Photo

Queen's Wrath. Potential fixes?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Xerkxes

Xerkxes

Forum Captain

• 485 posts

Many complain that there isn't enough PvE events in the game and that Bungie focuses too much on the PvP. There was only one PvE, it kind of sucked, so Bungie took it back to think on it later.

Now, They've said they'll put it back out eventually. Now I want to discuss some easy fixes that could bring back some relevance to the event.

It was taken out because If it was re-released as it was back then, just with up to date gear (33 light armor and 331 attack weapons), it's relevance would be minimal.

Fixes to the rewards

The Armor:
Amor it provides would be a waste of time, you can't shard them for anything, and it's only strictly inferior to Iron Banner or Crota's End gear.
To fix this, it could do what Iron Banner does, and over time and with every release of the event, make one or two pieces of the gear light 36 (or whatever the cap is at the time). Also theme the armor's perks around Hand Cannons, Pulses Rifles and Snipers to oppose the Iron Banners armor's weapon perks. But considering armor as was dropped with every missive, maybe move the "cap" gear to the vendor and have it sold based on reputation and the expected insane amount of glimmer, much like the Iron Banner.

The weapon: there's nothing wrong with the weapon(s? I only remember sniper, which my roll of it was fucking fantastic at the time), as long as they're updated for 331 attack, this could be a reason to try out for them. If they add a few more themed weapons, this could make it worth it all on it's own.

Aesthetics: Queen's gear is themed with the gold and purple colours, as well as her insignia. Some people like matching gear with matching weapons. Nothing here needs to change.

---

Some possible fixes to the actual event:

The fixes I'm going to suggest are low effort and recycled mechanics sorts of deals. Things that use existing resources and whatnot. While it would be nice to have some extravagant completely new activities, I don't expect anything "New" from bungie at this point.

The even itself is boring. Not like Iron Banner does anything meaningful to change up the game either other than some fantastic gear, but lets talk about stuff they can do to fix the event.
As it was, you got bounties that isn't all too unlike other bounties other than their specific targets.
You complete a bounty and get a missive.
The Missive allows you to play a lv 24 version of specific story missions with the Epic Modifier on.

What can we suggest to fix stuff like this?

Add a "new" target to the missive.
Remember how the Thorn Bounty had a special wizard enemy that would appear in a special version of the summoning pits strike? why not make the Queen's target like this?
And that can even spice it up from there.

-Perhaps even add a bit of challenge to it. Using the "Eliminate the Target" Public event mechanics, the mission would have at a specific point where a powerful foe passes through during the Chaos, and you have to take it down before it flees.

-Perhaps the target doesn't spawn in a given area (but always in "instance area, not patrols")

-Patrol instead? Instead of sending you on missions an old mission, the missive acts more as a bounty and a mission combined into one.
The missive will have a name (a high level target), a planet, and a hint. When you wander into the location hinted at on the missive, you get an unique encounter with power enemies and setups.

For possible added challenge:
Nightfall rules: fireteam wipe pushes you to orbit, consuming the missive making the mission a falure. I suggest this because.. well you get several missives in a day.
Or with two of my above ideas where it involves killing a miss-able targets, you don't get the rewards, or perhaps "less rewards", and will have to try again with another missive (shouldn't be too much a problem, you can get several in a day anyway). Completeling a mission without getting your target still nets you reputation, but no possible loot drops at mission completion, or something along these lines.

Since my suggestion puts raid equivalent gear on the line, I'd be sure to make the gear your trying to earn, something that at least requires a big of fight out of you if I was the guy making the event. If your still wanting to do mission, have the level bumbed to 30-32 Epic, and one other, maybe random modifier.

The above ideas can be done with.. I won't say minimal effort, but can be done without having to create new content, so it wouldn't take nearly as long to set up and can done and handled with a small team and less time, making them viable changes.

Feedback? Thoughts? Your Ideas?

• One likes this

Xerkxes

Xerkxes

Forum Captain

• 485 posts

Oh really? good to hear.

To be honest, I kind of like having be one of the few who sport Queen's class items and Shaders, helps feel unique among the masses of sameness.
but at the same time I would love to have a 331 attack supremacy, kind of miss the thing.

Mr. Badger

Mr. Badger

Badger Thor!

• 1621 posts

Many complain that there isn't enough PvE events in the game and that Bungie focuses too much on the PvP. There was only one PvE, it kind of sucked, so Bungie took it back to think on it later.

