Photo

R.I.P. Destiny 2014-2016

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

TheRichPanthers

TheRichPanthers

Forum Lieutenant

• 216 posts

Destiny is dead. I don't really think there is an avoiding it now. Let me define what I think a "dead" game is. I believe a dead game is one where there isn't much support, small number of active players, and not a lot of talk about it. That is what I think a dead game is. That describes Destiny almost perfectly. Let's start with the April Update.

I really think the April Update would decide the fate of Destiny. I even posted an article about it before the update launched. I still stand by that now. This was the make-or-break for Bungie. TTK was a pretty good expansion. Had Bungie capitalized on that and provided us with new content sooner, than Destiny could be in a very good condition now. Sure, we got SRL, but I really don't think the community as a whole really liked it that much. If SRL had been a permanent thing, then that would make things different, but it was only temporary.

Bungie tends to sometimes be a bit lazy with their content. The April Update was the epitome of that. Here's what we got in the update.

- 5ish new story missions.

- 1 new strike that just reused old areas.

- More POE (Because we just loved that so much the first time)

- Updated Crucible that didn't really change the core of the Crucible problems

Yep, after all our waiting we got effectively nothing. Now, I don't think that original POE was much fun, and this isn't much better. I think this time around, it is slightly more bearable. No treasure keys is a great change. The only problem is this. Bungie obviously didn't put enough thought into this. People hated POE and mostly didn't really like most of HOW either the first time around. Why in the world would you re-hash it? If you had really changed some things around and made rounds different from each other, than you would get a pass for that, but nope! Almost nothing has changed. L-A-Z-Y.

The Crucible is still enraging to play. SO much bull-crap still happens there. Bungie's Crucible changes made NO sense for the most part. Here's what needed to be fixed but wasn't.

- Wombo Combo (Smoke + 'Nade)

- Super burn 'nades (Viking Fun-eral + Touch of Flame)

- Sniper aim assist (Getting sniped from 10 feet away by 1K Stare)

- Shadestep

In my experience, these were some of the biggest issues with the Crucible. They didn't even get touched. Why? I really don't know. The community really wanted super burn to be fixed, and Bungie said no. They said that they didn't want to fix it because it required a very specific loadout in order to get them. That's stupid. Why? Because every Sunsinger is going to use that loadout! It is way too good to not use! Even with that logic, who cares if it takes a specific loadout? It is still OP as butts! It needs a fix! I am glad the adjusted Stormcaller's super though, that was frustrating to play against.

POE still isn't a lot of fun. The thing is, this update will have to carry us though the summer. Most of us will have some more free time during the summer. What is there to do in Destiny? Crucible isn't fun at all. Nothing in PvE. If POE was more fun, then it would be a good choice for this time of year, but it isn't. I might make an article soon on how Bungie could fix POE and make it fun again. I have some ideas that I think would work. Destiny is going to have even more competition over the summer with other games that are coming out as well. Not as many huge titles, but still several eye-catchers.

- Overwatch

- Battleborn

- Uncharted 4 (Future undisputed game of year, calling it right now)

- Doom

- Total War: Warhammer

- Mirror's Edge Catalyst

- Metroid prime: Federation Force

- Final Fantasy XV

Destiny can't compete with most of these games at all. Not with the content it currently has.

Let's talk about Sterling Treasures for a minute. These are an abomination. Having gear that is exclusive to these while also making their stats roll-able is stupid. If you couldn't buy these with silver, then that would make things different, but you can. You probably think I am going to say that Destiny is now pay-to-win. It isn't. Yet. Armor doesn't have that much of an effect on the game, perk-wise and stat-wise. It can give you a slight advantage or complement your play style, but it doesn't do much. I don't think Sterling will be as far as it goes though. Just look back at the history of Destiny's micro-transactions. First it was just silly little emotes, no big deal. Then it was different sparrow parts for SRL. There was even a log book of your best times, etc. That should be free! Built into the SRL itself. But anyway, it wasn't really necessary to buy, and you could get most of the stuff in-game anyway, so still okay I guess. Now here we are with Armor in Sterlings with random perks and stats. This isn't the end, people. In the next expansion, there will be even more stuff for Silver. Unless we stand together and say no, Bungievision will keep doing this to us. It needs to stop, now.

