I went on my first raid last night with Lil'Ubo, Anklesbane, HockeyDad21 and two of Ubo's friends. We haven't finished yet. We got to Oryx and then it was late, and with work and other ADLs we called it a night.
I have to say a Raid is very interesting. I can see why doing a raid with Randoms from LFG would be very frustrating.
I am lucky that everyone who went into this Raid knew I was a noob at this and Ubo, Hockey and Ankles are all very good teachers. However, if you die, Ubo's going to tbag you. So be warned, if you run with him, it's going to happen. The fun part was, when he died, I got him back.
I won't give away any of the secrets to any other Raid noobs, but this was a fun experience. The coordination needed in order to do everything is amazing. All I have to say is hats off to those who trekked the Raid at the beginning. How the heck did they figure out what to do, when to do it, etc.
My advice for those noobs who want to Raid:
1. Have the light level. You'll need it.
2. Have some good weapons in your arsenal. And an assortment of weapons to switch to when needed.
3. Make sure you have the an app like Tower Ghost. I forgot my Black Spindle in my vault and at the War Priest I was like cr@p!!!! Then Ubo reminded me to use the app and ta-da!!! I had the Spindle in my hands.
4. Listen to the experienced players. If your as lucky as I am, they'll keep you in check throughout the encounters and make it less confusing for you.
5. Depending on who you're raiding with, you'll be the butt of many noob jokes. Just have fun with it. I think Ankles gets off on watching the noobs. Just be careful when he says "stand here"...
The Raid is all about the process/mechanics which are what take the longest to understand. Once you got that down, you're golden...
Hopefully we'll be able to finish tonight or tomorrow night and I'll have my first Raid under my belt.