• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Xero Chance - Weapon of The Week

Guardians:
I will be incorporating a Weapon of The Week challenge into my weekly Destiny Adventures moving forward in an attempt to maintain my sanity and to live in a state of denial in regards to the RNG System potentially hating me just as much as my Mother in Law does.

What is that I hear?
"But Xero, what do you mean?"

Each week I will surrender to my fate and play with Whatever Primary Weapon Drops for me during the Nightfall.
- Failing a Primary Weapon Drop from that I will play with the First Primary Weapon to Drop for me in either of the two raids.
- Failing a Primary Weapon Drop from that I will play with the First Primary Weapon I receive in a Package.
- Failing a Primary Weapon Drop from that I will play with the First Primary Weapon to Drop for me in any ROC Strike.
- Failing that I wll be playing Super Mario for the week ...
- Failing that I will force purchase whatever Xur is selling that week even if it is No Land Beyond.
- If Xur is off sick I will purchase a Primary from either of the Quartermasters while Blindfolded.

* Only Legendary or Exotic Primary Weapons are to be considered for this challenge.

Each week I will provide feedback via the forum on the weapon from early stages right through to however far I get it upgraded during the week.
I will also be very Vocal in regards to the weapon's shortcomings over Both party Chat and Fireteam Voice Channel should anyone feel the need to receive feedback in realtime.

So if you see me running at a Hive Major with nothing but my un-upgraded No Land Beyond screaming something unintelligible, wave, it might be the last time you see someone that stupid ingame.
* Unintelligible screams normally decode into Afrikaans swearwords strung together so best not to repeat them in public or social spaces.

--------------------------------------
Week 01: 04 May - 11 May 2015
Word of Crota
http://db.planetdest.../view/437329200
Obtained from: Crota's End Hard Mode or The Place of a Million Deaths as my Stats like to refer to it

Initial Thoughts: (Un-Upgraded)

While the Word of Crota may look good on paper and will no doubt add to your overall prestige whilst carrying it around the tower, I am less than impressed so far.
While not upgraded at all the weapon feels difficult to aim accurately, partially due to the size and layout of the specific ingame model but also due to the fact that the green light effects on the side keep distracting me.

Recoil provides a welcome burst of wall killing goodness as the weapon kicks out of control and hits everything around the intended target the second one starts pulling the trigger slightly
faster than an elderly narcoleptic after six doses of flu medication would.

Looking forward to upgrades that improve stability as the recoil is currently the largest detracting factor.

Update 01:

Unlocked and Upgraded the First Two Upgrades (Zen Moment and 1x DMG) along with the two additional Sights

Performance on ROC Strikes is debatable, the weapon does significant damage but is still not really any fun to use :/

* I did find that the overall stability is not the real issue as it seemed at first but that the actual animation of the weapon firing makes it feel like you are suffering from severe borderline seizure like recoil.

If you wait for the crosshair to reset and fire it at a slightly slower pace it seems to be less bothersome.

- I suffered on Phogoth and had to consistenly switch to special and heavy to get the job done.

https://www.bungie.n...843009274659066

- Most fun to kill so far has been Goblins, although as a lower tier enemy and quite possibly the only thing I can kill with ease in the entire game this is not much of an achievement

Update 02:

Unlocked and Upgraded Speed Reload and almost finished unlocking the next Damage Node and Hammer Forged

In the Nightfall last night as well as the Weekly Heroic that both happened to have Void Burn active I had loads of fun playing with this weapon.

At one stage it was like it was melting faces off everything in the area on its own.

Damage to Minotaurs with their shields was tremendous and I could literally one shot anything that even looked remotely like a Harpy while Fallen Captains with shields took around 3-4 shots depending on how fast I was running away from them at the time and where my shots landed.

* As mentioned in a previous thread I always run away from Enemies backwards, making me look braver than I actually am.

This weapon might be growing on me ... which basically leads me to believe that once I unlock the Hive Major Damage Perk I will actually be sorry to switch to something else next week :)

Final Update to come On Monday along with First Impressions on the Weapon I will be using for next week, the seemingly innocent and non lethal looking Venation III, which may or may not fire flaming marshmellows instead of lethal ammunition

Update Final:

Unlocked all the upgrade nodes on the weapon and upgraded everything except the final two nodes.

The Word of Crota has grown on me over the past week and I have to admit to being wrong in my first assessment of it.

It is capable of delivering massive damage over a set period of time and has setup options for either ranged play with Hammer Forged or Close Range Combat with Explosive rounds.

* It should be noted that Phantom Gift does not work with Explosive rounds, or at least not in any discernable way.

Overall it is a great Hand Cannon and I would recommend levelling it as soon as you get it to make the most of it.

I used it on Crota's End this weekend to greate effect and with the added bonus damage to Hive Majors I at least contributed despite my level.

Edited by Xero, 11 May 2015 - 02:24 AM.

• Ryka Varad, Vipertec, Chris M. and 4 others like this

Lokhe

Lokhe

Bird-powered Viking

• 2495 posts

This should be interesting...

