Photo

Seven Seraphs - Mystery Solved?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

444Divergent

444Divergent

New Blood

• 1 posts
tSo far, the only Destiny faction we have relatively no info on is the Seven Seraphs. However, I have managed to find some information relating to their beliefs and origins, if you'll humor me.
Hi everybody, user 444Divergent here. I've noticed that all five original factions (Dead Orbit, Future War Cult, New Monarchy, Trials of Osiris, Seven Seraphs) have been implemented in the game except for one: the Seven Seraphs. I've done some research, and I think I might have figured out who the Seven Seraphs are and what their mission is. I'd like to hear any feedback you might have, good or bad (although it goes without saying to be nice about it), especially if it's a theory you have about the Seven Seraphs or related material.

It is my belief that the Seraphs were Warminds who were deactivated in the Collapse, and the faction Seven Seraphs wishes to revive them.

Exhibit A - In the level Siege of the Warmind, Rasputin sheltered in an area called the Seraphim Vault. It makes sense that Rasputin, a Warmind, would continue his campaign against the Darkness from a place that was created and defended by an old Warmind.

Exhibit B - The word Seraph means "an angelic being, regarded in traditional Christian angelology as belonging to the highest order of the ninefold celestial hierarchy, associated with light, ardor, and purity" (Wikipedia) What's more, the Destiny symbol for the Seven Seraphs is a wing, and the Christian Seraphs have wings.

Exhibit C - The word Seraph is not the only evidence of Christianity in the faction: Seven is the so-called "sacred number" in the Bible and is the holiest of all numbers.

Exhibit D - Not only is the word Seraph present in Christianity, it is an island in Greek Mythology which Odysseus landed on during the Odyssey.

Exhibit E - The previously known Warminds were all important figures: Rasputin was a healer for the Romanovs and Charlemagne was a powerful King in medieval Europe. The Seraphs, being revered angelic beings, would also be important in several religions.

Possible Additional Evidence - During the American Revolution, only one sea battle took place, and it was won by the Continental army. The British ship that was captured during the battle was called the Seraphis. It is unclear how or if this relates to the Seven Seraphs faction, but new information may shed light on the topic.

Conclusive Speculation - The Seven Seraphs is a faction devoted to awakening the Seraph warminds that fell during the collapse. The Seven Seraphs chose their name as a Christianity-influenced match of sacred numbers and angelic beings in order to ward off any evil that might attempt to stop them in their quest to revive the fallen Warmind. Rasputin chose to hide in the Seraphim Vault because it had proved strong enough for the Seraphs to hide in before their possible destruction. 

What's more, I might have the slightest lead on the release of the Seven Seraphs as a faction in an upcoming DLC. I know it's not much to go on, but if the Trials of Osiris faction was released in the House of Wolves DLC, why not another faction in another DLC? The upcoming expansion pack will be called Plague of Darkness, and there is a lot of plagues in the Bible (10 of them). Again it's not much to go on, but it just might be something.

I hope I didn't bore you all with my theory, and I would like to hear feedback. Again please be nice when giving critique. Keep your guns polished, Guardians!

444Divergent

Relation to Plague of Darkness DLC: The House of Wolves DLC introduced the Trials of Osiris as a new faction, so maybe the next DLC, Plague of Darkness, will introduce the Seven Seraphs faction. The keyword here is Plague, another important element of Christian folklore.S

• iTisnado likes this

Hydroxies

Hydroxies

Recruit

• 16 posts

Good read. Thanks

marckdwesthk

marckdwesthk

Fake Asian Yo

• 740 posts

Very interesting ideas, I enjoyed it very much, keep up the good work guardian.

Lokhe

Lokhe

Bird-powered Viking

• 2495 posts

Interesting. Symbolism isn't usually obtuse to the extreme in games like this. I think it might definitely be something like this. If not a faction devoted to their restoration, perhaps even the Warminds themselves.

There is an interesting passage on what transpired on Mars the moment the Guardians reactivated the last array and fully restored Rasputin. What is described could easily be called "divine intervention".

"Then dawn light, a terrible dawn. The sky opens up to admit devastation, thrown down from orbit. Minotaurs fall, burnt and broken with their fluids boiling out. Cabal guns detonate in thunderous chains, as tiny piercing flichettes fall from the sky to find their ammunition bunkers. Everything stops."

Cool theories :)

(This thread is definitely in the wrong sub-forum though!)

rdstang

rdstang

Forum Sergeant

• 63 posts

I have an Iron Banner ship called "The Seraphim Toaster " Quote is "Angels are a navigational hazard."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Any: