Photo

Rise of Iron - Scout Rifles

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5157 posts

As we all know, with RoI, came a slue of new weapons.  As I am a Scout Rifle collector, I am excited about the possibilities of the new Legendary Scouts that are available to us in RoI.

Due to limited space in my vault, I had to dismantle many of the older Scouts that I had been collecting as I never used them.  I was saddened by this process.  But I got new toys. 

So far, I have not had to purchase any of the new Scouts.  I have received them all through rewards or Faction packages.

The first SRs I got were the FWC The Wounded.  I have two of these. One with Firefly, Quickdraw and Perfect Balance.  The second has Zen Moment, Full Auto and Hammer Forged.  This SR is in the same archetype as the Hung Jury.  I really have no complaints about this rifle except that firing it makes me feel like I'm shooting a squirt gun.  It's a decent rifle, but I put it away in lieu of my Hung Jury.  I still feel the HJ is stronger for some reason.

The next is Cryptic Dragon.  This can be obtained through Crucible rewards.  This is also in the same archetype as the HJ.  I had three of these.  I dismantled two and kept the one with Triple Tap, Third Eye and Injection mold.  I'm very happy with this, but I don't have it fully upgraded yet and keep switching to HJ when I'm doing PvE, Archon's Forge.  The zoom on the scope I'm using is a little to much for the close in attacks.  I need to play around with the scopes more to settle in on what seems best for my playstyle.

Earlier this week, I got the Angel's Advocate from a Vanguard package.  This is in the archetype as the MIDA.  My perks are Return to sender, Eye of the Storm and Hammer forged.  I love this gun as I am used to the MIDA, but it only has a magazine of 14.  Quite a dramatic drop from the 21 I'm used to with MIDA.  

Last night I ranked up my Dead Orbit and received the Keystone 01.  The notable perks are Firefly and Third eye.  it has a magazine size of 16.  This is in the same archetype as the Saterine Rapier/Colovances Duty.  I played with this for a while and I am impressed with it.  It's not ranked up yet, but it hits like a tank in PvE.  I hope to play with it more this weekend.

I'm not sure if there any other new Legendary SR. but so far, I'm liking what has been offered in RoI.  Many different options to choose from.  As I get used to them, I'm sure I'll make a final decision whether to stay from my MIDA / HJ or not.

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

Undead Hunter Master race

• 1534 posts

As we all know, with RoI, came a slue of new weapons.  As I am a Scout Rifle collector, I am excited about the possibilities of the new Legendary Scouts that are available to us in RoI.

Due to limited space in my vault, I had to dismantle many of the older Scouts that I had been collecting as I never used them.  I was saddened by this process.  But I got new toys.

I've unfortunately had to do this myself with a lot of the stored vanilla weapons I was holding on to.  Outside of raid weapons I'm down to 5 originals.  One being the first Scout I ever picked up.  The Vanguard A.1F19X-Ryl.  With a great tag line of "Trepanning is the art of cutting the skull open to let the gods in." Its going to be very hard to let this one go. 

Earlier this week, I got the Angel's Advocate from a Vanguard package.  This is in the archetype as the MIDA.  My perks are Return to sender, Eye of the Storm and Hammer forged.  I love this gun as I am used to the MIDA, but it only has a magazine of 14.  Quite a dramatic drop from the 21 I'm used to with MIDA.  

I got one of these earlier in the week too. 

Mine has:

Red-Dor ORA2 - Focus Lens FLA5 - OEG

Zen Moment - Mulligan

Hammer Forger - Braced Frame

Return to sender. 

I didn't touch it until last night because I kept playing with the New Monarchy weapons I kept getting. (WHY DON"T THEY HAVE A SCOUT RIFLE!)

So far I like it.  Its very responsive and sights in pretty quickly.  Reload is very quick even with out Scout reloading gauntlets on. 

My only complaint is it really is a soft scout rifle.  I'm pretty use to harder hitting scouts, so to have to tap something a couple times in order to stagger it feels a little counter productive and some times a little harrowing when something is charging in on you.  

But aside from that I did enjoy using it last night.  I will probably hold on to and use this one for a while ... unless a similar one with better perks happens to drop. 

nightlyraver

nightlyraver

Forum Lieutenant

• 164 posts

I absolutely LOVE the Keystone 01.  It's my new favorite weapon.  It very much reminds me of Fang of Ir Yut, which was my go to weapon for a long time.  The range is maxed out and it's high impact.  In PvE, you can almost use it like a sniper and 1-shot tier 1 enemies with a crit shot.  

What I really like about it is the recoil.  It flies up, but since it's a low rate of fire weapon it pops back to almost exactly the original position in the time it takes for the next round to be in the chamber.

