Photo

Thoughts on D2 Exotics (so far)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Deltatoast89

Deltatoast89

Forum Lieutenant

• 158 posts

I've been looking through the Exotic spoilers for the game. The weapons seem cool for the most part but some of the armor pieces look like garbage in regards to the perks. What does everybody think about some of these because with some of them, I'm not impressed.

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Annoying Tick

• 245 posts

I've been looking through the Exotic spoilers for the game. The weapons seem cool for the most part but some of the armor pieces look like garbage in regards to the perks. What does everybody think about some of these because with some of them, I'm not impressed.

Honestly, I have to disagree with you there.

The majority of the Exotic weapons are just underwhelming to say the least, whereas all of the armour pieces are very interesting to read through.

The only two weapons I'm really interested in at the moment are Graviton Lance and Rat King, and even those don't sound particularly amazing. It mostly just feels like Bungie was trying to play it safe with these Exotic weapons, rather than the outrageously cool ideas they had for them back in D1.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm really interested in trying out all of the new Exotic armour pieces. They all change the playstyle of the classes and subclasses in very different ways, and some of the revised exotics are also exciting to look at (the new Skull of Dire Ahamkara is basically a better Obsidian Mind for example).

I'm really hoping that there's more Exotic weapons than what we got to see as well. One Sidearm? No Sword, or Rocket Launcher?

Deltatoast89

Deltatoast89

Forum Lieutenant

• 158 posts

I do agree that there should be more exotics than what we have seen but with the Exotic weapons, I can name quite a few that catch my eye (Skyburners Oath, Coldheart, maybe Borealis, Graviton and the Tractor Cannon in particular.). Some of the armor seems cool but others...for example, the Peacekeepers, the Mechaneers Tricksleeves and the Lucky Pants in particular seem like they should be legendaries with those perks. Like you said, it seems like they played it too safe with some of these Exotics but to me, the weapons stand out more than most of the armor pieces do.

Mat

Mat

Forum Colonel

• 1694 posts

well by not overdoing it and making them all too powerful, it gives them more headroom to introduce amazing exotics down the road everyone will shit themselves over

the bar was a little too high in D1, we started off with ghorns and icebreakers and they could only really go down from there without breaking the game

• Lil'Ubo likes this

Mr. Badger

Mr. Badger

Badger Thor!

• 1621 posts

The exotic Trace Rifle is easily the best exotic I've gotten so far. As long as you keep control of that recoil you can maintain crits for the duration of the fire on the larger bosses.

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3914 posts

I got the exotic pulse rifle yesterday , don't know the name it' still new the one that looks like it came from Trials , but so far I'm not too impressed with it , I do like the Graviton Lance however that is a nice gun ! 

Lil'Ubo

Lil'Ubo

Forum Admiral

• 6623 posts

I got 4 pieces of Warlock exotic armour. Sunbreakers, Sunbreakers, Transversive steps and Starifre protocol.... what game am i playing again?!?!

DefiantMars

DefiantMars

Forum Lieutenant

• 188 posts

I got the exotic pulse rifle yesterday , don't know the name it' still new the one that looks like it came from Trials , but so far I'm not too impressed with it , I do like the Graviton Lance however that is a nice gun ! 

Vigilance Wing I believe is the name. The perks seem really bad. Much like The Stag. An exotic that requires your teammates to die is not something that I would put forward in Destiny. You shouldn't encourage dying in this game.

I got 4 pieces of Warlock exotic armour. Sunbreakers, Sunbreakers, Transversive steps and Starifre protocol.... what game am i playing again?!?!

They're called SunBRACERS now, Ubo. But they'll always be Sunbreakers to me.... that's basically what the lore text for the gloves say too. I wouldn't mind Trasversive Steps and apparently someone found a build with Starfire Protocol that makes Dawnblade NOT SHIT.

• Lil'Ubo likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4663 posts

I've not been too keen on the exotics so far.  I have quite a few. Once I found out that MIDA Multi Tool was in play in D2, that was the first Exotic I went to get, but not the first one I had.  

Maybe I'm just still trying to figure out my best loadout so I haven't really tried a lot.