587d1cb5298b91596d05980c5ccb35cdd3b40501

• Vipertec, Chris M., Cheesecake and 2 others like this

Chris M.

Chris M.

Forum Sergeant

• 127 posts

Agree with @Lokhe, sounds interesting.  Pass the popcorn will ya?

• Lokhe likes this

MoundLicker

MoundLicker

Forum Lieutenant

• 280 posts

Hmmm...now this does sound like something interesting. 

• ReaperFox likes this

Vipertec

Vipertec

Forum General

• 4156 posts

This is going to be good !!!

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Word of Crota Update has been edited in, still not having a whole lot of fun with it BUT it may actually have slightly more potential than I had originally suspected.

At least it is good at killing low tier adds :)

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

I look forward to joining you and hearing the rage fest ensue!

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Update 02 Edited in.

I have to admit to actualyl kind of starting to like the weapon, doing 1447 damage on a Tier One Enemy with Void Burn active may have a lot to do with this newfound fondness though

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

Noice! You should stream some of this so we can watch your struggle. I bet you'll eventually get a Payback SOS in a nightfall.... LOL

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

what were your perks on the Venation III?

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Week 02: 11 May - 18 May 2015
Venation III
http://db.planetdest...view/3982555097
Obtained from: Weekly Nightfall OR That Time I almost Survived as my Stats would refer to it

The Venation III that dropped for me during the Weekly Nightfall seems to have some potential.
High Impact is offset by the lower end range value though, so I might wind up with a strange perk setup if I aim to get decent use out of it instead of my normal perks that generally favour stability over everything else.

Available Perks Are:
Spray and Play - Should help alleviate the 8 round magazine concern I have (When you miss as frequently as I do you need dem bullets !)

Perfect Balance - Seems that with the Additional Stability provided this would max out the stability on the weapon
Single Point Sling
Send It

Grenadier - Nothing is better than having your Nades charge faster if you are useless at firing your weapons at something.

More Updates to follow as I start my weeklong journey upgrading this weapon.

Update Final:

Unlocked some of the perk slots for this weapon but to be honest the Venation III is really good at one thing and one thing only, making you play with your Special and Heavy weapons more often.

At times the sheer frustration of the severe range limitation had me resorting to using my MG a lot more often than I usually do.

I used this HC on both of the raids and while admittedly I had a much easier time killing Thrall on Crota Normal than anything else it still left me feeling vulnerable.

Using the Venation III on VOG this weekend had me feeling like I was making less of a contribution to my team than I should have as I spammed bullets that simply either did not hit anything or gave everything it hit nothing more than a mild headache.

Overall I am unimpressed with the weapon in general although some players may find it just what they are looking for in the absence of either a FateBringer, Word of Crota, Hawkmoon or Rubber Band to play with.

* Side Note - I am glad this week is over :)

Lokhe

Lokhe

Bird-powered Viking

• 2495 posts

Venation III has a pretty high aim assist of 83 but I guess it couldn't hurt to bump that up even more and add some range to boot with Send It :)

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Yeah I think Range is probably going to be where it falls short with the default stats being as low as they are

mrscorps

mrscorps

Forum Major

• 826 posts

I had one but found that Red Hand IX was better and mine had horrible perks. Its still probably the most stable of the legendary handcannons and the one that is easier to handle (which is to say its fast to aim and move while adds and fast to reload).  

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

For support, I can vouch... I ran Crota Hard with Xero the other day and he is sticking to his word.  Used that Venation III for the entire time I was with him!!

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Week 03: 18 May - 25 May 2015
Suros Regime
http://db.planetdest.../view/119482465
Obtained from: Crota Normal (Deathsinger) - or The place where many Xero's are now buried as history will one day refer to it.

I played most of the first story play through using only an Auto Rifle and was looking forward to obtaining the "legendary" Suros since before I purchased the game.

All of this changed with the AR Nerf Patch, I abandoned playing with AR's in favour of their now stronger counterpart Pulse Rifles.

Now, with a week of using the Suros ahead of me I'm hoping that I'll rediscover some of my past love for this subclass of primary weapon and make peace with the fact that no longer are AR's the undisputed best weapons to use for my specific play style.

Perks:
Focused Fire

High Caliber Rounds

Hammer Forged - Probably the perk I'll be using

Lightweight

Suros Regime

More Updates to follow as I start my weeklong journey upgrading this weapon.

Update Final:

Well I finished my weeklong return to AR's and I have to say I have some mixed feelings about this weapon Type.

As we all know AR's were severely nerfed with one of the Bungie patches and as such hit with all the force of a pillowcase stuffed with cotton candy, that said though the Suros was still a load of fun to use and performed well under a number of challenging circumstances.

I played Prison of Elders with it and although I was openly asked if I was seriously considering actually using it for the duration of the activity I managed to perform quite well with it. (Although damage against majors was so dismal that I switched to my shotgun / sniper rifle regularly.)