Pbhou

Pbhou

Forum Lieutenant

• 300 posts

I so far got the vendor roll for Keystone.  It's ok... I don't love it, but it's been my highest LL primary so far.

I want one w/ full auto

I also want a full auto FWC scout, and the raid one.

I fail so far to see how these new models are an improvement over anything in my Y2 collection though...

WardenMagen

WardenMagen

Forum Lieutenant

• 230 posts

3 x Keystone 01, one being full auto which I've not played with yet. Weapon is fantastic and use this or my Hand of Judgment for all PvE as favourite archetype

The Hero Formula is making my hand ache. RoF is stupidly quick

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5157 posts

I had two Keystone 01 drop from packages Thursday/Friday and they basically had the same rolls.  One had Third Eye and one had outlaw.  I like the scope on the one with Outlaw a little better, but the Third Eye has clinched this as my favorite weapon.  I use it for PvE and used it in Trials with success.  I hate to say this, but I may have just retired my HJ.  I'm having a mounting plaque made for it for over my fireplace.

redafro1980

redafro1980

Forum Lieutenant

• 225 posts

I got the Hero Formula, think it was standard vendor roll. Explosive rounds in PVE and braced frame in PVP. Very fast firing, very accurate. Love it

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

• 1534 posts

I really like the OEG sight.  I unlocked on my Angle last night and really liked using it. 

I don't think I've ever used this sight before last night. Its pretty cool. 

Zydron

Zydron

Forum Lieutenant

• 293 posts

I so far got the vendor roll for Keystone.  It's ok... I don't love it, but it's been my highest LL primary so far.

I want one w/ full auto

I also want a full auto FWC scout, and the raid one.

I fail so far to see how these new models are an improvement over anything in my Y2 collection though...

I have one with full auto, no point to having it on the archetype so I use extended mag instead. 

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

• 1534 posts

I'm going to do an about face on the Angels Advocate ... Now that I have it upgraded I'm pretty disappointed in it.

It has about as much punch as a marshmallow shooter so it feels like it takes for ever to kill anything. 

Yes, you can head shot tier 1 enemies and drop them, but it takes 3 body if you don't capitalize on that first shot. 

Clip is amazingly small for such a fast rate of fire scout.  10 rounds.  (more if you have the perks to extend it, but its still not enough.)

Its a shame, I wanted to like this rifle.  Seemed like it was going to be a viable MIDA substitute and It looks amazing but its performance leaves a lot to be desired. 

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5157 posts

I'm going to do an about face on the Angels Advocate ... Now that I have it upgraded I'm pretty disappointed in it.

It has about as much punch as a marshmallow shooter so it feels like it takes for ever to kill anything. 

Yes, you can head shot tier 1 enemies and drop them, but it takes 3 body if you don't capitalize on that first shot. 

Clip is amazingly small for such a fast rate of fire scout.  10 rounds.  (more if you have the perks to extend it, but its still not enough.)

Its a shame, I wanted to like this rifle.  Seemed like it was going to be a viable MIDA substitute and It looks amazing but its performance leaves a lot to be desired. 

I've felt the same way. Which is why I've been nurturing my Keystone 01...  

DaniArrow

DaniArrow

Forum Commander

• 1239 posts

I've been killed by the Keystone one a bunch of times last night in IB, it seems to be good for crucible with the right perks?

I got a Cryptic Dragon with crowd control and firefly which looked good too, though I guess my vendor Hung Jury from when TTK first came out will always be my preferred one (at least for PvE).

w00dzs

w00dzs

Forum Lieutenant

• 194 posts

I pulled the Distant Star last night in Ib, was very surprised on the rolls.  its right up there with my Mida.  It rolled with perfect balance, full auto or armor piercing, hidden hand or firefly.

I mean with those rolls its viable for either PVP or PVE just changing the last perk between firefly or hidden hand.

Sights are iron ranged, iron red dot or iron warrior .  Just wish it had a fer more in the mag. oh well, cant have everything.

Couldn't be happier.

• DaniArrow, R MK XXV and Pbhou like this

teppic

teppic

Forum Captain

• 499 posts

I pulled the Distant Star last night in Ib, was very surprised on the rolls. its right up there with my Mida. It rolled with perfect balance, full auto or armor piercing, hidden hand or firefly.

I mean with those rolls its viable for either PVP or PVE just changing the last perk between firefly or hidden hand.

Sights are iron ranged, iron red dot or iron warrior . Just wish it had a fer more in the mag. oh well, cant have everything.

Couldn't be happier.

Ooooooohhhh what a great roll!

