Photo

Named Weapon Archetypes and A New Foundry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

DefiantMars

DefiantMars

Forum Lieutenant

• 172 posts

Essentially a cross post from Reddit, but I really want to discuss this detail. Seriously, NAMED WEAPON ARCHETYPES! 

Based on the reveal footage, it seems that the new weapon cards feature upfront labels for our weapon archetypes. No need to guess what archetype our weapons are, nor what they specialize in. It also means we don’t need to use the cumbersome descriptions of mid-high, mid-low, higher-mid, lower-mid titles if we don’t want to. Which is especially nice for some of the more varied weapon supertypes like Snipers or Fusion Rifles (both of which have something like 8 different impact/rate of fire spreads). While the Destiny game guide and the IGN website had these labels listed, it has not been updated with new expansions.

I scrubbed the various gameplay footage and websites trying to find the available descriptions for the archetypes. I’ve omitted the new exotic weapons as they do not have the archetype tags on their cards, in lieu of their exotic perks.

[Kinetic and Energy Weapon Archetypes]

Auto Rifles
  • Adaptive: Well-rounded, reliable and sturdy. (Scathelocke)
Pulse Rifles
  • Lightweight: Move faster with this weapon. (Nightshade)
Scout Rifles
SMGs
Hand Cannons
  • Adaptive: Well-rounded, reliable and sturdy. (SUROS GJS-42)

destiny_2_weapon_kinectic_1.jpg

Above: Better Devils

Sidearms
  • Lightweight: Move faster with this weapon. (Urchin-3SI)

[Power Weapon Archetypes]

Shotguns
Fusion Rifles
Sniper Rifles
  • Rapid-Fire: Deep ammo reserves. Fast reload when empty. (Copperhead-4SN)
Rocket Launchers
  • Hakke Precision: Fires small auto-tracking missiles.

destiny_2_weapon_power_2.jpg

Above: Morrigan-D

Grenade Launchers
  • Aggressive: High damage, high recoil.

destiny_2_weapon_power_3.jpg

Above: Naddodd-D

So far it seems Bungie has elected to only reveal one archetype per category. In addition, Kinetic and Energy weapons share the same archetypes despite belonging to different slots. As such I’ve grouped them together.

[New Foundry: Veist]

DAIJB3xW0AA4Rc8.jpg

In addition to Also, it looks like the new Foundry Veist has a pretty identifiable naming convention. Their coding seems be be “Animal-#__”. The animals appear to be named after venomous creatures. SI stands for sidearm, MG stands for (sub)machine gun, and SN stands for sniper rifle.

The Veist color palette consists of dark grays, light gray, and green accents with practical bodies with spiked/flared ornamentation.

The name seems to be based in some form of Germanic phonetics.

destiny_2_weapon_energy_1.jpg

Veist SMG: Red Mamba-3MG

destiny_2_weapon_energy_3.jpg

Veist Sidearm: Urchin-3SI

destiny_2_weapon_power_1.jpg

Veist Sniper Rifle: Copperhead-4SN

[Bonus Exotics]

destiny_2_weapon_kinectic_3.jpg

This bad boy is the "Sweet Business", an Exotic Kinetic Auto Rifle. It appears to be SUROS made but it isn't labeled anywhere, so I cannot confirm this suspicion. The exotic perk is Payday - "Large mag. Increased hip fire accuracy. Holding down the trigger boosts this weapon's range and rate of fire, and automatically loads ammo pickups into the magazine." In other words, it has a variant of "Spinning Up".

destiny_2_weapon_energy_2.jpg

An Exotic Energy Hand Cannon, this is the "Sunshot". I've seen some people regard it as a "Fatebringer" replacement. The perks on it's weapon card reads, Sunburn - "Explosive Rounds. Highlights targets." and "Targets killed with Sunshot explode in Solar Energy. I haven't been able to determine its archetype again, as Exotics aren't labeled the same way.

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4548 posts

This is awesome.  Just another way that Bungie is making the game more "accessible" for the casual player.  When i first started, I had no clue what I was doing.  I didn't know I could look stuff up on Bungie.net to get the values, but I'd just look at this slider and go, what does that actually mean?

It wasn't until I got on here and started asking questions that I most of the more esoteric stuff in game started making sense.

• DefiantMars and Kingdomville like this

DefiantMars

DefiantMars

Forum Lieutenant

• 172 posts

This is awesome.  Just another way that Bungie is making the game more "accessible" for the casual player.  When i first started, I had no clue what I was doing.  I didn't know I could look stuff up on Bungie.net to get the values, but I'd just look at this slider and go, what does that actually mean?

It wasn't until I got on here and started asking questions that I most of the more esoteric stuff in game started making sense.

THIS is the kind of "simplification" and "streamlining" that is good for the game, not the literal cluster that is the new subclass perk system. 

UPFRONT INFORMATION. The fact that these cards tell you how the weapon is going to behave is fantastic. You still have the bars for reference, but you only need to read the one to know generally how the gun will behave.

Now we just need to see how the rest of the perk system behave, and then we'll be in business.

DefiantMars

DefiantMars

Forum Lieutenant

• 172 posts

Just a small update regarding another Veist weapon, this time for the Power Weapon slot

Tarantula-3FR - Linear Fusion Rifle of the Precision Archetype.

I'm not entirely sure what the deal with the "Linear Fusion Rifle" means compared to how we know FRs now.