This article is hard to write. Because it stinks to even write it. I personally feel betrayed by Bungie. I feel like they betrayed my trust. When Destiny first came out, it was a mediocre game at best and a piece of trash at it's worst. We stuck with it though. TDB came around and while Crota was kinda fun, that was disappointing too. HOW wasn't much to speak of, and by the time TTK rolled around we wanted something to really bring our hopes for Destiny back up. TTK did that and more. TTK wasn't perfect, but gave us hope for Destiny's future. We didn't get much until this new April Update. For many, this was the last real hope for Destiny. Bungie blew it, and decided to give us what we deserved. After going though 7 months of almost nothing, Bungie slapped us in the face and told us to keep waiting. I personally feel that Bungie has disrespected me and my trust ,and a company that does that is not worthy of my money or my respect.

wonega

wonega

Forum Lieutenant

• 239 posts

I both agree and disagree , I wanted POE to become relevent again because I'm a solo player who deosn't raid and needs more ways to level up and they gave me that with this update, could they make it more fun Yes but it's not bad as it is.

Crusible keeps me entertained because it's PvP and will always be randomly challenging but for god sake fix your servers Bungie it's just about playable 30 fps on good days but when it lags I just log in and log off again.

This update wasn't meant to be a game changer?!? just more content to keep us occupied while they keep working on Destiny 2.

I don't think there has ever been a game that states you can play it for 5hrs a Day ever Day for the next 10 years and never get bored or run out of things to do.

I know when I take a step back and look at Destiny it's a game I know Ive got my moneys worth out of and would recomend to others to buy and personally I'm not done with it yet, but please Bungie make Destiny 2 60 fps and more reliable servers!

• Ando420 likes this

Deltatoast89

Deltatoast89

Forum Lieutenant

• 172 posts

I also have to both agree and disagree on this topic. Here are my two cents on the matter. Yes, the update did seem very lazy and lacking overall in terms of content. I'm one of those people that wants more story because, let's face it, the story bits even from TTK were lacking at least to me. PoE to me became somewhat relevant because it actually helps get you to 335 and some of the items (with the right rolls that is) are beastly. Next, the Sterling Treasures seemed like a good idea on paper but the whole "buying them with silver" thing really does seem desperate. This seems like the game is moving one step closer to pay to win like Panthers said.

In regards to the Crucible, it seems like that no matter what Bungie changes, somebody will always find a workaround. Also, the problem with fidgeting with class perks is that it has a butterfly effect for PvE as well, whether it's a weapon change, the power of Stormcallers, etc. It doesn't justify the power of certain abilities but still.

What really worries me with the new expansion coming in the fall is that either we could have to pay to play it, have the content be just as lacking as before, have some aspect of the game become pay to win or fee to pay, or any combination of the three.

As for the game being dead, I personally don't find that to be the case. Yet. I think the fall update will personally decide that for me in all honesty. I have enough friends wanting to do all the various activities to make it worthwhile for a bit longer. Bungie really needs to make a case come E3 though or I might end up joining the "Destiny is dead" bandwagon too.

One last thing, how is Metroid Prime Federation Force an eye catching game? I can't look at it without feeling disgusted.
  • Omni-Toast likes this

witty490

witty490

Apprentice

• 55 posts

The point of the micro transactions are supposedly that if enough people spend money future DLC's will be free or cheaper after the reaction of the people to the taken kings price. And if the didn't fix the setup for sun singer who's to say it won't be addressed in the fall update

TheRichPanthers

TheRichPanthers

Forum Lieutenant

• 216 posts

The point of the micro transactions are supposedly that if enough people spend money future DLC's will be free or cheaper after the reaction of the people to the taken kings price. And if the didn't fix the setup for sun singer who's to say it won't be addressed in the fall update

Because why not fix it now? Why would you need to wait?

I also have to both agree and disagree on this topic. Here are my two cents on the matter. Yes, the update did seem very lazy and lacking overall in terms of content. I'm one of those people that wants more story because, let's face it, the story bits even from TTK were lacking at least to me. PoE to me became somewhat relevant because it actually helps get you to 335 and some of the items (with the right rolls that is) are beastly. Next, the Sterling Treasures seemed like a good idea on paper but the whole "buying them with silver" thing really does seem desperate. This seems like the game is moving one step closer to pay to win like Panthers said.

