Photo

Theories on Oryx

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

DBMgamer

DBMgamer

Forum Lieutenant

• 206 posts

By this point most of you know I'm not a typical Youtuber. I thrive on the comments you guys make. This video actually sprung from a conversation that I had with one of my subscribers. He actually contributed to the creation of this video, so a major Shout out to Raza Rizal.

Master Rahool actually said "Research into the cyphers and runes of the Hive leads the Cryptarchs to believe the Hive sects all serve one great master." But its not Crota as you may assume. It is Oryx. Now by this point you have probably done all of the missions on the moon and smashed the Shrine of Oryx a time or two. In that particular mission the Hive were communicating with something far off. If you caught my Story of Toland video Toland stated that the Hive exist in another dimension. So the far off is just the tip of the Iceberg.

The Hive have been conquering worlds for a long time. In the Mission the Worlds Grave you get a small hint as to how long. The Hive keep a database of all the worlds they have overrun. I'm sure you've chuckled at the "They've Broken the Bekenstien limit!" quote from Dinklebot. Well let me explain what that means. The Bekenstien Limit is the upper limit of information that can be contained within a given finite region of space which has a finite amount of energy—or conversely, the maximum amount of information required to perfectly describe a given physical system down to the quantum level. The Bekenstein boundary which is more relatable in this scenario, is a computationally-derived limit that specifies the theoretical maximum amount of data that could stored in a physical space, and it is something that we will never approach with current technology, which is why it is often talked about in quantum computing circles, computer theory courses, and physics. Where it gets a little more mind-bending is how you would "break" the limit. You would actually need to work around the known laws of physics. Now one of those possible workarounds involve phase shifting atoms between parallel universes. So, basically, at any given time, parts of the physical media would exist in this universe, while other parts would be stored in a parallel universe, only to be shifted in and out, as needed, or you have the Technology to simply break the laws of Physics.

There are whispers of shrines to the fabled Oryx peppered across the entire system. Only he is no Fable. There are many different sects such as the Blood of Oryx, and Hive majors like Sardok, the Eyes of Oryx dedicated to him. For Oryx to be so ingrained into the Hive and with as many worlds as the Hive have taken Oryx would have to be an Ancient member of the Hive ranks. Depending on how long the Hive have been existence he may even be Primordial, dating back possibly before the first beginnings of life on Earth.

In the description of Crux of Crota it makes a reference to the Osmium Throne that Crota son of Oryx was heir to. It is a hard, brittle, bluish-white transition metal in the platinum group that is found as a trace element in alloys, mostly in platinum ores. Osmium remains lustrous even at high temperatures. It has a very low compressibility. Correspondingly, its Density is extremely high rivaling that of diamond. Because of its hardness, brittleness, low vapor pressure (the lowest of the platinum group metals), and very high melting point the fourth highest of all elements, solid osmium is difficult to machine, work or even form.

1115px-Osmium_cluster.jpg

Osmium once you take it through a few chemical process actually gives of a Toxic gas and even has a greenish tone to it, seem familiar?

Osmium_Tetroxide.jpg

One would have to assume that the Hive value Osmium to create their God King's throne from it, much in the same way our own ancient civilizations did. It was a common practice to see Kings from Egyptian civilizations all the way to Kings of Europe to have Thrones made of Gold. If you want to give of the Presence of Power you make your seat from the valuable thing available.

tutl57.jpg

In the Ritual of Sacrifice Quest you are to destroy 2 Ogres known as the Forsaken. Why? Because if you don't The Hive plan to make them Ritual Sacrifices to contact Oryx. Toland had stated they serve but one purpose, to die.

How does one call through the Darkness? Through the void of the eternal night sky? Through the pathways that link the Hive to their ancient, rotting deities? With suffering. The Forsaken are conjured and birthed through ritual, meant to serve as worship to gods of a higher plane of misery. To perform a ritual of sacrifice is to tempt a god's hunger. What then, if a being of the Light were to taint such a ritual? Would the Hive be punished? Would their gods grow angry?

The Crucible map known as the Cauldron is actually one such site for Ritual Sacrifices. Now secured and maintained by the Crucible, scheduled study of it’s remnants suggest a sacrificial purpose—where other forms of life were given an audience with the reigning monarch and judged before the power of the Darkness. If you're randomly running around on Earth by the Skywatch, occasionally you bump into Urzok, The Hated. The sword he wields is slightly different than every other hive knight you'll encounter. His role is that of the Executioner of those that the Wizards deemed Forsaken.

At one such site Toland the Warlock had an incident that gives even more incite. Four sounds, oft repeated, but only four. Though I am on the trail of a fifth, faintly heard from the buzz that once spilled from the Shrine—

Eir.

Ur.

Xol.

Yul.

It is in these sounds that I fear yet another Hive secret hides. Perhaps beyond their gods, perhaps in accord with them. Perhaps these are just Hive translations of worlds we call another name, but I believe above all things they call to some kind of being. Beings that once lived, or still live somewhere buried amongst us. Beings the Hive perhaps owe their very existence to. Its no secret that Toland believed that the Hive were the pinnacle of evolution. If Crota was but a young spawn to the ancient Hive gods then Eir, Ur, Xol and Yul must be some of the Pantheon of the Hive gods. All of these gods have one that is more ancient than they were. Something seemingly the source that they owe their existence to.