Spoiler

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3914 posts

Well , I got another Starfire Protocol last night and I got The Coldheart and the Fighting Lion grenade launcher , so far all the grenade launcher I've used have been pretty much worthless , i might as well be using Tic Tacs as ammo , I'm not too impressed with Coldheart either ! 

• DefiantMars and michael6745 like this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4663 posts

Well , I got another Starfire Protocol last night and I got The Coldheart and the Fighting Lion grenade launcher , so far all the grenade launcher I've used have been pretty much worthless , i might as well be using Tic Tacs as ammo , I'm not too impressed with Coldheart either ! 

Yeah. I used coldheart in PvE and then 10 minutes later it sat in my vault. Same with that grenade launcher.  

The only Exotic weapon I have on my peson is the MIDA.  

However, I did get the Graviton Lance pulse rifle and I did like it in PvE.  

I have the Dubious Volley, I mean, The Wardiff Coil in my vault as well.  

I sharded the one hand cannon I got from a quest, I thought was horrible.  I needed the legendary marks.

I have four pieces of exotic armor as well.  Not using any of them.

DefiantMars

DefiantMars

Forum Lieutenant

• 188 posts

Yeah. I used coldheart in PvE and then 10 minutes later it sat in my vault. Same with that grenade launcher.  

The only Exotic weapon I have on my peson is the MIDA.  

However, I did get the Graviton Lance pulse rifle and I did like it in PvE.  

I have the Dubious Volley, I mean, The Wardiff Coil in my vault as well.  

I sharded the one hand cannon I got from a quest, I thought was horrible.  I needed the legendary marks.

I have four pieces of exotic armor as well.  Not using any of them.

I grabbed the Sunbracers (the renamed Sunbreaker gauntlets) mostly for nostalgia's sake from Sloane. Chose Sunshot to test Winged Sun shenanigans (hasn't worked out as well as I'd hoped).

I unlocked the MIDA Multitool, which is great as always.

If you're talking about the Sturm Hand Cannon, I actually kind of like it. Its a little underwhelming when in terms of reload speed. But the free reload on your Energy Weapon is nice.

My exotic engram from beating the story turned into the Karstein Armlets, which are... okay.

I got one to drop from the Crucible and that decrypted into the Tractor Cannon. And exotic shotgun that repulses enemies. I don't know how good it is, but it works on Hobgoblins in stasis. I can't wait to use it on Phalanx.

RagingSociopath

RagingSociopath

Forum Lieutenant

• 224 posts

Idunno guys, Sunshot has it's uses for me. I roll with it for Strikes and clustered mobs tend to be laid to waste with it. A fairly decent reload speed, decent fire rate, and each impact explodes in solar damage. If I COULD, I'd get one in void and arc because it's damage output against shielded enemies is worth it, especially when they have groups of enemies around them. Then I have some armor that boosts my Solar output... But I went for the Foetracer helmet for my hunter, so I can track enemies.

DefiantMars

DefiantMars

Forum Lieutenant

• 188 posts

Idunno guys, Sunshot has it's uses for me. I roll with it for Strikes and clustered mobs tend to be laid to waste with it. A fairly decent reload speed, decent fire rate, and each impact explodes in solar damage. If I COULD, I'd get one in void and arc because it's damage output against shielded enemies is worth it, especially when they have groups of enemies around them. Then I have some armor that boosts my Solar output... But I went for the Foetracer helmet for my hunter, so I can track enemies.

Sunshot is a great gun. I had a really hard time choosing between it, Riskrunner and Graviton Lance though. Its just that the aerial inaccuracy is so hard to manage sometimes, even with a hand cannon of this caliber...

Hmmm. What do you call the bullets from energy weapons?

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4663 posts

Space Magic!

• Mtannert23 likes this

RagingSociopath

RagingSociopath

Forum Lieutenant

• 224 posts

Sunshot is a great gun. I had a really hard time choosing between it, Riskrunner and Graviton Lance though. Its just that the aerial inaccuracy is so hard to manage sometimes, even with a hand cannon of this caliber...