Now, They've said they'll put it back out eventually. Now I want to discuss some easy fixes that could bring back some relevance to the event.

It was taken out because If it was re-released as it was back then, just with up to date gear (33 light armor and 331 attack weapons), it's relevance would be minimal.

Fixes to the rewards

The Armor:
Amor it provides would be a waste of time, you can't shard them for anything, and it's only strictly inferior to Iron Banner or Crota's End gear.
To fix this, it could do what Iron Banner does, and over time and with every release of the event, make one or two pieces of the gear light 36 (or whatever the cap is at the time). Also theme the armor's perks around Hand Cannons, Pulses Rifles and Snipers to oppose the Iron Banners armor's weapon perks. But considering armor as was dropped with every missive, maybe move the "cap" gear to the vendor and have it sold based on reputation and the expected insane amount of glimmer, much like the Iron Banner.

The weapon: there's nothing wrong with the weapon(s? I only remember sniper, which my roll of it was fucking fantastic at the time), as long as they're updated for 331 attack, this could be a reason to try out for them. If they add a few more themed weapons, this could make it worth it all on it's own.

Aesthetics: Queen's gear is themed with the gold and purple colours, as well as her insignia. Some people like matching gear with matching weapons. Nothing here needs to change.

---

Some possible fixes to the actual event:

The fixes I'm going to suggest are low effort and recycled mechanics sorts of deals. Things that use existing resources and whatnot. While it would be nice to have some extravagant completely new activities, I don't expect anything "New" from bungie at this point.

The even itself is boring. Not like Iron Banner does anything meaningful to change up the game either other than some fantastic gear, but lets talk about stuff they can do to fix the event.
As it was, you got bounties that isn't all too unlike other bounties other than their specific targets.
You complete a bounty and get a missive.
The Missive allows you to play a lv 24 version of specific story missions with the Epic Modifier on.

What can we suggest to fix stuff like this?

Add a "new" target to the missive.
Remember how the Thorn Bounty had a special wizard enemy that would appear in a special version of the summoning pits strike? why not make the Queen's target like this?
And that can even spice it up from there.

-Perhaps even add a bit of challenge to it. Using the "Eliminate the Target" Public event mechanics, the mission would have at a specific point where a powerful foe passes through during the Chaos, and you have to take it down before it flees.

-Perhaps the target doesn't spawn in a given area (but always in "instance area, not patrols"
You can complete the mission without killing this figure, but if you don't, 

-Patrol instead? Instead of sending you on missions an old mission, the missive acts more as a bounty and a mission combined into one.
The missive will have a name (a high level target), a planet, and a hint. When you wander into the location hinted at on the missive, you get an unique encounter with power enemies and setups.

For possible added challenge:
Nightfall rules: fireteam wipe pushes you to orbit, consuming the missive making the mission a falure. I suggest this because.. well you get several missives in a day.
Or with two of my above ideas where it involves killing a miss-able targets, you don't get the rewards, or perhaps "less rewards", and will have to try again with another missive (shouldn't be too much a problem, you can get several in a day anyway). Completeling a mission without getting your target still nets you reputation, but no possible loot drops at mission completion, or something along these lines.

Since my suggestion puts raid equivalent gear on the line, I'd be sure to make the gear your trying to earn, something that at least requires a big of fight out of you if I was the guy making the event..

The above ideas can be done with.. I won't say minimal effort, but can be done without having to create new content, so it wouldn't take nearly as long to set up and can done and handled with a small team and less time, making them viable changes.

Feedback? Thoughts? Your Ideas?

Don't rightly care what they do for Queen's Wrath as long as they bring it back. All we've had is Iron Banner events since the first, and last, Queen's Wrath in doing have had NO special events besides the DLC for PvE. Would like to see that changed.

Xerkxes

Xerkxes

Forum Captain

• 485 posts

The reason they took it down was because it currently provides no real substance for players.
They took it down from circulation due criticism of the players.
If they brought it back as is, very few people would bother in comparison to it's PvP counter part Iron Banner.

There's a few easy solutions, things they've already done. They just need to apply them.

Q-min4t0r

Q-min4t0r

Forum Lieutenant

• 184 posts

Well, in order for Queen's Wrath to be a useful thing, Bungie might have to raise the level cap to 35. Like you'd be getting to 33 with Vanguard gear, 34 with Queen's Wrath / Iron Banner gear and 35 with raid gear.

In order for you to complete, or at least stand a fair chance, in the upcoming raid on hard, you'd have to be level 34 / 35, which basically means that Iron Banner and Queen's Wrath becomes crucial to reaching the right light level. Of course the raid on normal would provide you with the same light level gear, but having an alternative way of reaching the right level before heading into the raid on hard would be nice.

It kinda all depends on how Bungie will handle the hard mode of the upcoming raid. If they want us to reach the highest possible level before heading into the raid on hard, then this suggestion might become useless...  :whistling: 

Just a thought. 

On a sidenote, I'm really excited about the new DLC. I have expectations for Bungie to correct their mistakes from TDB.

Xerkxes

Xerkxes

Forum Captain

• 485 posts

Wasn't expecting a link to my ideas in the HoW article.

TOTALLY didn't go back and edit out a few mistakes, no sir!  

>.>  

<.<

Cybertronian95

Cybertronian95

Vaporizer Cybertronian95, the Unreserved

• 183 posts

Oh really? good to hear.

To be honest, I kind of like having be one of the few who sport Queen's class items and Shaders, helps feel unique among the masses of sameness.
but at the same time I would love to have a 331 attack supremacy, kind of miss the thing.

Same here for the Queen's class items. I always at least keep the Rosegold shader on my Titan. Although I like the idea of "blending in" for my character. To do this, I put on my old level 29 gear I always wore before TDB, which included the Queen's Chest Armor and the helmet. It's fun to do, helps keep others from spamming you with invites to their game.

(Also, I still have the rare auto, scout, and hand cannons the Queen's Wrath vendor sold in my vault.)

Q-min4t0r

Q-min4t0r

Forum Lieutenant

• 184 posts

Same here for the Queen's class items. I always at least keep the Rosegold shader on my Titan. Although I like the idea of "blending in" for my character. To do this, I put on my old level 29 gear I always wore before TDB, which included the Queen's Chest Armor and the helmet. It's fun to do, helps keep others from spamming you with invites to their game.

Ha! Tell me about the invites. Usually it's some group of kids, desperate to get that last member. I hate it when that happens...

Might follow your advice and do the same. Equip the old but gold gear  :P

ReaperFox

ReaperFox

Forum Sergeant

• 127 posts

Well, in order for Queen's Wrath to be a useful thing, Bungie might have to raise the level cap to 35. Like you'd be getting to 33 with Vanguard gear, 34 with Queen's Wrath / Iron Banner gear and 35 with raid gear.

In order for you to complete, or at least stand a fair chance, in the upcoming raid on hard, you'd have to be level 34 / 35, which basically means that Iron Banner and Queen's Wrath becomes crucial to reaching the right light level. Of course the raid on normal would provide you with the same light level gear, but having an alternative way of reaching the right level before heading into the raid on hard would be nice.

It kinda all depends on how Bungie will handle the hard mode of the upcoming raid. If they want us to reach the highest possible level before heading into the raid on hard, then this suggestion might become useless...  :whistling: 

Just a thought. 

On a sidenote, I'm really excited about the new DLC. I have expectations for Bungie to correct their mistakes from TDB.

I agree with this as long as they dont reset your reputation each event and they increase the glimmer cap. Or just let you use Vanguard and Crucible marks to purchase gear. Having to grind up to level 4 every iron banner is just a waste of time. 

dbushik

dbushik

The short answer I'd give is to replicate everything they are doing with Iron Banner, only use strikes instead of Crucible.  Make the difficulty similar to weekly heroic or nightfalls.

Maybe offer bounties similar to before, when you complete a bounty you get a token, like before, that allows admittance to the nightfall difficulty level strike.  Both bounties and the strikes can give you reputation.  Strikes can drop rewards similar to Iron Banner matches.  The better queen specific gear is handled the same way Iron Banner gear works now.  Etc.

Basically just mirror everything you're doing in Iron Banner/Crucible matches with Queens Wrath/Strike Playlist.

I'm just giving broad strokes here, but basically it'd be nice if they had something for PvE similar to what they offer for PvP.  Primarily, it'd be nice to have max level armor with more custom perks (and the ability to reforge to get the perks you want on armor and weapons) than we see from just raid gear.

