Photo

Remembering why I love this game

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

I hopped on today to do some daily crucibles, just to earn some passage coins.  A couple of clan mates were on running weeklies, but I have finished those already.  Nightfalls were done, as well as most of the prison runs I planned on doing. 

A personal friend of mine, new to Destiny, joined my fireteam to see what I was working on.  I wasn't doing anything productive so I asked him if he completed the weekly or the Nightfall yet.  He is only a 32, and informed me that he was unable to find anyone to run the Nightfall with.  He tried to solo it, but doesn't have the weapons or experience to do it yet.

I didn't give him a choice and took him to the Nightfall.  We were both running Sunsinger Warlocks.  I pulled out my big guns for this Solar burn Cabal week.  Ascended VoC, Icebreaker, and Hunger of Crota.  We work our way to the end and melt Valus.

And then it happens...

Those beautiful yellow letters popped up in the bottom left of the screen.  "Squirms found Gjallarhorn."  I did the yelling for him, as he hasn't played long enough to know what just happened.  His current exotics are No Land Beyond, Dragons Breath, 4th Horseman... and now this.  I spent the next few minutes explaining to him about Tracking, Proximity detonation, and of course, Wolfpack Rounds.

tl:dr, Took a new guardian through the Nightfall to earn him his first Gjallarhorn.

• Riewoldt, Kurfew, Lokhe and 3 others like this

Constancio

Constancio

Forum Sergeant

• 89 posts

the greatest moment in the game :D
I got mine on normal Atheon lol

• the_co_founder likes this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4276 posts

Very cool , I got mine on my first Nightfall too , Same situation as your friend , my GF talked me into doing Nightfall and It was Cereberus Vae III and when it was all said and done The Gjallarhorn was there , I screamed like a little girl !! My GF was happy for me even though she didn't have one yet , (she does now) ,that was back in Feburary, but I remember it like it was yesterday! 

Mrcookjr

Mrcookjr

Forum Lieutenant

• 220 posts

Lucky you! I hope to get one soon.

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

Very cool , I got mine on my first Nightfall too , Same situation as your friend , my GF talked me into doing Nightfall and It was Cereberus Vae III and when it was all said and done The Gjallarhorn was there , I screamed like a little girl !! My GF was happy for me even though she didn't have one yet , (she does now) ,that was back in Feburary, but I remember it like it was yesterday! 

I received mine from the Deathsinger, on a normal Crota run.  I was waiting there, dead to the world, waiting for the last guy alive to shoot his way back inside to revive us.  He finally got to us, we started rocketing everything and then it dropped.  Saved video.  Watch from time to time just to relive it again!

• Lokhe likes this

Lokhe

Lokhe

Bird-powered Viking

• 2495 posts

I hopped on today to do some daily crucibles, just to earn some passage coins.  A couple of clan mates were on running weeklies, but I have finished those already.  Nightfalls were done, as well as most of the prison runs I planned on doing. 

A personal friend of mine, new to Destiny, joined my fireteam to see what I was working on.  I wasn't doing anything productive so I asked him if he completed the weekly or the Nightfall yet.  He is only a 32, and informed me that he was unable to find anyone to run the Nightfall with.  He tried to solo it, but doesn't have the weapons or experience to do it yet.

I didn't give him a choice and took him to the Nightfall.  We were both running Sunsinger Warlocks.  I pulled out my big guns for this Solar burn Cabal week.  Ascended VoC, Icebreaker, and Hunger of Crota.  We work our way to the end and melt Valus.

And then it happens...

Those beautiful yellow letters popped up in the bottom left of the screen.  "Squirms found Gjallarhorn."  I did the yelling for him, as he hasn't played long enough to know what just happened.  His current exotics are No Land Beyond, Dragons Breath, 4th Horseman... and now this.  I spent the next few minutes explaining to him about Tracking, Proximity detonation, and of course, Wolfpack Rounds.

tl:dr, Took a new guardian through the Nightfall to earn him his first Gjallarhorn.

Did you tell me about this yesterday? I was distracted by Rumble >_> That is awesome! My buddy recently got it as well, from a Skirmish game x'D

RavenholmDX

RavenholmDX

Recruit

• 10 posts

I purchased the game at launch and played for a solid month, levelling up to 26 or whatever, but had to do some travelling so set it aside and largely forgot about it. I came back with House of Wolves, and on my first day back, I got both a Truth and Gjallerhorn. I was like your buddy, I knew of the mystique around the weapon, but I didn't fully grasp how hard it can be to drop for some people.