I said before the Launch of Destiny that the Hive have the Strongest Connection to the Darkness. When a wizard is firing Arc shots at you Bungie had stated that Wizards draw their power directly from the darkness. The Hive have great hatred for the Light, and to them, the eternal struggle between light and dark is not only a war, it is a crusade; all Light must be devoured so Darkness can reclaim the universe. If Oryx is possibly the beginning of the Hive and truly the one who has Orchestrated the Hive to destroy countless worlds, you would almost wonder.... is Oryx THE Darkness? Food for Thought ladies and gentleman. If he is not then he most certainly is very, very closely related to it.

• Supwichu, MasterZimmy, abstrakt42 and 4 others like this

Lokhe

Lokhe

Bird-powered Viking

• 2495 posts

Awesome post! Not only do you learn more about the story, there's also some quantum physics and chemistry in there, very multifaceted! 

Sometimes I like to think that the writers at Bungie wrote the outlines of a story and fleshed it out in what is Destiny the game. Now they browse offshoot forums, Reddit and YouTube for posts like these and go "Man, that's amazing, let's put that in". In all seriousness though, there is so much quality time and thought put into this by people like yourself, that they could probably do just that haha.

• DBMgamer likes this

Miles_A

Miles_A

Recruit

• 12 posts

amazing post. great thoughts there. all Your time and energy is definitely appreciated man. such a great read.

Edited by Miles_A, 17 April 2015 - 10:57 PM.

• DBMgamer likes this

MrMaGiK86

MrMaGiK86

Forum Lieutenant

• 353 posts

Man,this was awesome to read :) if you have more info you should bundle it all, i would sure as hell read it and i think many more of us guardians!

Insolentploebe

Insolentploebe

Forum Major

• 774 posts

I agree great post.
  • DBMgamer likes this

DBMgamer

DBMgamer

Forum Lieutenant

• 206 posts

Man,this was awesome to read :) if you have more info you should bundle it all, i would sure as hell read it and i think many more of us guardians!

Well this is what I put on my Youtube Channel.  So there are alot more like this one.  Glad to see you liked it :-)

Awesome post! Not only do you learn more about the story, there's also some quantum physics and chemistry in there, very multifaceted! 

Sometimes I like to think that the writers at Bungie wrote the outlines of a story and fleshed it out in what is Destiny the game. Now they browse offshoot forums, Reddit and YouTube for posts like these and go "Man, that's amazing, let's put that in". In all seriousness though, there is so much quality time and thought put into this by people like yourself, that they could probably do just that haha.

Thats an awesome Comment, I really appreciate you not only taking the time to check out but throw in "Bungie should just do this".  That is High Praise in my book

• Lokhe likes this

Lil'Ubo

Lil'Ubo

Forum Admiral

• 6635 posts

Who's has two thumbs and got his mind blown? This guy!

Adapt

Adapt

Recruit

• 20 posts
DBM you are da shit man love ur lure video man mainly DredgenYor n The guy who wilded The Last Word forget name

AnfieldRoad17

AnfieldRoad17

Recruit

• 13 posts

Interesting stuff for sure. The thing that jumps out at me is the landscape of the Shrine of Oryx mission. If Oryx is truly a hive entity wouldn't his shrine resemble the lunar underground a bit more? Instead we get an onyx colored, glossy, polished surface. The hallway leading up to the entrance has large pipes or cords on the ground, with a pristine, lustrous glow. The walls pulsate with bluish light. This contrasts pretty heavily with the jagged, worn, dark, and fungal looking subterranean fortress on the moon. Even Crota's dimension is created in this same theme. Why is Oryx's shrine so different?

If you look at some of the early concept art, there are some pictures which show a race I believe we haven't encountered yet (I've attached pics). The ships could be Cabal, but they don't resemble in any way the Cabal Harvester or Warship. As for the picture with the distant structure, again it resembles nothing like we've seen thus far. It had similar geometry to the smoothe curves in Oryx's shrine. Finally, the third picture (says file is too big so I can't upload it - here's the link though: http://www.destructo...el-249945.phtml ) with the hanging cylinders is almost identical to Oryx's shrine. The orange lights and the onyx colored glossy metal are a perfect match. Although the chains do harken back to Hive scenery, nothing else in the picture resembles anything close to Hive structures.

TLDR: Oryx's shrine does not look like a shrine to a Hive God. Could it be, as the OP suggests, that Oryx is actually THE Darkness itself? Just some supporting evidence. It's a mystery only Giorgio A. Tsoukalos could get to the bottom of.

Attached Files

Edited by AnfieldRoad17, 18 April 2015 - 12:00 AM.