In regards to the Crucible, it seems like that no matter what Bungie changes, somebody will always find a workaround. Also, the problem with fidgeting with class perks is that it has a butterfly effect for PvE as well, whether it's a weapon change, the power of Stormcallers, etc. It doesn't justify the power of certain abilities but still.

What really worries me with the new expansion coming in the fall is that either we could have to pay to play it, have the content be just as lacking as before, have some aspect of the game become pay to win or fee to pay, or any combination of the three.

As for the game being dead, I personally don't find that to be the case. Yet. I think the fall update will personally decide that for me in all honesty. I have enough friends wanting to do all the various activities to make it worthwhile for a bit longer. Bungie really needs to make a case come E3 though or I might end up joining the "Destiny is dead" bandwagon too.

One last thing, how is Metroid Prime Federation Force an eye catching game? I can't look at it without feeling disgusted.

Another Metroid game is going to turn heads. Not necessarily saying it will be a good game though. Metroid Prime has a good rep, so people will pay attention to it. POE does help you level up, but after that, there is really no reason to play it. E3 will be a huge event for Destiny, but I really don't think that many people will care too much, unless Bungie promises some really interesting things. Especially considering the overall disappointing career Destiny has had.

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

No words.

witty490

witty490

Apprentice

• 55 posts

I have no idea as to why they didn't fix it in the April update or if it will be fixed in the fall update. I'm not bungie or a destiny developer. I have no idea what goes into changing a subclass

Edited by witty490, 07 May 2016 - 05:37 PM.

vilhjamir

vilhjamir

Forum Sergeant

• 129 posts

As someone who works in book publishing where the advent of the paperback book was "the death of publishing", I don't think we're there yet. You can't hear predictions of the end of one thing ad nauseum only to have it not come to fruition and not become a little jaded to the expression, but I can sympathise with people who've been in there since Beta, laid out money for every release, and find it lacking. New people are still getting into the game –I started in November, I've got two friends into the game since then. New people pop up into this forum every day. I think a good part of that has to do with the game feeling really solid at this point, which would chap if you're an early adopter.

My clan had a few early adopters and they largely splintered off to play The Division for the few months before the expansion. They're back now, running Challenge, running the raid. Those guys who left to play Teh Diversion for a month came back to Destiny and found it fresh and as fun as after the release of TKK. There are a lot of active communities and passionate people still invested in the game.

I think the Fall Expansion (which both Bungie and Activision have now referred to as an EXPANSION, not an update) will decide much of the future, and will probably be the make or break for many. The update was an update, was always billed as such, and was meant to provide enough content to get us to E3, to the start of the hype train for the Fall. Year 2 of Destiny is definitely walking the razor's edge, but so far Bungie is managing to juggle a landscape they were clearly not prepared for (trying to please all at once Activision, Sony, Microsoft and fans while supporting last and current gen consoles).

For my part I just haven't found another game that has the appeal this does. Maybe that'll change, maybe it won't. Destiny 2 is both intriguing to me and giving me agita. Year 3, both in how it starts, and how it proceeds, will be more likely the make/break year, but until D2 is cancelled I don't think we can hear the fat lady.

• HockeyDad21 likes this

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

Yet another Destiny is Dead post. *for you FTFY.

Don't try to discount the fun that everyone else is having because you aren't enjoying a game.
  • Lil'Ubo, Art of War, EmbraceTheEdge and 5 others like this

Lil'Ubo

Lil'Ubo

Forum Admiral

• 6633 posts

honestly, i stopped reading after the title. No one is supposed to play any game for 2 years straight. But to do so and then complain that there is no content, is ridiculous.

April's update make it easy for casual players to jump back in and jump back out. It was a quality of life update. They took out a lot of the grind (forever 29, forever 319)! And, as a result, when an expansion comes out later in the year, people will come back.

If you want to sell future copies of Destiny 2, you need to make sure that people can jump in and out and leave Destiny with good feelings.

You don't find PoE fun, ok. That is your opinion. I think it is great. I'm having a blast.