The Suros never let me down when dealing with ads though and I am confident in my opinion that nothing kills a Thrall quite as well as this AR :)

My final thought on the Suros is that when upgraded and once you have looked past the difficulty with hitting anything at ranges greater than the length of an arm, it is a very well balanced weapon and will perform well against lower tier enemies in PvE.

Lokhe

Lokhe

Bird-powered Viking

• 2495 posts

Week 03: 18 May - 25 May 2015
Suros Regime
http://db.planetdest...view/3982555097
Obtained from: Crota Normal (Deathsinger) - or The place where many Xero's are now buried as history will one day refer to it..

Not an entirely catastrophic turn out I'd say :)

marckdwesthk

marckdwesthk

Fake Asian Yo

• 740 posts

As the words of Mr Fruit, the SAD Regime maxresdefault.jpg

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Week 04: 25 May - 01 June 2015
Red Hand IX
http://db.planetdest...view/3259091099
Obtained from: NightFall (Archon Priest)- or “Really ? Not That Guy Again …”

So …. My luck with RNG continues and I receive yet another HC

This time however it is one of the better ones I’ve gotten from a drop as it is the pre HOW version of Red Hand IX (I was asked by Lokhe about this and yes it is the one with the Grey Detailing)

I’ve heard many good things about it so I’m cautiously optimistic about using it for the  coming week.

Perks:
Zen Moment

High Caliber Rounds

Flared Magwell

Field Scout

Luck in The Chamber

More updates to follow as my weeklong quest starts out with me walking around making pew pew noises on Venus for a bit tonight.

Update Final:

After a Week with the Red Hand I have to say that I can see why everyone recommends it as one of the best HC's from vendors

It plays incredibly well and even though I don't have the standard perks on mine I'm sure that even with the standard perks it will perform well in anything PvE related.

Plus of course there is the opportunity now to reforge it to be something truly unique and tailormade to your own specific playstyle.

I played everything using it this past week and even on the Raids I did it never let me down

I would definately recommend picking one of these up if you are looking at polaying with HC's

• Lokhe and mrscorps like this

Xero

Xero

Forum Lieutenant

• 165 posts

Week 05: 01 June - 08 June 2015
Universal Remote
http://db.planetdest...view/1389842217
Obtained from: NightFall

So …. his is going to be one super challenging week.

How on earth do I ... How can I even .... just sigh, I actually feel like crying

Perks:
Crowd Control

Hammer Forged

Lightweight

Snapshot

Universal Remote

More updates to follow as my weeklong quest starts out with me generally making excuses why I can't really play anything except for maybe some patrols this week

Update Final:

So ... Where to start

Universal is loads of fun to play with, I've never jumped, slid and sprinted so much in my life and gearing up my Titan with Shields while sprinting made me feel like a tank for a bit.

That said though, it is very limited in terms of usage expecially for higher end activities.

You'll find yourself relying on your Special and Heavy weapons not only for the pure destruction you will need to cause with them but also because you will be out of ammo more often than not on your primary :)

Final thought is that while fun to use and awesome in terms of what it allows you to do, Universal will forever remain a rather niche weapon that is only taken form the vault and dusted off for special occasions or when playing whilst intoxicated.

• mrscorps likes this

Berserkquatch

Berserkquatch

Inside Joke Historian

• 369 posts

Week 05: 01 June - 08 June 2015
Universal Remote
http://db.planetdest...view/1389842217
Obtained from: NightFall

So …. his is going to be one super challenging week.

How on earth do I ... How can I even .... just sigh, I actually feel like crying

Perks:
Crowd Control

Hammer Forged

Lightweight

Snapshot

universal Remote

More updates to follow as my weeklong quest starts out with me generally making excuses why I can't really play anything except for maybe some patrols this week

don't underestimate this weapon man.... it's my absolute favorite exotic....

you can drop sunsingers, and blade dancers with a single headshot.

favorite combo is titan bubble with weapons of light, and pop out at people instead of letting them come to you. the 1shot range is insane

PvE i run it with vestian dynasty for some extra reach when i need it, pvp i usually run with a sniper, or fusion

I may just be a huge shotty fanboy though....

• Ryka Varad likes this

the_co_founder

the_co_founder

Forum Captain

• 528 posts

Have had one for a while, never upgraded it.  Looking forward to this one

daoneandonly

daoneandonly

New Blood

• 8 posts

Universal remote? You poor, poor thing. If anything has light-switch you are gonna be in for a "fun" time.

Lil'Ubo

Lil'Ubo

Forum Admiral

• 6647 posts

I CAN'T WAIT FOR NO LAND BEYOND WEEK! YOUR TEARS AND CRIES FOR MERCY WILL GO UNHEARD!!! GUAHAHAHAHAHA

:P

• Ryka Varad likes this

navidee

navidee

Forum Major

• 801 posts

Oh boy...as much as I hate to admit it, I sharded this sucker within a week of getting it. I didn't like it (not much of a shotgun guy in destiny) and figured I could better use the shard to level a exotic. Not my best moment as I'm sure its fun in crucible.