• Xerkxes and ReaperFox like this

Q-min4t0r

Q-min4t0r

Forum Lieutenant

• 184 posts

I agree with this as long as they dont reset your reputation each event and they increase the glimmer cap. Or just let you use Vanguard and Crucible marks to purchase gear. Having to grind up to level 4 every iron banner is just a waste of time. 

Make sure you've finished the Nightfall, have the Iron Banner shader, emblem and class item equipped, and wait a few days before you start doing it. This will get you a 30% buff increase from the Iron Banner items plus the Nightfall buff (this also increases reputation gained by 25% besides increasing your experience gained) towards the reputation gained plus the Tempered buff you get from Lord Saladin (the Iron Banner vendor), which, btw, increases your reputation gained every day.

I went from Rank 0 to 4 in just a few hours playtime last Saturday.  :thumbsup:

Basically just mirror everything you're doing in Iron Banner/Crucible matches with Queens Wrath/Strike Playlist.

I'm just giving broad strokes here, but basically it'd be nice if they had something for PvE similar to what they offer for PvP.  Primarily, it'd be nice to have max level armor with more custom perks (and the ability to reforge to get the perks you want on armor and weapons) than we see from just raid gear.

Didn't they do this with the first and only Queen's Wrath event, just with story missions instead of strikes? No matter what, I think this would be the easy choice... maybe too easy, if you ask me. I want Queen's Wrath to differ from the usual things you do in PvE. Like Iron Banner. There's a level advantage. A similar small change and it feels new.

Imo they'd have to make Queen's Wrath worth doing, just like the Iron Banner. You get light level 36 gear and special weapons only obtainable in the Iron Banner, which basically means there's a reason to do it. Queen's Wrath needs to be reconsidered before Bungie relaunches the event.

At first the Queen's Wrath didn't really have a purpose besides being an event with the same light level gear as obtained from the Vanguard vendors. Ofc there was the shaders and the weapons, but that was pretty much the only reason to participate in the event.  :down:

Xerkxes

Xerkxes

Forum Captain

• 485 posts

I don't think it would be as bad as Iron Banner if they did.
Iron banner a few bad games can really put you down.
Though I manage to get to rank 4 in the first two days, every time the Iron Banner is around I tend not to touch crucible again for months... But the outstanding weapons and cool

looking raid equivalent armor are just about worth the grind.

Queen's uses missions and strikes, I don't know many people who get as angry at missions/strike as they do crucible. I see less rage in Raids than I do the Iron Banner.

Anyway, if they handle the rewards and vendor items like the do IB, they HAVE to reset the rep, else you do the event once and never look back or do it again.

So a different reward and vendor system would be required, and to be done in such a way you can't simply skip the event and get the rewards instantly.

I suggested Hand Cannon, Pulse Rifle, and Sniper perks because Iron Banner armor does all the other weapons.
Reforging should be something implemented into the game overall, maybe more expensive on non-event items. Especially raid gear which after CE.. got really funky with the stats that can drop.
My Warlock Raid gear, pushed me over 400 Discipline.. I did not need that, and couldn't get non-discipline armor to damn drop (but my friends had good mix versions)
Kind of really Glad Iron Banner had gear with stats more to my liking.

ReaperFox

ReaperFox

Forum Sergeant

• 127 posts

Make sure you've finished the Nightfall, have the Iron Banner shader, emblem and class item equipped, and wait a few days before you start doing it. This will get you a 30% buff increase from the Iron Banner items plus the Nightfall buff (this also increases reputation gained by 25% besides increasing your experience gained) towards the reputation gained plus the Tempered buff you get from Lord Saladin (the Iron Banner vendor), which, btw, increases your reputation gained every day.

I went from Rank 0 to 4 in just a few hours playtime last Saturday.  :thumbsup:

I do this every week :) , maybe I just don't have more than a few hours to play every week and to grind unnecessarily because we lose the reputation we earned previously is bad design in my humble opinion.

Edited by ReaperFox, 24 March 2015 - 08:39 AM.

• alfynokes likes this

Q-min4t0r

Q-min4t0r

Forum Lieutenant

• 184 posts

I do this every week :) , maybe I just don't have more than a few hours to play every week and to grind unnecessarily because we lose the reputation we earned previously is bad design in my humble opinion.

