Photo

Destiny 2 - Discussion

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Riewoldt

Riewoldt

Forum Captain

• 731 posts

It hasn't got a mention in this thread but Destiny 2 being playable on PC will open up the game for a lot more people as well. If Destiny 2 improves on the problems from the original there is potential for a much wider audience to take a interest in this game and the hype around Destiny be bigger than it was previously.

Not sure how my computer would handle Destiny 2. Its graphics would probably be too much for my GTX 1050 graphics card to handle. Maybe they will open up the beta to everyone and I will test out how it goes in the beta. Will be playing Destiny 2 on PS4 though as I did on Destiny 1. 

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

Undead Hunter Master race

• 1360 posts

There are two reasons as to why the grimoire cards were one of the best things Destiny has ever had:

#1 They made it possible for hardcore players that were interested in the story to go deeper into it. While we certainly needed more in game story, the grimoire cards allowed us to understand this universe better than we ever would simply with in game details. The cards were easy to access, and they allowed for a lot of room for interpretation in this universe.

#2 The lore content creators. The grimoire cards have spawned dozens of Destiny lore Youtubers that present some really interesting interpretations of the cards, and they use particular means to do this. These creators, including Sir Wallen, Myelin Games and My Name is Byf, will now struggle with the removal of the cards.

As much as the lore needed to be in the game, the grimoire cards were also important for the people who wanted to read deeper into everything. Going in game to do all this is going to be such a hassle now. Seriously, how much would it have taken for somebody to write all the lore down? Bungie has taken a step back by taking their biggest criticism, a lack of story, fixing that, and then creating a new problem. I desperately hope that this changes in the future.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do love being able to dig into Destiny's lore to learn more about the universe where it takes place. 

I just don't like the method Bungie chose to deliver that information to the players. 

When I was big into Halo I loved picking up a book here and there to read more on the Halo universe.  It just made that universe seem so much bigger and fuller.  Entire stories were just at your fingertips if you had any interest in them. 

The way that the Grimoire was set up made it much more difficult to get a full story, at least while I was interested in a particular topic that is.  You would have to search out ghosts, fragments or clusters and hope that they pertain to the story you were interested in reading.  Otherwise it was back on the hunt for more ghosts, fragments or clusters.

When Destiny first launched I was very interested in reading about the back story, and I did search for for ghosts to help build up the world I was playing in.  But the whole process of collecting only pieces of the stories just became more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with.  I'd find a new ghost and think, oh, I'll read this once I get done playing ... but never would.  So I just gave up looking for any of it.  Unless it was tied to a quest.  But even then I never revisited the cards again.  It just felt too disconnected from the game. 

So, yes ... I'm for getting information on Destiny's lore.  But it has to be done better than Destiny 1's grimoire cards.  Preferably in game.

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3715 posts

And some of the ghosts are a real pain in the ass to get ,I still don't have one from the summoning pits ( the one on the cliff) and two of the ones from no time to explain/paradox ,and the PS Crucible maps ,I do have the Echo station one though !😁

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

• 142 posts

None of that's even relevant in the end though. The grimoire doesn't have to be a challenge to be able to access: Bungie could remove the whole score and dead ghost/scannable attainable cards and just give us a website to access lore through, similar to how the destiny tracker database has all the cards compiled into one place (Not to steer anyone away from PlanetDestiny though, because this is the greatest website of them all. As a matter of fact, PD might have a grimoire compilation as well, I don't know. :whistling: ).

Basically, the grimoire as it is now doesn't necessarily have to be what Bungie would include in Destiny 2: it could just be a collection of deeper information, just a way to read up on the deepest of Destiny lore.

Grimoire score is stupid, but the lore is important.

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4427 posts

And some of the ghosts are a real pain in the ass to get ,I still don't have one from the summoning pits ( the one on the cliff) and two of the ones from no time to explain/paradox ,and the PS Crucible maps ,I do have the Echo station one though !

