Photo

Xero Chance - Weapon of The Week

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

BeefyRose41

BeefyRose41

Recruit

• 17 posts

Just got it from Xur. I can't see it being used in high end PVE (any of the POE challenge modes, raids, even dragon strikes it might suffer) or even PVP for that matter (ToO, Iron Banner, such forth) So I mean, I'm waiting for the final update now. You have my prayers for #ScrewNoLandBeyondWeek

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Week 06: 08 June - 15 June 2015
Oversoul Edict
http://db.planetdest.../view/868574327
Obtained from: Crota HM

Initial Thoughts: (Un-Upgraded)

I love pulse Rifles and I've been wanting to get my hands on Oversoul for quite some time.

Although it is part of the high fire rate, low impact range of Pulse Rifles it is a blast to use right from the start.

Perks:
Full Auto

Snapshot

Field Scout

Fitted Stock

Dark Breaker

More updates to follow as my weeklong quest starts out with me laying waste to anything that looks like it was created by the Hive.

Update Final:

I love this weapon.

It requires a bit of getting used to especialyl if you fire it at full auto all the time, but overall I would definately recommend playing the HM Raid until you get this.

Once you are used to how the recoil pulls at your sights you will find yourself hitting headshots with most of your bullets and nothing says I love you like a bullet to the face, everyone knows that :)

Get It

Week 07: 15 June - 22 June 2015
55A Allfate
http://db.planetdest...view/4265265106
Obtained from: Vanguard Package

I love pulse Rifles and I've been looking at this one since it was listed on PD's Database for the first time as being a vendor available Pulse Rifle.

I've started playing with it and although I've had to reroll mine 7 times as per the "uniform decision" made by Founder and gotten stuck with perks that are not great, it is a well balanced solid performing Pulse Rifle so far

Perks:
Rodeo

Skip Rounds

Lightweight

Casket Mag

Hidden Hand

More updates to follow as my weeklong quest starts out.

Final Update:

So I've spent a lot of time with the Allfate this week and I have to admit to liking it a lot, fire rate is good with a fairly manageable recoil and overall decent performance.

I would recommend getting it and rerolling until you get something like Headseeker, which generally improves anything Pulse Rifle Related.

If you have 150 marks lying around and need to buy a Pulse, you could do worse than this weapon, although if you love the higher impact you may be best served by hoping for Spare Change .25 to drop.

@Scorps

It is not as powerful as Three Little Words but I would rate it above the Conduit so far for PVP

• Lokhe and LegionaryForce like this

Lokhe

Lokhe

Bird-powered Viking

• 2495 posts

Not an entirely bad roll though right?

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

No the roll was good on it but I have to reroll 7 times (Week 7)

So let's see what I wind up with

Lokhe

Lokhe

Bird-powered Viking

• 2495 posts

No the roll was good on it but I have to reroll 7 times (Week 7)

So let's see what I wind up with

Oh I thought you already did :)

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

I've been failling to post here. 

Red Hand IX - got the original version from a random drop at around february. It was the main weapon of my titan for a long time. Its also very solid for PVP and PVE alike which makes it a very solid weapon overal. Its easier to use in PVE but with a doable learning curve, even casuals can be sucessfull with it in PVP. Just control the recoil and pull that trigger like crazy and believe in the gun. It will do the rest.

Universal Remote - When I do patrols or most dailies or even sometimes POE at 28, I use this weapon in tandem with either a sniper or a good fusion like Murmur. Its really an unique weapon but with the buff to shotguns it became an actual viable choice. I have also used it to keep the portals opened in the gatekeeper section of the VOG or as my primary to open the vault itself. A fun combo was using this with my other 3 shotguns (an arc and solar secret handshakes and a void felwinters). And if you're a titan, keep that bubble up and have fun man. The downsides to it is that as a shotgun I feel its not a top tier shotgun. Sure, the range is high with its perks but its still not high enough to fully make it a valid choice beyond a felwinters with the range perks well rolled. More importantly, I feel I can do what I do with it just as good using Invective (if you actually compare their stats, invective has a higher max range (!!!!), impact, rate of fire, stability, reload, equip speed and has actually aim assist, were as UR has none). And the reason for this is more than the range and its stats. It also has to do with how sluggish to handle the weapon is. Aiming, moving, reloading, firing, the fire rate, etc etc. Its all very sluggish and heavy. It feels like a heavy weapon to handle. But it doesn't pack the full punch of a high impact weapon. This said, I still love this weapon.

As for the other two, I've heard plenty of good things about them and having become a fan of pulses in PVP, I'm curious to see your input on the AllFate.

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Week 08: 22 June - 29 June 2015
NA3D1 Salvation State
http://db.planetdest...view/1566869546
Obtained from: Crucible - WHAT !?

