navidee

navidee

Forum Major

• 801 posts

Update on Vision of Confluence posted

Week 11: 27 July - 03 August 2015
Vex Mythoclast
http://db.planetdest.../view/346443849
Obtained from: Atheon - YAY ! - No wait they nerfed it back to being useless in the last patch right?

Initial Thoughts: (Un-Upgraded)

So the Vex was good and then it was bad and now it is worse ? Or was it bad and then it was great and now it is somewhere in between?
Who is sure anymore.
I've wanted this since the first time I heard one fire (at me) and was overjoyed for a few seconds when it finally dropped after a titan effort to get Atheon down on Friday.
Let's see if this is as bad as they ... yeah spent 5 minutes with it and I can already tell this is going to be a tough week. I'll have to stock up on Secondary Synth :)

it has the handling of an AR and the damage output of a Fusion? or is that the Stability of an AR with the Range of a Fus ... nvm I'm already at a loss as to what this is actually supposed to be in terms of usage.

Perks:

Zen Moment

Extended Mag
Send It
Lightweight
Crowd Control

Stay Tuned for more updates

I ended up getting this on Friday as well. It's fun to use, but can't see myself using a whole bunch. Had fun in the crucible with it on Saturday though! Fully leveled it last night, so at least that's outta the way 😉

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Update on Vex Mythoclast posted

Week 11: 03 August - 10 August 2015
NL Shadow 701X
http://db.planetdest...view/1566869545
Obtained from: Iron Banner - LOL, RNG FTW FFS :/

I tend to use Scout Rifles a lot these days, even more so than HC's

So, I wasn't too dissapointed in having the Shadow drop for me this week during Iron Banner

Stats wise it looks identical to the Zerio Point LOTP from the Crucible Quartermaster, and I suspect it is probably better for PvP than for PvE, but let's see

Perks:

Full Auto

Single Point Sling

Lightweight

Hand-Laid Stock

Crowd Control

Final Update:

How much fun is this weapon ? The simple answer is a lot, the more complex answer is, Loads of fun once you get a set of perks that you are happy with.

The Shadow fires faster than the Suros if fired in full auto and literally feels like an AR of old.

I played with two versions of this weapon, mine, with the perks listed above and my wife's, which has Firefly instead of Crowd Control.

I've stated a few times how I've been feeling like Reforging is cheapening the experience but if you are able to Reforge your Shadow, get Firefly on it as even at the insane fire rate this rilfe is capable of, it still works like a charm and delivers that same feeling of contentment that some of the more well known weapons, like Fatbringer,  are famous for.

Lokhe

Lokhe

Bird-powered Viking

• 2495 posts

That's a nice roll for pve though :)

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

You are going to have fun with that shadow.  thats a hell of a roll

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

Week 11: 20 July - 27 July 2015
Hawkmoon
http://db.planetdest...view/3164616407
Obtained from: Nightfall - Let's see, I traded 50 Deaths for it so hopefully it is as good as they say

Back to Hand Cannon drops for me, thanks RNG !

Everyone is always going on about how good Hawkmoon is and tbh I have sort of neglected playing with the one I had since getting it.

Now though as it dropped for me during NF again I will endeavour to give it the attention it deserves.

Let's see if the slower firing rate gets to me before I appreciate the devastation that comes with potentially having 3 bullets in the mag that are capable of melting faces.

Perks:
Luck in The Chamber

Hammer Forged

Quickdraw

Speed Reload

Holding Aces

Final Update:

I have finished my week with the Hawkmoon and as stated in an earlier post I can buy into all the hype now.

This weapon embodies the true spirit of the class it belongs to and truly feels like a Hand Cannon.

It utterly destroys anything it comes up against and can probably be described best as being the Chuck Norris of HC's

The fire rate is slightly slower than some of the other "big" HC's but once you get the hang of it you'll be overjoyed when you see the damage output it can deliver, albeit at a moderate pace.