Conversely, regarding lack of PvP balancing, I don't give a crap about PvP. It is bad enough that they nerf sniper ammo perks on boots and chest because of PvP.

You have the right to voice your concerns and claim that it is 'dead'. But after hearing so many people cry wolf, I don't take it very seriously anymore.

• Vipertec, Omni-Toast, Art of War and 6 others like this

fupster

fupster

NLB MLG HUMBLEBRAG!!!

• 492 posts

I find your lack of pessimism disturbing, Lil'Ubo.

• Elbows_Of_Doom likes this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3982 posts

There are definitely things that need fixed , I myself am not a big POE fan , my GF is and it got her playing the game again ,
If YOU don't like the game the way it is don't play it , plain and simple , we the gamers have to play the games the way they
are released if we don't like them then we don't play them , if they try to make things better with DLC and patches and it's still
not to your liking then don't play it , is everything in Destiny 100% to my liking ? Absolutely not , do I still play ? , yes
I do , will I keep on playing , yes I will , there are still quite a few people playing it , IMO to say it's dead is a little bit
of a stretch , I see new Guardians on a daily basis , as long as people are playing it ,it's not dead .
  • Art of War and vilhjamir like this

Deltatoast89

Deltatoast89

Forum Lieutenant

• 172 posts

Like a few have said, E3 will be make or break for Destiny. Hopefully at least some of my fears will be abated but we'll see.

TheStackTrace

TheStackTrace

stackfour

• 1260 posts

Not playing much right now, but I am looking forward to the fall update and sure as hell am looking forward to next year. I think Bungie will knock the next game out of the park with an actual story. I will also say this, I have never seen a company as dedicated to trying to make their game better, not always a great result, but they are making the attempt when many other companies would have said you get what you get at this point. It is in their best interest to keep improving the game, but they could be much more stingy if they really wanted to.
  • Vipertec and vilhjamir like this

Flombo13

Flombo13

Apprentice

• 46 posts

I am just back from an almost 6 month break. I played Destiny every day for a year and just felt like I wanted to play something new. So I dumped Destiny for BO3, but I am finished that now and back to Destiny. I love it again, can't believe I left. Got a lot of catching up to do and looking forward to the grind again :)

Greenglades

Greenglades

New Blood

• 6 posts

I wrote a review for the Destiny update which can be found here on the Planet Destiny site.

TheRichPanthers words echo pretty much what I mentioned in my summation

"The new content will be short lived ......The endgame content was not changed and I think this update will lead to more people reaching "having nothing left to gain" before the next content drops a lot quicker..... "

The best part of the update was the One to One Infusion and the checking light level for appropriate drop level rewards. That one significant change which was a space saver coupled with the way POE  drops can be obtained via three of coins, completion of the challenge, and sigil led to a dramatically increased rate of levelling without the need to even enter the raid ... and without the need for any other fireteam members. So basically once you get one toon to 335, the rest to 334 and collect all of the Prison new exotics, you continue to hit 335 on your other toons but the drive is not so much as it was for the first and after trying to maximize your score with the Challenge, that will be about it.

Even raising the old raids VOG and Crota to Year 2 and adding new exotics to them would have kept more content in the mix to hold us over to the next expansion.

Recommendations - take a break, play other games, come back and play once a week or every so often to do a nightfall or a past raid.  For the veterans, it may not seem as exciting, but for the new player, there is a story from level 1 to 40 now (well around 36-38 depending on how quick you can finish all of TTK). The drops are rewarding as you go through. The mission challenges and mechanics continually increase. My wife just started and I deleted my Warlock and made it a "kinderguardian" again and it is a lot of fun replaying from the beginning and telling my wife of bygone times - oh yeah Knights used to spawn which had the sword and it gave you 2 minutes of near god-mode... wolves used to spawn and you would never get a key to loot the chest in POE and some zones good luck finding the chest in time. Nightfalls used to give you a buff and if you all died that was it...

We miss the fact that the game was so enticing that we played it almost everyday for the 2 years it existed to exhaust all the content. For fun times join an LFG and do Atheon and Crota again with people that have never done it before. Running the templar relic is still loads of fun.

Edited by Greenglades, 08 May 2016 - 10:23 AM.

