Photo

Angry Joe's Review of Destiny

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

SewajDrayn

SewajDrayn

New Blood

• 8 posts

So Angry Joe did his review of Destiny. He shines with his reviews because he is brutally honest and points out major flaws and the awesome parts of all the games he reviews. Please watch as he makes some very excellent points and pretty much hits mine and a few others view of this game spot on.

• Sentry-Mann, BrokenToeEd, HBoss52 and 1 other like this

Fedge Gondola

Fedge Gondola

Forum Sergeant

• 121 posts

Watched it earlier.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is an honest review.

ApexPredatorLion

ApexPredatorLion

Recruit

• 24 posts

So Angry Joe did his review of Destiny. He shines with his reviews because he is brutally honest and points out major flaws and the awesome parts of all the games he reviews. Please watch as he makes some very excellent points and pretty much hits mine and a few others view of this game spot on.

If someone needs me to explain the story to them I can because the story is VERY obvious it is people like this that have too low IQ to read the lore such as grimoire cards or listening to the storyline 

Let me by saying I am one of the top players in Destiny (two 28s 6 exotics fully decked out on both beat all strikes/Weeklys/Nightfall/Raids) so I know what I am talking about 

The traveler was built by rasputin and came from the future along with the vex (who are trying to obtain the travelers/rasputin's technology) to try to defeat the darkness because they know it is coming (hence why they got the guardians revived) but the darkness brought the Hive with them which at the fight of Twilight Gap (all the leaders of the tower fought in it and they iron banner leader was the general/lord saladin) they barely won but the first true alive guardians died and the remaining ones never came back the same mianly Lord Saladin (fast forward years later) the darkness won other major battles and captured the travelers shards (one on the moon,venus,mars) which are holding the travelers powers and so WE, the new guardians, have to take it back. Meanwhile the Speaker (Rasputin) is using us to try to create a new power (read lost memory grimoire 1/2 and Thorn) basically the last alive guardian said he had doubts about The light (Travelers,Speaker) the guardian Titanmach had a dream about being cut and not healed by The Light/Ghost who said to "Beware of the traveler for not is all as it seems" and he woke up with the cut form his dream so basically later DLC we will have to pick sides future warriors/Traveler/Darkness.

The fallen are from The Outer Worlds (agents of Nine-Leaders of the outside like Gods who protect them) they basically lost their planet to the darkness (Maybe the Light) and had to try to go to our solar system and now the fallen want to take back a planet (happens to be earth) so they aligned with Queen Of The Reef (betrays her once they get their Priest/God out of jail).

The Hive are dead guardians resurected along with other species who are controlled by the Darkness and are taking out the traveller and other guardians.

The Cabal are basically the Roman Empire (Legionaires,Phalanxes,Centurions,Collosus,Emperor who is hiding in the giant kingdom where vex are fighting to get into) they are on mars and they have been trying to keep out of the fights and defend their Emperor while they prepare to invade the tower/earth for the travelers powers to rule over our solar system.

Now the best part is the future warriors as I call them who are here to try to change the future (where the light wins and basically turns into a super dictatorship ruled by rasputin-rasputin was a russian leader *surprise we are in old russia* basically he was known as someone who influenced the leader of russia to go and fight in WW1 and basically told them to take over the world which lead in their involvement so think of him as the speaker {rasputin} telling the traveler {russia/allies} to make the guardians {soliders of russia/allies} to go and fight the darkness {axis} to take back the universe {Dicatorship} because God told him to (the light). This is why the Future Warriors know that the Light/rasputin/travler wins and bascially takes over everything so they are coming back to warn us to be careful of The Light and to make our own decisions about what to do hence why the Queen and her brother laugh at our blind following of the Travler.

The awoken in short are the firstborn of their kind and left to go into the reef where they devloped a civilization and got their powers from being near the reef just like the blackmarket dealer Xur which his people meditated in the the No Zone ( basically no light or sound or anything) and they developed power which the Nine granted them (immmortality no physical manifestation etc.) and are the Gods of the Outer Planets which are protected by The Nine which we will explore later

In short just pay attention to details and expect to see more info later on as we progress in the DLCs ( I would rather have DLCs than a smaller game even if i have to pay for it) and be grateful we didnt get another COD and they are trying something new (i never got something new down on the first time especially something this big)

Mr. Badger

Mr. Badger

Badger Thor!