I would recommend that if you are on PS4 and have this already, you level it up and spend some quality time with it :)

I have this love hate relationship with Hawkmoon. In one side, its an amazing weapon, with a huge damage output that has no rival. I honestly think that if you compare brute and raw DPS, Hawkmoon is the primary that trumphs all others. I honestly feel its stronger in terms of damage output that any other primary. Even perhaps than the Vex. However, it drops for me more than bills to pay in the end of the month and so far, I've had 8 drop for me since I started playing. It was one of my first exotics to drop. 

In PVP, once you trust in that aim assist for your following shot and you master the recoil, it can become the most deadly weapon available for you. Atm, there is no map you'll feel you're out of range and there is no situation in which you'll feel outgunned. It isn't, however, as easy to master as the Thorn. In PVE, its simple: it only has one fault which is that its not elemental. However, its impact makes it so that you will rarely feel the lack of element against most shielded enemies. It simply pisses on shielded enemies and shouts "elemental damage? Pfff... I'm Hawkmoon bitch!". The exotic perks aren't really that exotic and you begin to appreciate this weapon as you did with suros and mida multitool for example: its simply a  great great great weapon. 

Week 11: 27 July - 03 August 2015
Vex Mythoclast
http://db.planetdest.../view/346443849
Obtained from: Atheon - YAY ! - No wait they nerfed it back to being useless in the last patch right?

So the Vex was good and then it was bad and now it is worse ? Or was it bad and then it was great and now it is somewhere in between?

Who is sure anymore.

I've wanted this since the first time I heard one fire (at me) and was overjoyed for a few seconds when it finally dropped after a titan effort to get Atheon down on Friday.

Let's see if this is as bad as they ... yeah spent 5 minutes with it and I can already tell this is going to be a tough week. I'll have to stock up on Secondary Synth :)

it has the handling of an AR and the damage output of a Fusion? or is that the Stability of an AR with the Range of a Fus ... nvm I'm already at a loss as to what this is actually supposed to be in terms of usage.

Perks:

Zen Moment

Extended Mag

Send It

Lightweight

Crowd Control

Final Update:

Sooooooo ... It has been a long week, and by that I mean that I've had immense issues with this weapon

It is fun to play with and is truly a unique AR / Fusion Experience and at times, it can appear to be fairly useful

Unfortunately it does not suit my playstyle at all though, I've struggled with Recoil, I've struggled with maintaining a steady stream of bullets to the face of whatever I'm facing and I've struggled finding ammo during the Nightfall enough to firmly say that I truly dislike this rilfe and will in all probability not be taking it out of my vault unless something drastic happens to shore up the range / Damage Falloff and Ammo Issues.

Nothing sucks like facing an Ogre and having your primary run out of Ammo.

I tried harsh words, I tried a winning smile but in the end, the Ogre just didn't care about my issues.

The Vex... Dropped for me in my first hard mode VOG which I ran after the initial nerf it received. It then got a buff and then got a re-nerf and now it got a fix. Or something. 

DPS wise: if you are in its optimal range, nothing melts enemies like the vex with the exception of perhaps hawkmoon. Its hard to say. However, it can melt enemies really fast if you are in that sweet range spot. Its raw dps and the combination of Zen moment with crowd control makes it a sinergetic weapon against mobs and majors. Because its a fusion, its damage works differently and it hits strong even in majors and mainly against shields.

Its immensely powerful and fun. Its amazingly looking. Buutttttt....

Magazine is too low. If you have Send it, you are left with 21 shots which it unleashes in a ridiculous speed. If you increase it to 35, (or 36, dunno atm), its range suffers dramatically. The increase in mag is even worse when you consider it only increases mag and not reserve ammo like field scout. And this becomes the biggest issue with the Vex. You either have a usable range but you need to reload consciously or you have a bigger mag but are left with a range that is simply not ideal.

Handling wise, I actually think its very stable and usable. I like the sight as well. In Crota, I often run this weapon as my primary. Same with solar nightfalls that don't require the range of VOC. 

but the issue is, no matter the activity, you'll always be searching for primary ammo. It depletes it so fast that its really not an ideal option in terms of efficiency. Its a gimmick weapon atm, along with Super Good Advice, Dragons Breath, Universal Remote, No Land Beyond, Pocket Infinity and Hard Light. Fun and interesting but at the end of the day, just not effecient enough.