DBMgamer

DBMgamer

Forum Lieutenant

• 206 posts

Interesting stuff for sure. The thing that jumps out at me is the landscape of the Shrine of Oryx mission. If Oryx is truly a hive entity wouldn't his shrine resemble the lunar underground a bit more? Instead we get an onyx colored, glossy, polished surface. The hallway leading up to the entrance has large pipes or cords on the ground, with a pristine, lustrous glow. The walls pulsate with bluish light. This contrasts pretty heavily with the jagged, worn, dark, and fungal looking subterranean fortress on the moon. Even Crota's dimension is created in this same theme. Why is Oryx's shrine so different?

If you look at some of the early concept art, there are some pictures which show a race I believe we haven't encountered yet (I've attached pics). The ships could be Cabal, but they don't resemble in any way the Cabal Harvester or Warship. As for the picture with the distant structure, again it resembles nothing like we've seen thus far. It had similar geometry to the smoothe curves in Oryx's shrine. Finally, the third picture (says file is too big so I can't upload it - here's the link though: http://www.destructo...el-249945.phtml ) with the hanging cylinders is almost identical to Oryx's shrine. The orange lights and the onyx colored glossy metal are a perfect match. Although the chains do harken back to Hive scenery, nothing else in the picture resembles anything close to Hive structures.

TLDR: Oryx's shrine does not look like a shrine to a Hive God. Could it be, as the OP suggests, that Oryx is actually THE Darkness itself? Just some supporting evidence. It's a mystery only Giorgio A. Tsoukalos could get to the bottom of.

To Long didn't read?  Thats what the video is for  ;)

AnfieldRoad17

AnfieldRoad17

Recruit

• 13 posts

Haha well that was a TLDR for my post, not yours. Video is great by the way. I guess along the lines of this conversation, my next question is, do you think we'll ever encounter The Darkness as a race itself? Or do you think it's a single entity? The early concept art seems to suggest they planned it as an addition race.

DBMgamer

DBMgamer

Forum Lieutenant

• 206 posts

Haha well that was a TLDR for my post, not yours. Video is great by the way. I guess along the lines of this conversation, my next question is, do you think we'll ever encounter The Darkness as a race itself? Or do you think it's a single entity? The early concept art seems to suggest they planned it as an addition race.

Its an oddity.  When Bungie was planning out Destiny they had in Mind to do 5 enemy races.  I did do an article on the Darkness but not a video.  I originally thought they where a noncorporeal being.  But there is no evidience of them anywhere in the game.  I had thought that the Darkness was like the Darkside of Force (Star Wars) and in Star Wars they always talk about a balance of the force.  I've seen multiple instances the Balance of Light and Dark in Destiny.  Hive are to destroy all light so that Darkness has nothing to stop it.  The speaker has said something like when Darkness recedes the Light flourishes.

darkness.jpg

In the end I still want there to be a race of "The Darkness".  A crazy off the Wall theory is this.  The Hive had a shard of the Traveler.  The Vex had "The Heart of Darkness".  What if they are the same.  What if there is a Dark Traveler and the Vex had a small piece of it.  What if the non-corporeal creatures are just the "Ghost" of the darkness?  like I said its crazy but thats how this game rolls.

Insolentploebe

Insolentploebe

Forum Major

• 774 posts

I was noticing the same thing about the shrine of Oryx mission. The whole structure is markedly different from everything else, as is the final Boss. He doesn't have any "necro" look about him at all. Makes one wonder if Crota just has a thing for that style that none of the other Hive hierarchy have.

DBMgamer

DBMgamer

Forum Lieutenant

• 206 posts

I was noticing the same thing about the shrine of Oryx mission. The whole structure is markedly different from everything else, as is the final Boss. He doesn't have any "necro" look about him at all. Makes one wonder if Crota just has a thing for that style that none of the other Hive hierarchy have.

Makes sense, They probably could make themselves look however they want.

ReaperFox

ReaperFox

Forum Sergeant

• 127 posts

Mind = Blown . Great writers make the world a better place. Great analysis man. Thank you!

• DBMgamer likes this

AnfieldRoad17

AnfieldRoad17

Recruit

• 13 posts

Its an oddity. When Bungie was planning out Destiny they had in Mind to do 5 enemy races. I did do an article on the Darkness but not a video. I originally thought they where a noncorporeal being. But there is no evidience of them anywhere in the game. I had thought that the Darkness was like the Darkside of Force (Star Wars) and in Star Wars they always talk about a balance of the force. I've seen multiple instances the Balance of Light and Dark in Destiny. Hive are to destroy all light so that Darkness has nothing to stop it. The speaker has said something like when Darkness recedes the Light flourishes.

darkness.jpg

In the end I still want there to be a race of "The Darkness". A crazy off the Wall theory is this. The Hive had a shard of the Traveler. The Vex had "The Heart of Darkness". What if they are the same. What if there is a Dark Traveler and the Vex had a small piece of it. What if the non-corporeal creatures are just the "Ghost" of the darkness? like I said its crazy but thats how this game rolls.

The artistic potential by making it/them an actual race is limitless, IMO. The idea of a race of aliens that embody ruthlessness and natural selection (I hesitate to call it "evil" after Osiris' 3 queens allegory) is so exciting. Then again you're talking to a fan of the Souls games. Dark fantasy and dark science fiction are my favorites.