Photo

Shot Package or Rangefinder?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

I landed a few of the Legendary shotguns during this week's Iron Banner.  Some of them had Shot Package, some of them had Rangefinder.  If the shotguns have a similar range, which of these perks is more beneficial?

Sidewinder Mk.49

Sidewinder Mk.49

Forum Lieutenant

• 336 posts

I landed a few of the Legendary shotguns during this week's Iron Banner.  Some of them had Shot Package, some of them had Rangefinder.  If the shotguns have a similar range, which of these perks is more beneficial?

If the shotgun has enough range (Matador, Party Crasher, Felwinter, etc.) Shotpackage is better. It reduces the spread, which means that more pellets land at range. Even if the range is low, Rangefinder is hard pressed to beat Shotpackage. If you reroll it and get rangefinder and perfect perks, just use it, it's fine. But if you had the choice, Shotpackage is much better.

Lokhe

Lokhe

Bird-powered Viking

• 2495 posts

It's all well and good to reach the target, but if half of the pellets miss, the point is kind of moot.

I don't know whether or not Rangefinder pushes the damage drop off beyond the cap on range but if it doesn't the perk is useless on the shotguns which all reach the cap without it.

RichGTR

RichGTR

Forum Lieutenant

• 237 posts

Both are viable options but for me Shot package is the clear winner as you can get other tree perks to increase the range. The fact it reduces the spread and tightens them means if you have a high impact shotgun such as Fewlinters/Matador/Judgement ect you can get consistent 1 hit kills if you are accurate.

My personal recommendation is Aggressive Ballistics- Shot Package- Small Bore- Whatever you want, I have luck in the chamber.

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

I have a shotgun with rangefinder and another with Shot package.

First you need to understand how a shotgun works in destiny. Each shot has X ammount of pellets, each doing damage on the target. As its shot, it spreads outwards in a radial cone up to the terminal range (range when each pellet does zero damage). The size of the cone on the high end of the range is big. You can test this in PVE with clusters of enemies and you'll see that wide area in which damage appears. 

Now, my understanding of shotpackage is, know how your weapon has a range value? Lets say 4? Ok, it means that each pellet will do max damage up to that range. But this damage might not all fall into the same target. A guardian lets say is an area of 1,8m tall and... 0,8m wide. If the cone of pellets is wider than 0,8m, some pellets will not land on the target. They will pass around him even if he is in a range in which each pellet does max damage. What Shot Package does is to tighten the cone of pellets and concentrate them more throughout the max range of the weapon. As its tightened, the cone of pellets is more likely to all land on the target within that range. This said, it changes the cone of pellet travel by tightening it but leaves the range untouched. Effectively, your weapon will have a higher useful range but the value of range is unchanged. Additionally, the higher the range in a shotgun, the wider the pellet cone tends to be. I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure that the cone itself (angles) is the same for all shotguns. So by adding range without any additional tweak, the cone actually gets even wider even if each pellet does max damage further away from you.

Now, rangefinder works differently. When you aim down the sights, the perk artificially increases the stat "range" by adding +X value to it. In a shotgun, it can be good and bad. More range is always good in shotguns but don't expect that the useful range will increase that much with rangefinder. Its true that pellets will do max damage at a higher range but the cone might be too spread to hit them all in your target. 

In an simple manner, if your shotgun has a high base range, shot package will be more useful. It will tighten the spread of pellets and allow you to land more into your target at a higher range. If you shotgun has low range, range finder might be better. It will change the range to a higher level while leaving the cone of pellets unchanged. Each pellet will do max damage up to a distance further from you than before but, because the range was low to begin with, with the perk, its feasible that max damage at max range will still allow a nice cone of pellets that makes it useful.

Its not easy to explain. Lol

• Ryka Varad and shadow5833 like this

EmbraceTheEdge

EmbraceTheEdge

Forum Captain

• 725 posts

That's great insight mrscorps. I have a few shotguns with both but haven't done any type of testing, other then running around in circles and shooting things in the face. Doing that, shot package "felt" a little better. But again, I haven't done anything purposely to really know for sure.

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

I have a shotgun with rangefinder and another with Shot package.

First you need to understand how a shotgun works in destiny. Each shot has X ammount of pellets, each doing damage on the target. As its shot, it spreads outwards in a radial cone up to the terminal range (range when each pellet does zero damage). The size of the cone on the high end of the range is big. You can test this in PVE with clusters of enemies and you'll see that wide area in which damage appears. 

Now, my understanding of shotpackage is, know how your weapon has a range value? Lets say 4? Ok, it means that each pellet will do max damage up to that range. But this damage might not all fall into the same target. A guardian lets say is an area of 1,8m tall and... 0,8m wide. If the cone of pellets is wider than 0,8m, some pellets will not land on the target. They will pass around him even if he is in a range in which each pellet does max damage. What Shot Package does is to tighten the cone of pellets and concentrate them more throughout the max range of the weapon. As its tightened, the cone of pellets is more likely to all land on the target within that range. This said, it changes the cone of pellet travel by tightening it but leaves the range untouched. Effectively, your weapon will have a higher useful range but the value of range is unchanged. Additionally, the higher the range in a shotgun, the wider the pellet cone tends to be. I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure that the cone itself (angles) is the same for all shotguns. So by adding range without any additional tweak, the cone actually gets even wider even if each pellet does max damage further away from you.

Now, rangefinder works differently. When you aim down the sights, the perk artificially increases the stat "range" by adding +X value to it. In a shotgun, it can be good and bad. More range is always good in shotguns but don't expect that the useful range will increase that much with rangefinder. Its true that pellets will do max damage at a higher range but the cone might be too spread to hit them all in your target. 

In an simple manner, if your shotgun has a high base range, shot package will be more useful. It will tighten the spread of pellets and allow you to land more into your target at a higher range. If you shotgun has low range, range finder might be better. It will change the range to a higher level while leaving the cone of pellets unchanged. Each pellet will do max damage up to a distance further from you than before but, because the range was low to begin with, with the perk, its feasible that max damage at max range will still allow a nice cone of pellets that makes it useful.

Its not easy to explain. Lol

haha, believe it or not, I followed that for the most part!

thanks for the explanation.  SP all days from here on out

supermiff

supermiff

Agent of the 9

• 106 posts

Stick to using shotguns with good range and use shotpackage. Great range combined with a reduction in spread makes for the perfect shotgun.

shadow5833

shadow5833

Apprentice

• 38 posts

-deleted- 

Edited by shadow5833, 10 April 2018 - 09:02 PM.

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

well, landed my perfect roll today for a matador... Aggressive, ShotPackage, Reinforced Barrel and Last Round.  Yes please