I love my Gjallerhorn now.

Lokhe

Lokhe

Bird-powered Viking

• 2495 posts

I purchased the game at launch and played for a solid month, levelling up to 26 or whatever, but had to do some travelling so set it aside and largely forgot about it. I came back with House of Wolves, and on my first day back, I got both a Truth and Gjallerhorn. I was like your buddy, I knew of the mystique around the weapon, but I didn't fully grasp how hard it can be to drop for some people.

I love my Gjallerhorn now.

What a glorious return hehe.

BearFacedMatt

BearFacedMatt

Apprentice

• 52 posts

And here in lies the whole point in this game. "TO PLAY WITH FRIENDS!"

The bane of my existence is my "elite" (self proclaimed of course) friends who refuse to do anything that doesn't have any gain for them. I love playing with my friends who don't have a 34 (or even a 32+) character. They just seem to enjoy the game more, and I have way more fun running story missions with them, than grinding out 35 Skolas and listening to people complain about getting ANOTHER Elder Cipher.

Great post :laugh:

The_SlayerSaint

The_SlayerSaint

Forum Lieutenant

• 271 posts

I got a nice story for my Gjallarhorn as well. It was sometime in March and I had been playing since December with just a Hunter. Made a Titan in February and got him all the way up to 27, while my Hunter was a 32. On my Hunter I had the HM Gorgon's CP so I gave it to a group of guys and they all thanked me and asked me if I needed to finish the rest of the raid. I didn't on my Hunter so I said only if they didn't mind carrying my Titan since he's 3 levels underleveled, and they said no they could basically 5 man it. Get to Atheon, do it on our 2nd or 3rd try (thankfully a 27 can actually damage Oracles) and boom what pops up in the bottom corner? "The_SlayerSaint found Gjallarhorn" and I freaked. They all asked me the typical question, "is it your first?" and it was. They were all happy for me except one guy who didn't have one yet haha, and said it must've been good karma. 

Was a nice way to get one, still only have that one to this day so I'm glad I got it there. 

UNR3AL SKILLS

UNR3AL SKILLS

Forum Lieutenant

• 161 posts

I feel like it's more exciting the longer you go without it. He'll never truly understand what it's like to be praying every drop to finally get that Gjallarhorn. Got mine in the Abyss chest before they moved it to Ir Yut. 

kendelahoussaye

kendelahoussaye

Forum Lieutenant

• 304 posts

I've gotten the chance to experience several people getting their first(and second or third)Gjally, but haven't had the luck of getting one myself. I'll run the nightfall with you next week, haha.

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

I've gotten the chance to experience several people getting their first(and second or third)Gjally, but haven't had the luck of getting one myself. I'll run the nightfall with you next week, haha.

You just say when!

I cannot make promises, but have been around to see quite a few Gjalley's drop for other clan mates and friends

BRC37

BRC37

Forum Lieutenant

• 315 posts

I got mine from the Archon Rainbow burn about 2.5 months ago. My brother in law who has Gjallarhorn and I worked our way through were joined part way by a clanmate who also has a Gjallarhorn. When we opened the Archons cell they blasted with their Gjallarhorns and I was using my Void One Way Ticket when it happened "BRC37 has found Gjallarhorn". To kill the Archon took about 45 seconds and I was in the middle of saying "That wasn't worth it" when it dropped. I took back my words right away.

A friend of mine pulled Gjallarhorn out of the Gorgon chest on Friday. He went utter silent for like 5 minutes. 

Ole Shawn

Ole Shawn

Forum Sergeant

• 129 posts

I have noticed that new people to destiny have and strong chance to get great drops. I know a guy you got Fatebringer, vex and Gjallahorn on one raid! and he complained how he didn't get any armor lol.

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

I have noticed that new people to destiny have and strong chance to get great drops. I know a guy you got Fatebringer, vex and Gjallahorn on one raid! and he complained how he didn't get any armor lol.

Haha, in his defense, those guns are worthless if your armor isnt at level, so there is that!!!