NL Shadow 701X

So, I wasn't too dissapointed in having the Shadow drop for me this week during Iron Banner

Stats wise it looks identical to the Zerio Point LOTP from the Crucible Quartermaster, and I suspect it is probably better for PvP than for PvE, but let's see

Perks:

Full Auto

Single Point Sling

Lightweight

Hand-Laid Stock

Crowd Control

I have a friend on my clan that runs one with full auto, firefly and explosive rounds. The thing is a beast. Its like a higher DPS suros. Really!

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Update on Shadow posted

Week 12: 10 August - 18 August 2015
Ill Will
http://db.planetdest...view/2210820430

Obtained from: To Be Honest I can't remember if it was a Vanguard or Crucible package, both made me cry as I got the same useless stuff from them as always, well, except for this HC of course.

Back to HC's for me it seems.

I noticed Ill Will for the first time when I was looking for a High Impact HC to use.

With the same base impact as Timurs' Lash, I was actually fairly happy when this popped up for me in a random package as I don't have the lash as yet due to being completely glimmerless during the last IB :)

Perks:

Final Round

Snapshot

Lightweight

Rifled Barrel

Spray and Play

My main concern at this stage is the small magazine size, coupled with the not so hot reload speed.

I'm wondering if selecting Rifled Barrel, which basically minimizes the reload base stat even further, will be offset enough by Spray and Play to make it a feasible choice above the other middle tier perks.

Final Update:

The Ill Will has actually been fairly impressive this week.

I found myself slightly handicapped with the 7 Round Clip, But after learning how to exploit my War Machine Perk on the Defender Subclass I found this to be less of an issue.

Yes, the clip size is limiting, but with War Machine working for me, and Spray and Play negating any issues around reloading I have to admit to having a lot of fun using this HC.

It hits hard and on lower level strikes etc you will find yourself pretty much one shotting anything that breathes.

Tried it out on the Weekly and Daily missions as well and found that even against level 32 enemies it was still very effective.

Final thought is that if you don't have Timur's Lash and you are looking for an alternative to Hawkmoon, take a look at the Ill Will, it might serve you well.

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

Update on Shadow posted

Week 12: 10 August - 18 August 2015
Ill Will
http://db.planetdest...view/2210820430

Obtained from: To Be Honest I can't remember if it was a Vanguard or Crucible package, both made me cry as I got the same useless stuff from them as always, well, except for this HC of course.

Back to HC's for me it seems.

I noticed Ill Will for the first time when I was looking for a High Impact HC to use.

With the same base impact as Timurs' Lash, I was actually fairly happy when this popped up for me in a random package as I don't have the lash as yet due to being completely glimmerless during the last IB :)

Perks:

Final Round

Snapshot

Lightweight

Rifled Barrel

Spray and Play

My main concern at this stage is the small magazine size, coupled with the not so hot reload speed.

I'm wondering if selecting Rifled Barrel, which basically minimizes the reload base stat even further, will be offset enough by Spray and Play to make it a feasible choice above the other middle tier perks.

Again, quite a good roll for this gun.  Once you have it upgraded, that final round will hit like a truck, and Spray and Play will be nearly an instant reload.  After that, Use either Snapshot for quick draws or Rifled for max range.  I think you will finding yourself liking this gun quite a lot.

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

Its a decent handcannon with a decent roll. I had one with Triple Tap and I think it was spray and play. The issue I had with it was that the roll I had was simply not effective enough and I didn't find any good reason to change from a Fulcrum or Red Hand IX to this weapon. Additionally, if you roll Timur's Lash with tons of stability and/or aim assist, you'll get an overal superior weapon. 

Its like Hard Luck Charm. Good weapon. Just not... the best.

LegionaryForce

LegionaryForce

Forum Lieutenant

• 223 posts

I have this love hate relationship with Hawkmoon. In one side, its an amazing weapon, with a huge damage output that has no rival. I honestly think that if you compare brute and raw DPS, Hawkmoon is the primary that trumphs all others. I honestly feel its stronger in terms of damage output that any other primary. Even perhaps than the Vex. However, it drops for me more than bills to pay in the end of the month and so far, I've had 8 drop for me since I started playing. It was one of my first exotics to drop. 