I have started using Scout Rifles as my go to primary recently and although I have most of the old ones and some new ones as well, I was super excited the first time I saw this drop for someone on my team.

It took me 20 rounds and loads of heartache but I finally got my own via the end game rewards RNG.

What can I say, I lucked out, rerolled 8 times and got the best current perks for it as well

Perks:
Full Auto

Quickdraw

AP Rounds

Feather Mag
Firefly

More updates to follow as my weeklong quest starts out but I can already tell this is going to be one of my favorite weapons.

Final Update:

I maxed out the Salvation state this week and have to admit to really liking it so much that I was looking forward to switching back to my primary weapon after hitting something at close range with the Shotgun.

It handles slowly, almost like an AA Gun and fires more or elss the same way.

At Full Auto you simply hold down the trigger and "walk" the trigger over what you want to kill.

Loads of fun and if you are partial to the Slower Fire Rate, Higer Impact Scout Rifles, definately a must have

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

I've had tons of those already. My only beef with it with full auto is the stability making it a worse choice vs vision of confluence in PVP and in PVE I feel it doesn't hit hard enough.

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Yeah I've noticed that even with Full Auto I never really fire more than a single shot on most Scouts

Stability is always a big concern for me as I am elderly and have the reflexes of a 96 year old Granny

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

I want a fast ROF scout with full auto and explosive rounds but only one has the stability I want and it has eluded me http://db.planetdest...view/1566869545but I've considered this one http://db.planetdestiny.com/items/view/1873492565 as well. 

Ideally, I'd roll it for

Full Auto

High Calliber Rounds/Explosive Rounds/Handlaid Stock

Firefly or Zen Moment or Hidden Hand.

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

@Scorps

I've got one of those One/One's and they are pretty good

After my stint with it I rerolled it to have the perks I wanted

Full Auto

Oiled Frame and FireFly

It is a good Scout Rifle no doubt, if you like fast firing lower impact models

It is actually a lot like the B Line from Pre HoW

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

I loved my B-Line. Hum... Need to try it out. 

I'm curious about using them in the crucible. A fast fire rate scout I feel might become a good auto rifle. 

LegionaryForce

LegionaryForce

Forum Lieutenant

• 223 posts

Yeah I think Range is probably going to be where it falls short with the default stats being as low as they are

This is a great thread, I love it. (But did I miss it, or did no one really any comment about saying 'range is probably where it all falls short"? I mean, really, how can something like that just sneak past unpoked at?)

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Week 09: 29 June - 06 July 2015
Fang of Ir Yut
http://db.planetdest...view/4252504452
Obtained from: Crota - FINALLY !

I've been trying to get this weapon for the past month or so with weekly runs on both my characters for Crota HM

It finally dropped and I sat there speechless for a bit as this completes my Crota Primaries and finally gives me something that I was looking for despite my ongoing Hate / Hate relationship with the RNG System.

Although I depend heavily on Fatebringer for Arc Burn on a primary I have started using Scout Rifles a lot in PvE content and find myself being optimistic about this week despite the fact that I know at best I will receive another handful of useless junk from any Engrams I happen to decode this week.

Perks:
Spray and Play / Target Mark (Useless Perk for me as everyone will then see that I never hit anything)

High Caliber Rounds

Perfect Balance

Field Scout

Third Eye

More updates to follow as my weeklong quest starts out but I can tell that the Fang and I have the same interests and although it might be too early to say, I'm thinking of proposing

Final Update:

it is hard to know where to start with my final update on the Fang, it has seen me through a lot this week.

After unlocking and upgrading I found that with every passing activity I dreaded the end of the week more and more.

I run it with Perfect Balance and have to admit to exploiting the high stability continiously as I watch it basically shoot ropes of Arc Fuelled Lead at everything that has the misfortune to wind up in the sights.

I would recommend this Weapon to anyone who likes playing with scout rifles and who does not yet have a VOC (I don't so I can't compare at this stage but I've heard that the VOC is marginally better)

I can honestly say that this is one of the weapons that I will keep indefinately and will return to every opportunity I get.

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

Judging from your love of scouts, this is easily one of the best ones out there.  Many people in my clan choose it hands down over other guns, especially in arc burn weeks.  I have a feeling you just found your new best friend.

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

Its the most balanced weapon from the whole Crota Arsenal. It doesn't really shine in any one situation but its very very balanced in stats and perks.

Target Mark is good for PVP where your allies can see that one guy you're aiming at and see where he hid or help you take him down faster. But thats basically the final use for it. Spray and Play is very useful in this weapon.

The 3rd row perks are all very good. You can choose a heavy stagger, near maxed stability or a gigantic magazine. My personal choice is between the last two and I generally tend to go with stability. 