Yeah, you need to go in with someone you know, who will res you when you die.  I did in the middle of the strike and Adkyth kept ressing me while our blue berry fought everything.  LOL...

You can glitch into the pits, but it's tough.

If you watch this video, he says there is a command in game to see "more lore". so it will be interesting to see if they put the cards in game as text.  ??  We'll have to see.

https://youtu.be/jVW5a8RDUWU?t=305

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3715 posts

I watched the glitch video a couple times and , I'm not sure if I can do it , I should get my GF to help and just do the old summoning pits strike and try to get it ! 

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4427 posts

I watched the glitch video a couple times and , I'm not sure if I can do it , I should get my GF to help and just do the old summoning pits strike and try to get it ! 

That would be the best.  I tried the glitch video as well and I think I made it 2/3 of the way and couldn't go any further.  Then i just said screw it and did the strike.

What's funny is when I tried it the first time, it was with two blueberries.  Once they saw what I was doing, they also tried it.  None were successful.

Also, there are two ghosts in the Summoning Pits.  

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

Undead Hunter Master race

• 1360 posts

I retrieved the 3 ghosts from Cayde's Stash last night.  It was the daily (weekly?  idk) mission.

The one on top of the spire by the bridge was a bit of a pain to get.  The other two were fairly easy to grab. 

None of that's even relevant in the end though. The grimoire doesn't have to be a challenge to be able to access: Bungie could remove the whole score and dead ghost/scannable attainable cards and just give us a website to access lore through, similar to how the destiny tracker database has all the cards compiled into one place (Not to steer anyone away from PlanetDestiny though, because this is the greatest website of them all. As a matter of fact, PD might have a grimoire compilation as well, I don't know. :whistling: ).

Basically, the grimoire as it is now doesn't necessarily have to be what Bungie would include in Destiny 2: it could just be a collection of deeper information, just a way to read up on the deepest of Destiny lore.

Grimoire score is stupid, but the lore is important.

I think we are kinda on the same page. 

Destiny lore is important to create a fuller more developed world that we play in ... for those who are interested in doing so.

But, the way Bungie implemented it for the game was a little goofy.

Luckily, other players have crated web sites to house all the in game information making it easier to read through -vs- having to take on the task of of collecting it on your own. 

And in the next game the lore should be included (which I agree with) but hopefully in a way that makes it easier to access while in game. 

Am I close? 

• Kingdomville likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4427 posts

Interesting discussion on D2 from PD

I retrieved the 3 ghosts from Cayde's Stash last night.  It was the daily (weekly?  idk) mission.

The one on top of the spire by the bridge was a bit of a pain to get.  The other two were fairly easy to grab. 

I think we are kinda on the same page. 

Destiny lore is important to create a fuller more developed world that we play in ... for those who are interested in doing so.

But, the way Bungie implemented it for the game was a little goofy.

Luckily, other players have crated web sites to house all the in game information making it easier to read through -vs- having to take on the task of of collecting it on your own. 

And in the next game the lore should be included (which I agree with) but hopefully in a way that makes it easier to access while in game. 

Am I close? 

I don't like the way the Grimoire cards were out of game.  I rarely went to them.  But I have enjoyed how people take them and expand the and discuss the lore.  From what Mesa Sean has said, that there is a selection in game to read more on Lore holds true and if it has information like on the cards, then that would be a great way to keep lore in game and allow others to access it and expand on it like they do now.

• R MK XXV and Kingdomville like this

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

• 142 posts

Am I close? 

More or less  :laugh:

• R MK XXV likes this

Chubby Warlock

Chubby Warlock

New Blood

• 3 posts

Now rdr2 has been delayed i'll be getting this day 1. I hope there's no more going into orbit that really really gets tiresome. I've seen a few folk say it reminds them of halo 3, well I don't see it but if it is then everyone rejoice it'll be a hell of a game.

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

• 142 posts

I think there's only going to be orbit for particular activities, otherwise you can go anywhere without returning to orbit. Praise the Light!