Getting back into it

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

scullkr

scullkr

Recruit

• 12 posts

Hi guys,

Recently downloaded TTK and ROI after a long hiatus- last I played Destiny was Prison of Elders and I finished up at level 34. Didn't think I'd get back into Destiny but ultimately I haven't been able to find any games as absorbing since.

A few quick questions if you guys don't mind- It was quite a surprise to find that new Rare weapons were more powerful than my old Exotics!

Can I upgrade my old exotics to new defence and damage levels?

Are my old legendary weapons and armour worthless and all for the scrap for materials? Any reasons to keep my old fatebringer?!

Is there any reason to save motes of light or can I use them all for faction rep?

In the meantime I have a lot of catching up on Planet Destiny to do.....

• Kingdomville likes this

Noles

Noles

Community Manager

• 4247 posts

Gear from Y1 ultimately can not be Infused to the highest Light level. So Fatebringer won't ever be 400 Light. 

Motes of Light can be used to upgrade your stuff. 

Old Exotics can be replaced with their Y2 version in the Exotic kiosk in the Tower. 

... And  :Welcome:

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4002 posts

Welcome Guardian !

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Annoying Tick

• 315 posts

Ah, I always love seeing someone pick up the controller and put the disc in again! Welcome back!

Can I upgrade my old exotics to new defence and damage levels?
No, you cannot upgrade them. You can however get Year 2/3 models of most of those same weapons, so all is not lost!

Are my old legendary weapons and armour worthless and all for the scrap for materials? Any reasons to keep my old fatebringer?!

Other than for nostalgia, no, there's no reason to hold onto any of those...

UNLESS YOU STILL HAVE YOUR KHVOSTOV 7G-O2. HOLD ONTO THAT. It will be important for the Khvostov 7G-OX quest.

Is there any reason to save motes of light or can I use them all for faction rep?
Yes, do not just spend them all on faction rep (#NEWMONARCHYMASTERRACE). While it is good to spend some on gaining rep, you will need your motes for infusion.

And again, welcome back!

scullkr

scullkr

Recruit

• 12 posts

Thanks for the replies guys. Looking forward to getting back to the grind... a new and improved grind.

I will have to shed a tear for my old gjally and icebreaker though!

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Annoying Tick

• 315 posts

Yes, I can sympathise. Saying goodbye to my OG Plug One.1 was difficult for me to do as well.

Well, at least you can get Year 3 models for both of them! Did you preorder ROI? You'll get the Iron Gjallarhorn with it if you did.

michael6745

michael6745

Forum General

• 4846 posts

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the game!!!!

scullkr

scullkr

Recruit

• 12 posts

Unfortunately not, I just downloaded both yesterday.

Getting used to the new light levels. Saw somewhere else here I'm best off doing the ROI story first to get higher level gear rather than TTK. Already picked up one legendary helmet and have 200 or so strange coins from Year 1 for Xur so I'll get there- 0 legendary marks though.

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Annoying Tick

• 315 posts

If you want to jump immediately into the highest story level, then yeah, play the ROI ones first.

Personally though, I would've preferred to play through TTK first, just to build up my Guardian's legacy. The reason Saladin chooses us in ROI is because of all our accomplishments, including -

Aaaaand I'll stop there. Spoilers! 

teppic

teppic

Forum Captain

• 499 posts

:Welcome:

Fatebringer is a holly relic, you don't want to dismantle it, DON'T YOU !?

That said, welcome back, and enjoy all the new weapons and stuff, they are great!

Lil'Ubo

Lil'Ubo

Forum Admiral

• 6635 posts

Welcome back Guardian!

scullkr

scullkr

Recruit

• 12 posts

So I'm back up to 350 light and looks like The Archon's forge and the Strike Playlist are the way to go from here. Maybe PoE too.

I do remember back in the day going back to the treasure chests at Crota and VoG though, hoping for exotics. Can these chests give year 3 exotics or are they old news?
Thanks for the replies by the way. Fatebringer still lives.....

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Annoying Tick

• 315 posts

POE lost its value all over again with the release of ROI, unless you're still trying to get Lord of Wolves, Dreg's Promise or Queenbreaker's Bow (I STILL HAVEN'T GOT MY BOW. I PLAYED LIKE TWENTY TIMES AND I GET LORD OF WOLVES EVERY TIME.).
Nope, those chests are all set to reward you with old loot. 

scullkr

scullkr

Recruit

• 12 posts

Think I meant Challenge of Elders then. Essentially engram and exotic farming. Lots of new terms. I'm trying to max out light so I can get raiding again, then go back and do what I've missed.

Also, not much fun getting exotics these days and having more powerful blue weapons!

Kingdomville

Kingdomville

Annoying Tick

• 315 posts

Agreed. But alas, leaving behind gear is a common part of MMO progression, and Destiny is a pseudo-MMO, so it had to carry over some similarities. 
#YEAR3POCKETINFINITYMOVEMENT