Photo

I hate RNG!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Frostweasel

Frostweasel

Apprentice

• 56 posts

Two nightfall runs this week not only is it a complete pain with no burns but RNG "rewards" me with two drops of 8 ascendant shards! Ascendant shards are not a reward anymore Bungie as there is no earthly use for them, pretty much every player who has been playing for longer than 3 months has about a hundred of them.

Strange coins I would have been happy with, even motes of light with the iron banner here but ascendant shards? The only people that need ascendant shards are people that aren't a high enough level to pull their weight in a bloody nightfall!

Arbiter Buddy

Arbiter Buddy

Forum Lieutenant

• 181 posts

That's Destiny for you, might as well just accept it because it's never gonna change

Frostweasel

Frostweasel

Apprentice

• 56 posts

My argument is that nightfall should have ascendant shards removed as they are no longer viable in game for high level characters, nightfall is supposed to be the toughest PvE challenge bar raids, arguably the people who complete nightfall don't and won't ever need ascendant shards.

In response to your "never gonna change" comment, I've played a dozen MMOs over ten years and games evolve. I'd challenge anyone who joined WoW or EQ2 after 3 years of the game being live to go back and play it release week. I'm telling you it would be unrecognisable to them!

Without players giving feedback the game won't change, I'm not petitioning for a change to RNG here (I can see why you would think that from my thread title though, that was just frustration talking) I just want nightfall rewards to have some use. Even NLB is potentially useful... Sort of.

I don't care which way it's done, either by removing ascendant shards from Nightfalls loot table or by actually making them useful in some way.
  • insanetrasher likes this

Mykle

Mykle

Forum Colonel

• 1871 posts

Two nightfall runs this week not only is it a complete pain with no burns but RNG "rewards" me with two drops of 8 ascendant shards! Ascendant shards are not a reward anymore Bungie as there is no earthly use for them, pretty much every player who has been playing for longer than 3 months has about a hundred of them.
Strange coins I would have been happy with, even motes of light with the iron banner here but ascendant shards? The only people that need ascendant shards are people that aren't a high enough level to pull their weight in a bloody nightfall!

That's Destiny for you, might as well just accept it because it's never gonna change

The entire purpose of Destiny is to trap you into grinding. Limited content and RNG combine into a grind for some particular item you want. What are you going to do once you get that item? I'm 100% sure you will just keep grinding away. Eventually, you'll have the weapons then what? Play CE or VoG HMs for eternity?

With the current system, Bungie has no motivation to give you what you want. They will get more play time out of you if they don't. Frostweasel makes a point about implementing change but honestly, Destiny WILL NOT CHANGE. You might see something a little different out of Destiny 2 (which most of Bungie's man hours are going into) but I still doubt it. While Destiny didn't achieve the critical success it was mistakenly hoping for, SALES WERE THROUGH THE ROOF. As a business, they will correlate this with success.

Anyhow, if you really hate it, you'll send a stronger message by not playing than making a thread in a third party forum.

xRed0ctobeRx

xRed0ctobeRx

Envious

• 351 posts

@mykle is correct, especially with the limited amount of content that is in the game currently. Which is one reason I still think they made Crotas End loot drops too frequent. Granted they made the RNG super unpredictable, because I still haven't gotten a Helmet for my Titan or Hunter I recieved the rest of my armor relatively easily.

There are things though I think they can improve upon with the RNG system, especially with certain events such as Nightfalls. BUT I am getting a feeling that Nightfalls that we know it will soon be changing. Last weeks Weekly Update gave an interesting tidbit of info at the end about Strikes that I find very interesting. IF they develop different levels for Nightfalls with better loot drops in the higher tier Strikes I think it would give more motivation to try to attack the Nightfalls with the hopes an Exotic would drop.

@Frostweasel There is somthing else that I partially agree with you on. Ascendant Materials for me is completely worthless and also think it shouldn't drop in the NIghtfall, but there are new players that could possibly use it. Of course, I guess if said player is in the Nightfall, more then likely that person is running with Raid Gear already.

Is there changes to RNG that could happen, yea. Do I think it needs to be drastic, No. RIght now there are about a Dozen different activities that you can do to get an Exotic drop. Some drop more then others, but there are ways. By this time, if you have played since Day 1, you more then likely have 3 characters (if you don't what the hell are you doing with your light guardian?). SO you have multiple chances to get all the loot you desire. Just a matter of time really, and Bungie WANTS YOUR TIME. lol

bmg0664

bmg0664

Apprentice

• 56 posts

Ran Crota on normal last night..shards & energy, that was it.  

xRed0ctobeRx

xRed0ctobeRx

Envious

• 351 posts

Ran Crota on normal last night..shards & energy, that was it.  