I use a Solar Hunter right now. Aerials are not really in my wheelhouse for combat. In fact I stay fairly grounded. I'm working on my Warlock so I can do the MIDA quests.

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3914 posts

Mida has a quest ?? Go figure probably a bunch of pain in the ass hoops you gotta jump thru to get it , just watch Kakis do the quest , pita but not too bad ! 

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4663 posts

Mida has a quest ?? Go figure probably a bunch of pain in the ass hoops you gotta jump thru to get it , just watch Kakis do the quest , pita but not too bad ! 

It's actually a pretty good one. I did it right when I finished the story.  I was 216 and it recommended 260.  It took my several runs at it.  

Spoiler

RagingSociopath

RagingSociopath

Forum Lieutenant

• 224 posts

Dude, it's easy. Take a Scout Rifle, score 50 Critical Hit Kills, 25 Multi Kills (2x Enemies) Without Reloading (Just kill two, reload, two reload), Break down 5 Blue or Legendary Scout Rifles, the hardest one is getting 25-50 kills with an SMG While Airborne. But you earn MIDA which... Let's face it, has always been worth it.

• DefiantMars likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4663 posts

The hardest part for me was the "Enhance"story mission.  I was 50 levels below recommended light. I was getting one shot b!tch slapped with the wire rifles.  It took me a few tries to get a strategy down.  

I had saved up all my blue scout rifles in preparation for this.

I used the MINI MIDA for the 50 airborne kills.  That was actually pretty easy. I hung around the EDZ with the low light level guys and double hunter jumped and took them out.

• DefiantMars likes this

DefiantMars

DefiantMars

Forum Lieutenant

• 188 posts

The hardest part for me was the "Enhance"story mission.  I was 50 levels below recommended light. I was getting one shot b!tch slapped with the wire rifles.  It took me a few tries to get a strategy down.  

I had saved up all my blue scout rifles in preparation for this.

I used the MINI MIDA for the 50 airborne kills.  That was actually pretty easy. I hung around the EDZ with the low light level guys and double hunter jumped and took them out.

I was 30-40 Power below recommended and it was still quite hard for me. The Wire Rifles and Captains/Archons were particularly difficult, but I managed to power through it... And by power I mean hide in a corner and pick away at everything. Had to break down a good Legendary Scout that I had been using, but overall it was a pleasant experience.

RagingSociopath

RagingSociopath

Forum Lieutenant

• 224 posts

I was 30-40 Power below recommended and it was still quite hard for me. The Wire Rifles and Captains/Archons were particularly difficult, but I managed to power through it... And by power I mean hide in a corner and pick away at everything. Had to break down a good Legendary Scout that I had been using, but overall it was a pleasant experience.

I just did it last night, and seriously, only took me about an hour from the start of the ENHANCE quest to MIDA in hand. 5 Blue Scout Rifles were easy to come by... But I'm not sure if I like the MIDA over the EDZ Legendary Scout Rifle. Then again, I am liking the EDZ Weapons... Except the Hand Cannon, god the reload on that is atrocious, in no way shape or fashion does the damage make up for the reload speed.

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3914 posts

The hardest part for me will be the airborne kills , I have a hard enough time getting kills much less airborne , somebody must have either bumped their head or smoked too much the day they thought of that ! 

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4663 posts

The hardest part for me will be the airborne kills , I have a hard enough time getting kills much less airborne , somebody must have either bumped their head or smoked too much the day they thought of that ! 

It's actually pretty easy.  Just stay outside around the church in the EDZ.  Equip the MINI MIDA, shoot a dreg with your kinetic to drop him down and then switch, jump and shoot the mini.  1 kill.

Rinse.... repeat....

The fallen in the beginning part of the EDZ are low enough power level that you can actually kill them with the MINI in one jump, it may take two jumps.  

Just stay outside so you can have height.  If you go inside, it's not so easy.

RagingSociopath

RagingSociopath

Forum Lieutenant

• 224 posts

I did it as a Hunter, no glide, no special skills, just Jump, Spray and Pray. Didn't kill him? Do it again.

• Art of War likes this