• Lil'Ubo likes this

Ryka Varad

Ryka Varad

Best Shitposter NA

• 723 posts

Welcome to the inner circle. We are players who have come to the epiphany that Destiny is dead, and in doing so freed ourselves from the shackles of Bungievision and their shady business practices.

Lil'Ubo

Lil'Ubo

Forum Admiral

• 6633 posts

Welcome to the inner circle. We are players who have come to the epiphany that Destiny is dead, and in doing so freed ourselves from the shackles of Bungievision and their shady business practices.

Your conclusion is unsupported by current numbers. But that is ok. So long and thanks for the fish!

TheRichPanthers

TheRichPanthers

Forum Lieutenant

• 216 posts

Looks like I will have to defend my point of view.

No words.

HA! Those are words! Got you there....

honestly, i stopped reading after the title. No one is supposed to play any game for 2 years straight. But to do so and then complain that there is no content, is ridiculous.

April's update make it easy for casual players to jump back in and jump back out. It was a quality of life update. They took out a lot of the grind (forever 29, forever 319)! And, as a result, when an expansion comes out later in the year, people will come back.

If you want to sell future copies of Destiny 2, you need to make sure that people can jump in and out and leave Destiny with good feelings.

You don't find PoE fun, ok. That is your opinion. I think it is great. I'm having a blast.

Conversely, regarding lack of PvP balancing, I don't give a crap about PvP. It is bad enough that they nerf sniper ammo perks on boots and chest because of PvP.

You have the right to voice your concerns and claim that it is 'dead'. But after hearing so many people cry wolf, I don't take it very seriously anymore.

I never said we should be able to play Destiny for 2 years straight. I do think that we should at least have clear communication with the developers on what is exactly coming down for us. That alone would make the wait easier to bear, knowing that there is something coming. Never had that with Bungie. At least giving us some good, quality content when you do release these updates is crucial too. We didn't get quality, or much content with this update.

Even with the fact of this being a quality of life update, we still got next to nothing as far as PvE and PvP content go. Making the infusion system better is great. Not so much after almost 7 months of nothing of any substance. This sort of attitude by Bungie is waht has led te game to the state that it is in. Bungie says they care about their fans, but they never, ever show it.

PoE isn't really a bad idea, it suffers from these set of things.

- Over-repetitiveness of the different rounds.

- General over-use of the hoard mode mechanic in Destiny as a whole.

- Unimaginative use of different enemies.

- Unimaginative bosses

PoE could be tons of fun, but isn't for me. Too much of the same thing that we have been doing all of Destiny's life span. Wait of ADs to spawn. Kill them. Repeat.

I do agree that nerfing things in PvE because of PvP problems is stupid. Why would you do that? We know Bungie can tweak different values for PvE and PvE seperatly. They did it with shotguns a while back.

Not playing much right now, but I am looking forward to the fall update and sure as hell am looking forward to next year. I think Bungie will knock the next game out of the park with an actual story. I will also say this, I have never seen a company as dedicated to trying to make their game better, not always a great result, but they are making the attempt when many other companies would have said you get what you get at this point. It is in their best interest to keep improving the game, but they could be much more stingy if they really wanted to.

I wish I had your optimism about Bungievision. I just can't. I have had enough with how they treat their fans. I am actually not sure about Bungie wanting to improve their game. I think that it is pretty clear that Activision is pulling a lot of strings with Destiny at this point, but I don't know if Bungie is going along only because they have to, or if because they genuinely want to. I want to believe the first is true, but if it was, then I would think that Destiny would be in a better state regardless.

There are definitely things that need fixed , I myself am not a big POE fan , my GF is and it got her playing the game again ,
If YOU don't like the game the way it is don't play it , plain and simple , we the gamers have to play the games the way they
are released if we don't like them then we don't play them , if they try to make things better with DLC and patches and it's still
not to your liking then don't play it , is everything in Destiny 100% to my liking ? Absolutely not , do I still play ? , yes
I do , will I keep on playing , yes I will , there are still quite a few people playing it , IMO to say it's dead is a little bit
of a stretch , I see new Guardians on a daily basis , as long as people are playing it ,it's not dead .