Yea that has happened to me also.

I have also had a Crota kill, on Hard Mode, and only gotten Energies.

• Hunter_4life likes this

Hunter_4life

Hunter_4life

Forum Captain

• 492 posts

Yea that has happened to me also.

I have also had a Crota kill, on Hard Mode, and only gotten Energies.

I feel your pain. That sucked so bad I just rage quit and played cod. Beat the whooole hard mode CE, All those hours of attempts and I get shards the whole way through... ugh.

xRed0ctobeRx

xRed0ctobeRx

Envious

• 351 posts

I feel your pain. That sucked so bad I just rage quit and played cod. Beat the whooole hard mode CE, All those hours of attempts and I get shards the whole way through... ugh.

I don't think I could ever get so pissed that I would quit and Go play CoD. Warframe on the other hand yes.

Mykle

Mykle

Forum Colonel

• 1871 posts

I don't think I could ever get so pissed that I would quit and Go play CoD. Warframe on the other hand yes.

I haven't played that since August. I updated it not too long ago and it felt weird. The whole spaceship layout was uncomfortable. I miss playing it with my friends and just tanking everything with the Rhino.

crippler4hm

crippler4hm

Forum Lieutenant

• 377 posts

ascendant shards/energies may be worthless to you, but not to a new player.. 

people get so f`n worked up about RNG that you just stress yourself over it lols.

I stopped caring what I get, or didn't get from NFs, Raids etc..  and ill be honest with you, its better off you don't let RNG bother you, or let yourself be jealous someone has this or that and you don't.

Ascendant shards/energies will most likely be useful when HoW comes out..

My best advise to people that let RNG stress you out.. do what Mykle said, just stop playing lols.  if you let video games stress you out, then maybe you shouldn't play video games again lols,

( I am kidding about quit playing, just try not to work yourselves up over RNG so much)

• Badgerstate36 likes this

django

django

Forum Captain

• 463 posts

people get so f`n worked up about RNG that you just stress yourself over it lols.

I stopped caring what I get, or didn't get from NFs, Raids etc..  and ill be honest with you, its better off you don't let RNG bother you, or let yourself be jealous someone has this or that and you don't.

My best advise to people that let RNG stress you out.. do what Mykle said, just stop playing lols.  if you let video games stress you out, then maybe you shouldn't play video games again lols,

( I am kidding about quit playing, just try not to work yourselves up over RNG so much)

We can't get worked up over RNG??, you're taking all the fun out of the game crip...you'll be telling us we can't complain about Xur next:).  

Frostweasel

Frostweasel

Apprentice

• 56 posts

How many new players do you see in Nightfalls without being carried by more experienced players? Nightfall is not really supposed to be new player content, chances are players in Nightfalls don't need shards. In truth I was in there with a new player who needed those shards, he got NLB which will not help him improve at all but which I need as a collector, something in which he has no interest.

My point is that seeing 2 players get something the other needs is desperately frustrating. RNG needs to have modifiers that take previous drops into account. If I have over 100 ascendant shards in the bank it ought to reduce my chance of getting them. Equally if I have an Atheons Epilogue maxed out on both my characters plus a spare in the bank it should drastically reduce my chances of getting one.

crippler4hm

crippler4hm

Forum Lieutenant

• 377 posts

^ Not Many, if at all.. I have personally carried my friends who started new characters.

I have helped my twitch friends who stream, helping their viewers through nightfalls, but I do the same in Raids..

So just because YOU don't need the shards now, doesn't mean others are in the same boat. 

Sorry if you let Shards bother you, but if bungie takes it out because a few don't like getting them in Nightfalls, A LOT more people will be hindered in leveling up if Nightfalls is the only means for them if they have trouble getting in raid groups.. that or just play waiting game for public events.

@Django - lol. I know people don't like RNG, but people get too F`n worked up over it. Stop thinking about it so much and just accept what you get.

ive gotten 8 VOC's, and never got an AE, but after VoC #3 I stopped caring.

All you will do by getting worked up is hating yourself playing this game.  That's why I said, if you cant learn to kinda ignore RNG so much, it be much healthier for you to stop playing for a bit.

The_SlayerSaint

The_SlayerSaint

Forum Lieutenant

• 271 posts

Between hard mode and normal mode I've done around 20 Crota kills now. I still don't have a Hunger of Crota. I actually got the Word of Crota last night which means that it's the only raid weapon I'm missing now. The best rocket I have is One Way Ticket, all I want is a HoC. :( That's the one thing RNG has screwed me over on. 

Frostweasel

Frostweasel

Apprentice

• 56 posts

^ Not Many, if at all.. I have personally carried my friends who started new characters.

