I have been playing Destiny since the first week of launch. While I cannot call myself some uber master ultra sherpa, I would like to consider myself a pretty decent fire team member and occasion leader when need be.
I have had some people play with me over my time playing destiny and have been in many a fire teams (either 3s or 6s). I would like to share with you some of my personal experiences as to how we can all maximize the effectiveness of your team while having a blast wth the people you are with!
1. Master your class! - As silly as this may sound, some guardians still have yet to unlock the full potential of their class. Go into patrol and try new things to see what works best for your class in regards to how you play.
2. Know your role - This has a lot to do with the previous point. The 3 different class have different roles and knowing your role and how you can fit into your fire team will help make things much better for the over all success of your team. Know what you need to do and what you do best. If you are a defender, make sure you are on top of your bubble, if you are a stormcaller don't be shy with using your super or grenades when clearing out mobs, if you are a Voidwalker, max out your orb generation and remember your invis nade.
3, Communicate! - Communication is key. If you don't have a functioning mic, find a way to work out via signals as to how to answer simple questions. For those with mics, there are certain parts of every encounter that you need to be doing some talking, where some parts you can be on auto pilot. However, communicating is always important if you want to build synergy within your fire team. The King's Fall raid will absolutely test this. Remember, don't shy away from calling out supers, check if anyone needs support, focus fire, count downs, etc. The more you talk the more you will get to know the people you run with.
4. Don't be afraid to say "Sorry guys, I don't know" - Don't be shy to admit you don't know an encounter. Its better that you be honest and tell your team you don't know how to do something than you not say anything and mess something up. I cannot begin to express how important this is. I wanted to separate this from the communicating part of the tips because I think it more than just a simple act of communication. Don't feel bad, our Destiny community is largely made up of some really awesome people. Knowledge is power and using that knowledge you learn from people makes you even more powerful!
5. Be patient - For people who consider themselves sherpas or leaders, lets be more patient with those that we choose to take with us into encounters. Face it, we have all had to carry some buddies or "noobs" into encounters (Skolas was a pain in the ballz for this) and many times I had to remind myself that "yes, that was me at one time" so lets be mindful of people. For those going into encounters for the first time (whither raids or strikes) listen to people and do your very best at what your raid team or fire team is asking of you. Be patient with yourself as well and don't get frustrated, take a smoke break or a Tower break if you have to. We are all here to enjoy this game.
6. Be friendly! - This community has been absolutely fantastic and I really feel like it sets itself apart. I will be honest, I do some trash talking and jokes with friends but I'm not mean about it. I have had a bad experience in Destiny a little back and it was not fun. I would not want that for any guardian, I mean we are ALL guardians.
7. GO HAVE FUN! - Seems right to end this on a 7th point. We are all here and part of this community because we are all guardians. Lets just go and have fun. Lets go and enjoy what we love about this game.
Feel free to hit me up on XBL, I usually play longer during the weekends starting on Friday night (Friday morning EST). I also play through out the week but not as long.
Have fun everyone, happy raiding!