In PVP, once you trust in that aim assist for your following shot and you master the recoil, it can become the most deadly weapon available for you. Atm, there is no map you'll feel you're out of range and there is no situation in which you'll feel outgunned. It isn't, however, as easy to master as the Thorn. In PVE, its simple: it only has one fault which is that its not elemental. However, its impact makes it so that you will rarely feel the lack of element against most shielded enemies. It simply pisses on shielded enemies and shouts "elemental damage? Pfff... I'm Hawkmoon bitch!". The exotic perks aren't really that exotic and you begin to appreciate this weapon as you did with suros and mida multitool for example: its simply a  great great great weapon. 

The Vex... Dropped for me in my first hard mode VOG which I ran after the initial nerf it received. It then got a buff and then got a re-nerf and now it got a fix. Or something. 

DPS wise: if you are in its optimal range, nothing melts enemies like the vex with the exception of perhaps hawkmoon. Its hard to say. However, it can melt enemies really fast if you are in that sweet range spot. Its raw dps and the combination of Zen moment with crowd control makes it a sinergetic weapon against mobs and majors. Because its a fusion, its damage works differently and it hits strong even in majors and mainly against shields.

Its immensely powerful and fun. Its amazingly looking. Buutttttt....

Magazine is too low. If you have Send it, you are left with 21 shots which it unleashes in a ridiculous speed. If you increase it to 35, (or 36, dunno atm), its range suffers dramatically. The increase in mag is even worse when you consider it only increases mag and not reserve ammo like field scout. And this becomes the biggest issue with the Vex. You either have a usable range but you need to reload consciously or you have a bigger mag but are left with a range that is simply not ideal.

Handling wise, I actually think its very stable and usable. I like the sight as well. In Crota, I often run this weapon as my primary. Same with solar nightfalls that don't require the range of VOC. 

but the issue is, no matter the activity, you'll always be searching for primary ammo. It depletes it so fast that its really not an ideal option in terms of efficiency. Its a gimmick weapon atm, along with Super Good Advice, Dragons Breath, Universal Remote, No Land Beyond, Pocket Infinity and Hard Light. Fun and interesting but at the end of the day, just not effecient enough.

I have a friend on my clan that runs one with full auto, firefly and explosive rounds. The thing is a beast. Its like a higher DPS suros. Really!

This sounds like the roll I have on mine - but I never have a chance to use it! I'm always using one of the more exotic legendaries (raid weapons, etc.) I keep telling myself I'm going to spend some time on it, but I never get around to it!

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Update on Shadow posted

Week 13: 17 August - 24 August 2015
High Road Soldier
http://db.planetdest...view/1566869547

Obtained from: Strike Playlist

High Road Soldier looks a lot like a carbon copy of the One / One Synthesete.

I'll spend the week coming to terms with it but so far, the differences seem negligible.

My Perks are horrible though and as I said I would not Re-roll anything for WoTW anymore, I might find using this to be a lot more frustrating than I would ideally prefer.

Perks:

Replenish

Single Point Sling

Lightweight

Reinforced Barrel

Third Eye

Final Thought:

The High Road Soldier is a great starter scout IF you roll it with decent perks but cannot compete with some of the other Scout Rifles that are availale.

Replenish has limited use in the version I tested of it.

Overall, if you are looking for something that hits harder, try the Salvation State, if you are looking for something that fires faster, go with the Shadow or Deadshot.

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

Going to be a rough week.  That will be an average weapon at best with that roll.

But then again, you have had top tier weapons like the last 6 weeks, so its time for a dumper.