Third Eye might seem like a wasted perk but it isn't. With scouts, you spend more time in ads. Having that awareness to protect you from that one thrall that manages to flank you while you're shooting at the ogres in the middle of the room in POE for example, can be a life changer. 

The final thing I think its well conceived in this weapon, more than in the other 2 primaries I have from crota, are the sights. Abyss defiant, if we forget the fact that its an AR, had everything to work. But its so bulky and occupies a ridiculous amount of the screen. Its sights make it even worse and are not suited for the effective range of the weapon. Word of Crota needed a more visible sight, less bulk. But here with Fang, we get a solid weapon with 3 very strong sights. I tend to use Focus Lens. 

Its not a standout in any single stat vs other scouts. But its so balanced that it makes a very very good weapon. In arc burn scenarios, its a valid choice vs fatebringer. While one has more potencial damage per shot and is simply a superb weapon, the other has an unbeatable range and a per shot damage that is nothing shy of impressive. Addicionally, I find it easier to use than any other arc primary I've tried. I have Timepiece, Fatebringer and Fang and I have tried the oversoul edict on a friends account. I feel the fang is the one with the shorter and lower learning curve of them all. You'll like it ;)

LegionaryForce

LegionaryForce

Forum Lieutenant

• 223 posts

Xero Chance - Weapon of The Week

--------------------------------------
Week 01: 04 May - 11 May 2015
Word of Crota
http://db.planetdest.../view/437329200
Obtained from: Crota's End Hard Mode or The Place of a Million Deaths as my Stats like to refer to it

Update Final:

Unlocked all the upgrade nodes on the weapon and upgraded everything except the final two nodes.

The Word of Crota has grown on me over the past week and I have to admit to being wrong in my first assessment of it.

It is capable of delivering massive damage over a set period of time and has setup options for either ranged play with Hammer Forged or Close Range Combat with Explosive rounds.

* It should be noted that Phantom Gift does not work with Explosive rounds, or at least not in any discernable way.

Overall it is a great Hand Cannon and I would recommend levelling it as soon as you get it to make the most of it.

I used it on Crota's End this weekend to greate effect and with the added bonus damage to Hive Majors I at least contributed despite my level.

I have to say, when I got my first Word, I maxed it out as fast as I could... and then pretty much stopped using it. I agree, on void burns it destroys, and it's good against minotaurs and other hive majors. But other than that (I usually use hammer forged these days, but ran it with explosive rounds for quite a while), I am usually underwhelmed by its performance. I can hit things ok with it, but it just never seems to do enough damage. So yes, I keep it for hive and void runs, but that's about all I use it for. 

Week 09: 29 June - 06 July 2015
Fang of Ir Yut
http://db.planetdest...view/4252504452
Obtained from: Crota - FINALLY !

More updates to follow as my weeklong quest starts out but I can tell that the Fang and I have the same interests and although it might be too early to say, I'm thinking of proposing

That was my reaction when I first got one, and it was a long time coming. I love it and maxed it out as fast as I could. I'm still playing with other weapons to figure out my favorite, but I always have it with me.

Edited by LegionaryForce, 01 July 2015 - 03:58 PM.

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Week 10: 06 July - 13 July 2015
Red Death
http://db.planetdest.../view/135862171
Obtained from: Crota - Deathsinger still owes me for my 110 Deaths at her hands, but this does make up for it somewhat

I feel like this might be a bit of a mixed bag for me at this stage.

One of my goals pre HoW was having the top 3 Pulse Rifles, Bad Juju, Three Little Words and Red Death.

I've since moved on to HC's (Due to RNG only dropping HC's for me for months on end) and Scout Rifles (Long Range HC's)

Perks:
Unflinching

Snapshot
High Caliber Rounds

Single Point Sling

Red Death

I still use my Three Little Words on occasion but I've found that on the higher level activities and without the Etheric to Ascend it, it does not perform as solidly as it once did.

Red Death on the other hand seems to have much of the same limitations and although I've been looking for one for ages I kind of feel underwhelmed after running a few quick patrols with it to get ready for the week.

Sure it bullies low level vandals and laughs in the face of anything that remotely resembles a dreg, but how will it actually perform once I start getting into my normal weekly NF's and Higher Level Weeklies?

time will tell I guess

Stay Tuned for more updates

Final Update:

I've spent the week using Red Death and it is a great pulse rifle, IF, you can get used to the recoil and range offset that it has in comparison to other Pulse Rifles in this class.

It kicks more than Three Little Words but deals a great deal more damage than JUJU, Unfortunately I can't compare it to The Messenger as I don't have it and will probably never have it, but I can see why Red Death is widely used for mid range combat situations.