Maybe. But it gets you playing, which is the primary goal ;)

• ReaperFox likes this

Cybertronian95

Cybertronian95

Vaporizer Cybertronian95, the Unreserved

• 183 posts

Ha! Tell me about the invites. Usually it's some group of kids, desperate to get that last member. I hate it when that happens...

Might follow your advice and do the same. Equip the old but gold gear :P

For me, all my old armor helps to remind me where I came from in this game. Luckily, I left a lot of the kids trying to get full raid teams behind on the Xbox 360 when I moved to One. No more squeaky voices for me. :)

Mr. Badger

Mr. Badger

Badger Thor!

• 1621 posts

For me, all my old armor helps to remind me where I came from in this game. Luckily, I left a lot of the kids trying to get full raid teams behind on the Xbox 360 when I moved to One. No more squeaky voices for me. :)

If you're on Xbox one go ahead and add me if you like. i'm an crazy old gamer that enjoys talking about the "Days of Pong".

MakkinjeM

MakkinjeM

New Blood

• 4 posts

We'll be doing an article about this subject and HoW in general soon, what we hope to see and how it could be improved. 

Hey there Noles,

When may we expect this article in public?
I'm eager to learn more about both subjects. 

Next to that; where will we find it? Is it going to be on the official Bungie site first, or perhaps here, or Reddit?

I've been speculating a lot together with the community, on the Bungie forums about HoW, and really curious what's going to be reality for Destiny and what isn't (yet)!

Kind regards,

ATH3ON

ATH3ON

Forum Commander

• 1203 posts

We'll be doing an article about this subject and HoW in general soon, what we hope to see and how it could be improved.

Anyway we can be specifically updated when this article is up to see or a specific area of the site I should keep an eye on for when it appears? I'm very interested in this and would not want to miss it.

MakkinjeM

MakkinjeM

New Blood

• 4 posts

Noles,

Aah that's the one you were referring to. I'm sorry, I misread. I was hoping for actual facts of the DLC to come (more intel on the raid in specific). I like the article, and think you (PD) have thought it through thoroughly, and therefor hope content alike may be expected for the upcoming DLC's. I do personally hope for expansion on the current explorable areas, as well as new explorable locations (planets, moons, etc) for at least Comet. I think we might expect expansion of the universe in the direction of Jupiter en Saturn. Grimoire cards give some solid hints for that happening relatively soon.

Insolentploebe

Insolentploebe

Forum Major

• 774 posts

Here's some thoughts that crossed my mind...

Had Bungie released this post-Iron Banner a month or so ago when everyone was first tiring of Crota, they definitely should have had light level 36 gear as a PvE route to get to level 32. By this time in the expansion there isn't a shortage of level 32s with raid and iron banner gear, so this lets PvE types that don't (or can't) join raids a path, even if they have to wait longer for it.

Personally I would like to see PvE activities include story mode missions set at difficulty level 31 or 32, with either heroic or mythic, one or two burns, and one of either angry, light switch, or juggler activated. It could be like the raid where two difficulty levels are available but only the higher awards weapons. I kinda like the idea of offering a higher difficulty where your enemies may be a level higher than where non-raiders stuck at 31 are, giving them an analogous experience to what level 32ers experienced with Crota hard mode having level 33 enemies.

I would love to see a PvE pathway where the queen's emissary lets you reroll weapons you earn in the process similar to Iron Banner. Especially if Bungie were to go along with sufficiently difficult activities, it would add to the sense that you are earning it as a special privilege.

Of course it would be good for there to be bounties also involved in the process of leveling up your standing with the queen to purchase certain gear. Have them involve specific oddball targets. There are already a number of potential oddball enemies in weird locations across the patrols mostly not connected to current bounties they can choose from without having to recode much of anything.

One idea it's almost certainly too late for and may seem too quirky anyway, but it crossed my mind that instead of an entire armor set, if the Queen's Wrath is purposefully scheduled halfway to two-thirds between each DLC to help expand variety, instead of offering an entire set of armor the queen could only award one piece of gear (probably helmet or chest piece) of light level 39.

This makes things interesting in two ways. First, it creates a condition where any given level 31 player only needs one additional light level 36 armor from either the raid or Iron Banner plus an exotic to hit level 32. Second, it stands as a small early step for the next light level progression when the upcoming DLC hits. Probably too late in the process for Bungie to entertain the notion at this point, but it seemed interesting.