I want the game to be better. I really do like Destiny, just not in it's current state. People are still playing the game, but I think they are a minority at this point. I know quite a few people who have moved on from Destiny. The player base is shrinking. Also, just because you see low-leveled guardians doesn't mean that it is a new player. There are probably quite a few people out there deleting characters and re-leveling them just to have something to do. Just a thought.

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 3982 posts

Some of them may be veteran players starting over again , but for the most part they are noobs , you can tell by the way they play !
I do agree that with "I want it to be better" I do too!, but like they say you can fix a burnt cake , I have to give them credit though
they are trying , and it is bringing some people back , others will probably never return,sadly .

DaniArrow

DaniArrow

Forum Commander

• 1209 posts

I actually think PoE is fun. We even still do Crota and VoG now and then just for fun. There's King's Fall, Nightfall, Iron Banner, Trials of Osiris, Strike Playlists, Quests... I actually think there's enough to do in Destiny. The only problem is, there's not enough to gain from any of it. Since they erased these "super" weapons like Gjallarhorn, Ice Breaker and primaries with elemental damage from the game, every weapon is more or less the same and once you bought your Hung Jury, 1KS and Machine Gun you don't really need anything else.

I wish there were weapons actually worth grinding for. I loved every raid I did in hope to get my Gjallarhorn or Fatebringer, every single one even if there was no good loot. And what a thrill when I finally got them. Now, I don't even know why I'm still playing other than... well for fun.

• Omni-Toast, Elbows_Of_Doom, sgtcoy and 2 others like this

wonega

wonega

Forum Lieutenant

• 239 posts

I actually think PoE is fun. We even still do Crota and VoG now and then just for fun. There's King's Fall, Nightfall, Iron Banner, Trials of Osiris, Strike Playlists, Quests... I actually think there's enough to do in Destiny. The only problem is, there's not enough to gain from any of it. Since they erased these "super" weapons like Gjallarhorn, Ice Breaker and primaries with elemental damage from the game, every weapon is more or less the same and once you bought your Hung Jury, 1KS and Machine Gun you don't really need anything else.

I wish there were weapons actually worth grinding for. I loved every raid I did in hope to get my Gjallarhorn or Fatebringer, every single one even if there was no good loot. And what a thrill when I finally got them. Now, I don't even know why I'm still playing other than... well for fun.

word for word, this is like you have read my mind.

• DaniArrow likes this

HockeyDad21

HockeyDad21

Forum Colonel

• 1862 posts

The news of Destiny's demise has been greatly exaggerated. Look, Destiny's demise would have occurred way back in year 1. If the game wasn't fun and engaging enough at that time, there would be no expansions - no additional weapons to try for, no additional worlds to engage in, no additional quests. Just in the fact that they bring in SRL, revamp the King's Fall raid just a short time after it's release, introduce an additional foe with the Taken, revamp PoE, introduce ways to personalize your guardian with Taken armor and emotes(....need more?),  means that Bungie is finding ways to expand the game and appease the player base. Would I like to see better connections with pvp? Sure do but I still enjoy doing it and get a chuckle whenever I melee an enemy and find all of a sudden they are half way across the room not dead(can't take these things too seriously). Would I like to see better Crucible rewards? Sure would but it's made up when IB rolls around. I've said this before that Destiny is just like any other game out there - there is certain amount of content to do and play with and when you've "done it all", you go to another game until new content is added and then you come back. Just in the fact that content is added and changed should tell you right there the commitment to keep up with the player base. For me, I actually thoroughly enjoy the game overall. 

R MK XXV

R MK XXV

Undead Hunter Master race

• 1476 posts

Destiny is dead again?  Do we need to dig another grave for it ... again?

Personally, I'll consider Destiny Dead when I do patrols or visit the tower and only see 1 or two guardians the entire time. 

And that hasn't happened yet. 

Pbhou

Pbhou

Forum Lieutenant

• 300 posts

FTS, I'm having fun.  Seems to me that what we have too much of are whiny little bitches, but I don't blame Bungie for that.

Yes, there's not enough to do for the entire summer, yes my Titan is 335, and my Hunter is 334... but I have a warlock sitting in the wings at LL135 or so, so I saved myself a few things to fill my summer with.