The signature perk is a nice utility to have I suppose but I never really got myself into a situation where I could easily say that it saved my life as most encounters I am involved in either end in immediate death for me at the hand of some shield bearing 5th Element Alien in a powersuit or prolonged agony as the Wizard I keep missing rips me to shreds with arc blasts :)

Great o have, possibly awesome to ascend, I'll stick to my Scout Rilfes for now thanks

• mrscorps likes this

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

Its my go to weapon in the crucible alongside badjuju. In PVE content I find that it simply doesn't hit hard enough for it to be a solid choice VS a handcannon and the lack of elemental damage makes it more limited in PVE. It still hits relatively hard though.

in comparisson to 3LW, you'll find it more sluggish while in adds.You'll feel as if the weapon is heavier. The recoil is also steeper. But, its still very maneageable. I normally use it with high calliber rounds and the last scope. 

The extoci perk is a god send.

LegionaryForce

LegionaryForce

Forum Lieutenant

• 223 posts

I love my Red Death, especially for Crota's End (for obvious reasons). But I also just like it - good in PVP, and I love the endless healing when clearing a lot of trash.

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Update on Read Death posted

Week 11: 13 July - 20 July 2015
Vision of Confluence
http://db.planetdest...view/2149012811
Obtained from: Atheon - Tincan Finally Dropped one of these for me :)

I've been trying to get this weapon for ages as the only other solar primary I have at the moment is Abyss Defiant and almost anything would be better than that at this stage.

Seems like a well balanced scout rifle and I have to admit to hearing a lot of hype around how good this is.

After my experience with the Fang though I'm sceptical on if this will actually wind up being better.

Perks:
Full Auto (used to be something special but with the constant Rerolls everything scout related is Full auto now)

Single Point Sling

Perfect Balance

Field Scout

Zen Moment

Oracle Disruptor

Final Update:

After my weeklong stint using VOC I can definately agree with all of the hype surrounding this gun.

It handles and works incredibly well, has all the stability I could ever want and lays waste to anything that you may encounter during strikes / raids and the occasional Prison Of Elders Run.

I don't really use Field Scout all too often but the decrease in stability is not too great too handle if anyone should choose to run FS instead of Perfect Balance permanently.

I would definately recommend it to anyone wanting to use Scout Rifles in General as their Primary Weapons

Raid 'till you get it, then Raid until you get another one :)

• Elbows_Of_Doom likes this

Elbows_Of_Doom

Elbows_Of_Doom

Doom Bringer

• 338 posts

Nice one, I love my VoC, even more so now its 365. It was the first legendary weapon I ascended. As scout rifles go this one is definately contender for being the best in the game, on a NF with solar burn it will tear through enemies like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

• LegionaryForce likes this

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

Its as good as Fang if not better. The stability is superb, the sights excellent. Zen Moment works very well in tandem with full auto. Stat wise Fang is a copy of VOC basically. The same ROF/Impact class. VOC has more stability, Fang has more range. Equip speed, reload speeds, etc are all very similar between them. Aim assist is higher in VOC. Default mag size is 15 for fang (can go up to 27 with field scout) and 19 for VOC (can go up to the same 27 with field scout). Interesting is how both have perfect balance and field scout in the middle tier perks. Fang will benefict more from field scout than VOC. VOC excells the more stability it has due to the full auto perk. Fang can more easily control the recoil because it doesn't have full auto so it will benefict more from field scout. 

I love both weapons for PVE content tbh. 

Cheesecake

Cheesecake

Marksman

• 377 posts

This is awesome, need to follow this!

And it makes me want to do the same actually :)

LegionaryForce

LegionaryForce

Forum Lieutenant

• 223 posts

Update on Read Death posted

Week 11: 13 July - 20 July 2015
Vision of Confluence
http://db.planetdest...view/2149012811
Obtained from: Atheon - Tincan Finally Dropped one of these for me :)

I've been trying to get this weapon for ages as the only other solar primary I have at the moment is Abyss Defiant and almost anything would be better than that at this stage.

Seems like a well balanced scout rifle and I have to admit to hearing a lot of hype around how good this is.

After my experience with the Fang though I'm sceptical on if this will actually wind up being better.

Perks:
Full Auto (used to be something special but with the constant Rerolls everything scout related is Full auto now)

Single Point Sling

Perfect Balance

Field Scout

Zen Moment

Oracle Disruptor

Dude, I would give anything to get the loot drops you get. (Yes, I have most of what you've reviewed, but it took me months... you're getting pretty solid stuff every week!)

And yes, VoC is a great scout, and yes, I use it more than my Fang, and yes, I dropped an etheric light on it over upgrading my Fang, and overall, I'm glad I did so. But I think Fang is next.