I have helped my twitch friends who stream, helping their viewers through nightfalls, but I do the same in Raids..

So just because YOU don't need the shards now, doesn't mean others are in the same boat.

Sorry if you let Shards bother you, but if bungie takes it out because a few don't like getting them in Nightfalls, A LOT more people will be hindered in leveling up if Nightfalls is the only means for them if they have trouble getting in raid groups.. that or just play waiting game for public events.

@Django - lol. I know people don't like RNG, but people get too F`n worked up over it. Stop thinking about it so much and just accept what you get.

All you will do by getting worked up is hating yourself playing this game. That's why I said, if you cant learn to kinda ignore RNG so much, it be much healthier for you to stop playing for a bit.

Well no they aren't going to suffer because the drop rate is so unreliable that most people probably don't even know they're a possible drop. Nightfalls are supposed to have exciting drops and who, no matter how much they need them, gets excited by shards.

Nightfalls are also supposed to be endgame content they aren't supposed to be levelling tools, it was supposed to be the hardest non raid challenge. Don't get me wrong I have no problem carrying people through at all I just don't think that shards are a suitable reward, how many new players are gonna complain that they had an exotic or legendary drop instead of shards?

As invested players we often feel it important to voice our opinions, video game forums have been like that for the past 10-15 years. It's a way of venting frustration that doesn't involve screaming at the TV.

Edited by Frostweasel, 22 February 2015 - 05:09 AM.

• xRed0ctobeRx likes this

jmcole79

jmcole79

New Blood

• 7 posts

While I understand the reasoning behind having shards in the loot table, i'm tired of getting them. Can't remember a time now that I didn't have 100+. Personally I wish that nightfall drops had something different, I wouldn't mind getting 20 heavy ammo synth or 5000 glimmer or even a bonus level rank up for your class (Dead Orbit, Vanguard, etc). I think that might make it more interesting. Also, i'm aware they already provide glimmer and exp, I'm saying a bonus on top of that. 

Mykle

Mykle

Forum Colonel

• 1871 posts

All you will do by getting worked up is hating yourself playing this game.  That's why I said, if you cant learn to kinda ignore RNG so much, it be much healthier for you to stop playing for a bit.

Agreed. If you don't like RNG, stop playing. That's all this game is. Every little thing you do is accompanied by some invisible rolling dice and getting a Yahtzee! Is the only reason to play this game.

Xur

Xur

Agent of the Nine

• 46 posts

Go get you some strange coins and come see me. I have some gently used No Land Beyonds for ye.

Lil'Ubo

Lil'Ubo

Forum Admiral

• 6601 posts

I was so sad that i didn't need to buy the two chests from you that i bought 4 No Land Beyonds to make you happy :D

Nerdnurse

Nerdnurse

Forum Sergeant

• 117 posts

Oh the grind... Still have to do the weekly tonight in one of my characters (Xûr got me broke) for some coins, then hop on Atheon and sCrota on normal mode on both to finish my weekly grind

qoxolg

qoxolg

Recruit

• 11 posts

RNG in this game is not really that bad. I also play PSO2 and now that game has horrible RNG. Most maps or randomly generated. Upgrading your weapons? RNG for failure, with only a 30% chance of succes for the final upgrade. You thought that was bad? When upgrading you can also lose your upgrades when it fails! Yes, you can spent millions of in game currency and be set back to where you started. Adding abilities? watch 90% chances of succes fail! Drops? Most good boss drops have at best a 1/1000 chance of dropping.

Destiny does miss drop tables. I kind of miss hunting specific enemies for specific drops. Always makes me feel like I am treasure hunter  :woot:

• Hunter_4life and Lil'Ubo like this

Saikoro

Saikoro

Forum Captain

• 404 posts

So you have multiple chances to get all the loot you desire. Just a matter of time really, and Bungie WANTS YOUR TIME. lol

This was so well said I find it ridiculous. I also agree with you completely. :D

• xRed0ctobeRx and ShadowAgent666 like this

Hunter_4life

Hunter_4life

Forum Captain

• 492 posts

Between hard mode and normal mode I've done around 20 Crota kills now. I still don't have a Hunger of Crota. I actually got the Word of Crota last night which means that it's the only raid weapon I'm missing now. The best rocket I have is One Way Ticket, all I want is a HoC. :( That's the one thing RNG has screwed me over on.

I have the same problem with CE, it will not drop Black hammer for me and Crota still hasn't dropped any primary weapons on Hard either! :(

Badgerstate36

Badgerstate36

Forum Commander

• 1102 posts

So true.  Its as if people are like, "Destiny is so stupid and Bungie is never going to fix it.  I should just quit playing."  Then 5 minutes later theyre like, "dude, you wanna do a raid?"  Its quite comical, actually.