumable part.  I now have to infuse higher light armor pieces instead of just applying them.  

I guess the point is that they want you to play, the more you play the more consumables you receive.  But I keep getting the crappy ones and the ones I like I have one or two of them.  

Maybe once I get the hang of the new system and have 1900 hours like in D1, then I might get used to it and have enough "inventory" I don't care about it.  But my inventory is minimal after finally being able to put in 3 days of nothing but game play.  I think I have a total of 80 shaders. From muted common ones to a really bold ones.

Spoiler

• R MK XXV likes this

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

Undead Hunter Master race

• 1476 posts

I just hit that same point last night.  Received a bunch of bland shaders from from Tess at Everpurse. 

I think I'm going to just dump them into my vault for now.

I don't care for the consumable aspect of it either.  At least on the armor.  I flip armor constantly since I'm still leveling up, so for me to use one would just be a waste.  

I wouldn't mind shaders it being a consumable on Weapons.  Once I settle in on one I don't think I'll change it too often.  

And if I do, meh, shader is gone. 

Staph lnfection

Staph lnfection

Forum Lieutenant

• 268 posts

There will be a lot of ugly non shaded guardians

• R MK XXV likes this

Art of War

Art of War

Knights of the 7 Kingdoms

• 700 posts

There will be a lot of ugly non shaded guardians

I'm only a 253 so I am just stockpiling shaders until I get the gear I want to keep. Only shaders I've used so far have been on a ship and a scout rifle.

• R MK XXV and michael6745 like this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4823 posts

I'm only a 253 so I am just stockpiling shaders until I get the gear I want to keep. Only shaders I've used so far have been on a ship and a scout rifle.

I was the same way. Then I got a full set of Errant Knight 1.0 armor and I shaded that.  Then the update screws up the pants and I look all funny now.  

The issue I have is, if you get raid specific shaders, you have to keep farming the raid to get the shaders.  There are some other shaders that I like that I have no clue how I got them.  

I have been using the Crucible one on my guns.  It makes the MINI MIDA look amazing.

Staph lnfection

Staph lnfection

Forum Lieutenant

• 268 posts

I have noticed there are rare and legendary shaders, I havnt found a rare one I want to keep, ill think ill use them first

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4823 posts

I have noticed there are rare and legendary shaders, I havnt found a rare one I want to keep, ill think ill use them first

The rare ones are so, blah.  muted colors with no pop.  

Staph lnfection

Staph lnfection

Forum Lieutenant

• 268 posts

yea they are so 2014 lol