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

• 1534 posts

I pulled the Distant Star last night in Ib, was very surprised on the rolls.  its right up there with my Mida.  It rolled with perfect balance, full auto or armor piercing, hidden hand or firefly.

Sights are iron ranged, iron red dot or iron warrior .  Just wish it had a fer more in the mag. oh well, cant have everything.

Couldn't be happier.

That is a really impressive roll.  I received one last night from  ... something ... might have been a bounty now that I think about it. 

My roll wasn't as impressive as yours, but I think it will work out well for me. 

Mine had:

Iron Red Dot - Iron Ranged - Iron Warrior (I think that this is the norm)

Hammer Forged - Oiled Frame (Gee, which perk do YOU think I'll use ... lol)

Light Weight - Explosive Rounds

Crowd Control - Zen Moment

Shleeepy Head

Shleeepy Head

Fringe Fanatic

• 718 posts

Got a distant star with HLS, full auto and hidden hand. Brings the mag to 10, but the gun 4-5 shots, so double kills are still realistic. Full auto plus HLS makes it an absolute lazer.

Really good gun.

• Pbhou likes this

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5157 posts

I ran my first raid almost all the way through last night.  We started getting the mechanics down for asskiss then we had to quit as people had to work today.  *gosh*  LOL...  I was running my Keystone and actually started to get really frustrated with it.  The 14 rounds were very sub par for this application.  Constant reloading while killing adds.  I got onto DIM and pulled my Pre-April Hung Jury through time and space to me, Infused a 385 Extremophile I had on me and started using the HJ to kill  the adds.  OMG, so much difference with 20 shots.  I felt more comfortable with old faithful in my hands.  Does that make me a bad person?  LOL....

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

• 1534 posts

Yeah, there is something about the new wave of scouts that just doesn't work.

The only I've cared anything for is the new banner scout. It's got similar stats to Angel and MIDA, but just seems to play better than Angel.

Jury is just a work horse. There aren't many scouts in the game that play better than it. It's also one of the few weapons that play great on. Otherwise sidesign of the fence.. (PvP - PvE)

michael6745

michael6745

Heroic Member

• 5157 posts

I didn't get the IB Scout this time around, but I've heard it's pretty awesome with the right rolls.  I'm hoping to snag a good one in future IB's.

I can still use Keystone, but just not in a Raid type situation.  However, I feel like I proc the firefly more with HJ than I do with Keystone.  The verdict is still out.  

killerbznutz

killerbznutz

Forum Lieutenant

• 153 posts

i'm kind of a gorilla fighter and scouts are my jam, i love this thread..i have keystone, mida, and hero formula, hope to get better rolls but loving them so far.

Orree

Orree

Forum Sergeant

• 92 posts

I was lucky enough to get a Distant Star drop this past IB, but I don't think I got the greatest roll (hammer forged/reinf. barrel; lightweight/extended mag; rangefinder/crowd control), that said, I went ahead and leveled it and played around with it.  It seemed really nice.  I think overall the MIDA is better, but this one seems close if you don't wanna use an exotic slot.  If I could get one with full auto and other good perks, I'd probably use it more.   All that manual trigger pulling gets tiresome for me.

I also got a Cryptic Dragon with merely okay perks that felt pretty good, too.  I'd say those are the two best new primaries I've gotten to try.  I think the sound on those new IB weapons is really cool.  Even the auto rifle sounds cool  I always thought the MIDA and Arminius-D had a really annoying, kind of goofy sounds.

I got a Keystone with my first DO package after RoI released.  It was such a bad roll, I didn't really like it at all, apart from its looks.

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

• 1534 posts

I finally received an Angel worth keeping.  

It has:

Zen Moment / Mulligan

Hand Laid Stock / High Caliber Rounds.  

Firefly

So far it performs quite a but better than the other two I received.  HCR really helps the low impact of this gun. 

Lil'Ubo

Lil'Ubo

Forum Admiral

• 6659 posts

Got a keystone with firefly and outlaw! Weeeee

redafro1980

redafro1980

Forum Lieutenant

• 225 posts

Picked up a Suros DIS47 last week from gunsmith. SPO28 sight, Full auto, HCR and injection mold. Oh my God. Fast rate of fire with HCR has their necks snapping back. Causes tons of  flinch. Wish it had braced frame instead on injection but still really good. Seems to have really good TTK. Maybe not as quick as my Grasp but pretty close. Great gun

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

• 1534 posts

Saved enough to get a FWC Wounded, but haven't picked it up yet as I've been having so much fun with this Angles Advocate!

I've leveled it up and have been using it the past 2 days on various PvE activities and it's really been a dream to use. Much better perks than the previous 2 that I received.

Out side of the mag being a little small, it's is really a good substitute for MIDA.