DaniArrow

DaniArrow

Forum Commander

• 1245 posts

Has Dry Rot 32 ever been in here? It's an awesome shotgun for PvE, superfast rate of fire, almost like an auto rifle. Roll it with solar and full auto and you can tackle those 35 cabal majors in close quarter combat. :P

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

Has Dry Rot 32 ever been in here? It's an awesome shotgun for PvE, superfast rate of fire, almost like an auto rifle. Roll it with solar and full auto and you can tackle those 35 cabal majors in close quarter combat. :P

Xero is doing this for primary weapons. He runs with the first one that drops for him each week, and isnt allowed to reroll them just to try the different perks.

• DaniArrow likes this

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Dani

As Founder mentioned I'm only doing primariy weapons at this stage

However I've played with Dry Rot and I realyl enjoy using it, mine isn't rolled for full auto but geared towards making my Warlock a Melee Machine

Great Shotgun though

• DaniArrow likes this

Dobanin

Dobanin

Forum Sergeant

• 79 posts

I've had the NL Shadow in my inventory for a few months and just got around to rerolling it.  Went with Full Auto, Hand Laid Stock and Third Eye.  It's no replacement for MIDA, but it is a fun gun to use.  I'm very interested to see how the Scout Rifle buff goes in the 2.0 update. 

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Hi Everyone

I've added in the update to the High Road Soldier test and would like to take this time to thank everyone for the feedback and support I received during this project.

Everyone I played with onyl quietly rolled their eyes when I failed to kill something as basic as  Dreg with one of the WoTW guns, very few people booted me back to orbit and almost no one sent me hatemail because I was the weak link in the chain.

I am afraid I will be ending the Weapon of The Week this week and will not be continuing on with it moving forward.

The reason being that for now at least, and as far as I understand what will be happening with the release of The Taken King, current legendary weapons will become obsolete, therefore making handling and performance reviews of them pointless at this stage.

I might revisit this once TTK launches and I get to play with some of the new weapons

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

I loved this series and when the TTK releases I'd love to read a new series about TTK weapons. ;) 

PS- We need to raid/strike/crucible again my friend ;)

• Lil'Ubo likes this

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Hey Scorps, yeah I'll try to get some game time in over this coming weekend, my weeks have been hectic

If you see me online though, pop me a message, I'm always up for striking / raiding or generally dying for no apparent reason in Crucible :)

If The Taken King has a more fixed perkset for the weapons, which it seems to have, I will start off a new series shortly after release based on those weapons

LegionaryForce

LegionaryForce

Forum Lieutenant

• 223 posts

This is good feedback. I've gotten several Dry Rots, along with a bunch of other shotties, and I'm always torn which ones to develop. I haven't dismantled the Dry Rots, but I've been using more the Party Crashers. I also have a void hard luck charm that I got early on and kept, because it's void and has high caliber rounds, so it drops minotaurs very nicely. (I freakin' HATE MINOTAURS!!!)

Having said that, I will start field testing one or two of the Dry Rots - I know one of 'em is definitely solar, but I don't think any of them have full auto.

Xero, I'll miss the series, it's been great to follow.

Berserkquatch

Berserkquatch

Inside Joke Historian

• 369 posts

NL Shadow 701X

Perks:

Full Auto

Single Point Sling

Lightweight

Hand-Laid Stock

Crowd Control

Final Update:

How much fun is this weapon ? The simple answer is a lot, the more complex answer is, Loads of fun once you get a set of perks that you are happy with.

The Shadow fires faster than the Suros if fired in full auto and literally feels like an AR of old.

I played with two versions of this weapon, mine, with the perks listed above and my wife's, which has Firefly instead of Crowd Control.

I've stated a few times how I've been feeling like Reforging is cheapening the experience but if you are able to Reforge your Shadow, get Firefly on it as even at the insane fire rate this rilfe is capable of, it still works like a charm and delivers that same feeling of contentment that some of the more well known weapons, like Fatbringer,  are famous for.

I'd like to bring to light some confusion based around this weapon. Its impact is actually lower than its impact bar shows. it shares the same impact as Deadshot Luna. This error in the bar display has lead to a lot of folks saying this is the best scout in terms of dps.

Also, high road soldier has an identical RoF/Impact to mida multi tool. its base stats are worse without a doubt compared to mida, but it allows for similar functionality without taking up an exotic slot!

my $.02 for the day