Xero Chance - Weapon of The Week
I will be incorporating a Weapon of The Week challenge into my weekly Destiny Adventures moving forward in an attempt to maintain my sanity and to live in a state of denial in regards to the RNG System potentially hating me just as much as my Mother in Law does.
What is that I hear?
"But Xero, what do you mean?"
Each week I will surrender to my fate and play with Whatever Primary Weapon Drops for me during the Nightfall.
- Failing a Primary Weapon Drop from that I will play with the First Primary Weapon to Drop for me in either of the two raids.
- Failing a Primary Weapon Drop from that I will play with the First Primary Weapon I receive in a Package.
- Failing a Primary Weapon Drop from that I will play with the First Primary Weapon to Drop for me in any ROC Strike.
- Failing that I wll be playing Super Mario for the week ...
- Failing that I will force purchase whatever Xur is selling that week even if it is No Land Beyond.
- If Xur is off sick I will purchase a Primary from either of the Quartermasters while Blindfolded.
* Only Legendary or Exotic Primary Weapons are to be considered for this challenge.
Each week I will provide feedback via the forum on the weapon from early stages right through to however far I get it upgraded during the week.
I will also be very Vocal in regards to the weapon's shortcomings over Both party Chat and Fireteam Voice Channel should anyone feel the need to receive feedback in realtime.
So if you see me running at a Hive Major with nothing but my un-upgraded No Land Beyond screaming something unintelligible, wave, it might be the last time you see someone that stupid ingame.
* Unintelligible screams normally decode into Afrikaans swearwords strung together so best not to repeat them in public or social spaces.
Week 01: 04 May - 11 May 2015
Word of Crota
Obtained from: Crota's End Hard Mode or The Place of a Million Deaths as my Stats like to refer to it
Initial Thoughts: (Un-Upgraded)
While the Word of Crota may look good on paper and will no doubt add to your overall prestige whilst carrying it around the tower, I am less than impressed so far.
While not upgraded at all the weapon feels difficult to aim accurately, partially due to the size and layout of the specific ingame model but also due to the fact that the green light effects on the side keep distracting me.
Recoil provides a welcome burst of wall killing goodness as the weapon kicks out of control and hits everything around the intended target the second one starts pulling the trigger slightly
faster than an elderly narcoleptic after six doses of flu medication would.
Looking forward to upgrades that improve stability as the recoil is currently the largest detracting factor.
Unlocked and Upgraded the First Two Upgrades (Zen Moment and 1x DMG) along with the two additional Sights
Performance on ROC Strikes is debatable, the weapon does significant damage but is still not really any fun to use :/
* I did find that the overall stability is not the real issue as it seemed at first but that the actual animation of the weapon firing makes it feel like you are suffering from severe borderline seizure like recoil.
If you wait for the crosshair to reset and fire it at a slightly slower pace it seems to be less bothersome.
- I suffered on Phogoth and had to consistenly switch to special and heavy to get the job done.
- Most fun to kill so far has been Goblins, although as a lower tier enemy and quite possibly the only thing I can kill with ease in the entire game this is not much of an achievement
Unlocked and Upgraded Speed Reload and almost finished unlocking the next Damage Node and Hammer Forged
In the Nightfall last night as well as the Weekly Heroic that both happened to have Void Burn active I had loads of fun playing with this weapon.
At one stage it was like it was melting faces off everything in the area on its own.
Damage to Minotaurs with their shields was tremendous and I could literally one shot anything that even looked remotely like a Harpy while Fallen Captains with shields took around 3-4 shots depending on how fast I was running away from them at the time and where my shots landed.
* As mentioned in a previous thread I always run away from Enemies backwards, making me look braver than I actually am.
This weapon might be growing on me ... which basically leads me to believe that once I unlock the Hive Major Damage Perk I will actually be sorry to switch to something else next week
Final Update to come On Monday along with First Impressions on the Weapon I will be using for next week, the seemingly innocent and non lethal looking Venation III, which may or may not fire flaming marshmellows instead of lethal ammunition
Unlocked all the upgrade nodes on the weapon and upgraded everything except the final two nodes.
The Word of Crota has grown on me over the past week and I have to admit to being wrong in my first assessment of it.
It is capable of delivering massive damage over a set period of time and has setup options for either ranged play with Hammer Forged or Close Range Combat with Explosive rounds.
* It should be noted that Phantom Gift does not work with Explosive rounds, or at least not in any discernable way.
Overall it is a great Hand Cannon and I would recommend levelling it as soon as you get it to make the most of it.
I used it on Crota's End this weekend to greate effect and with the added bonus damage to Hive Majors I at least contributed despite my level.
Edited by Xero, 11 May 2015 - 02:24 AM.