• 1621 posts

If someone needs me to explain the story to them I can because the story is VERY obvious it is people like this that have too low IQ to read the lore such as grimoire cards or listening to the storyline

Let me by saying I am one of the top players in Destiny (two 28s 6 exotics fully decked out on both beat all strikes/Weeklys/Nightfall/Raids) so I know what I am talking about
The traveler was built by rasputin and came from the future along with the vex (who are trying to obtain the travelers/rasputin's technology) to try to defeat the darkness because they know it is coming (hence why they got the guardians revived) but the darkness brought the Hive with them which at the fight of Twilight Gap (all the leaders of the tower fought in it and they iron banner leader was the general/lord saladin) they barely won but the first true alive guardians died and the remaining ones never came back the same mianly Lord Saladin (fast forward years later) the darkness won other major battles and captured the travelers shards (one on the moon,venus,mars) which are holding the travelers powers and so WE, the new guardians, have to take it back. Meanwhile the Speaker (Rasputin) is using us to try to create a new power (read lost memory grimoire 1/2 and Thorn) basically the last alive guardian said he had doubts about The light (Travelers,Speaker) the guardian Titanmach had a dream about being cut and not healed by The Light/Ghost who said to "Beware of the traveler for not is all as it seems" and he woke up with the cut form his dream so basically later DLC we will have to pick sides future warriors/Traveler/Darkness.
The fallen are from The Outer Worlds (agents of Nine-Leaders of the outside like Gods who protect them) they basically lost their planet to the darkness (Maybe the Light) and had to try to go to our solar system and now the fallen want to take back a planet (happens to be earth) so they aligned with Queen Of The Reef (betrays her once they get their Priest/God out of jail).
The Hive are dead guardians resurected along with other species who are controlled by the Darkness and are taking out the traveller and other guardians.
The Cabal are basically the Roman Empire (Legionaires,Phalanxes,Centurions,Collosus,Emperor who is hiding in the giant kingdom where vex are fighting to get into) they are on mars and they have been trying to keep out of the fights and defend their Emperor while they prepare to invade the tower/earth for the travelers powers to rule over our solar system.
Now the best part is the future warriors as I call them who are here to try to change the future (where the light wins and basically turns into a super dictatorship ruled by rasputin-rasputin was a russian leader *surprise we are in old russia* basically he was known as someone who influenced the leader of russia to go and fight in WW1 and basically told them to take over the world which lead in their involvement so think of him as the speaker {rasputin} telling the traveler {russia/allies} to make the guardians {soliders of russia/allies} to go and fight the darkness {axis} to take back the universe {Dicatorship} because God told him to (the light). This is why the Future Warriors know that the Light/rasputin/travler wins and bascially takes over everything so they are coming back to warn us to be careful of The Light and to make our own decisions about what to do hence why the Queen and her brother laugh at our blind following of the Travler.
The awoken in short are the firstborn of their kind and left to go into the reef where they devloped a civilization and got their powers from being near the reef just like the blackmarket dealer Xur which his people meditated in the the No Zone ( basically no light or sound or anything) and they developed power which the Nine granted them (immmortality no physical manifestation etc.) and are the Gods of the Outer Planets which are protected by The Nine which we will explore later
In short just pay attention to details and expect to see more info later on as we progress in the DLCs ( I would rather have DLCs than a smaller game even if i have to pay for it) and be grateful we didnt get another COD and they are trying something new (i never got something new down on the first time especially something this big)

I..... What? Mykle. Never, EVER, say anything about my speculation abilities ever again lol

Aoi

Aoi

Forum Lieutenant

• 336 posts

And........ how much of that is in the game, on disc? You don't promise a "rich" "cinematic" story, then put 95% of said story on internet trading cards. Due to this and their lackluster way of presenting what they do have in the game, it's quite unfair to claim somebody has a "low IQ" if they didn't get it. The dialogue alone is so camp and childish they made A-list actors look C-list. Exposition is established by a monotone robot seemingly talking to itself while the music and sound of gunfire absolutely drowns it out. Honestly, I'm pretty sure Street Fighter X Tekken has more cutscenes/exposition and meaningful dialog than all of Destiny, and that story is absolute nonsense.

• AdventOfAnarchy and HBoss52 like this

NOVREHS

NOVREHS

Ashara

• 282 posts

Isn't Destiny meant to be a trilogy btw?

petere05

petere05

Forum Lieutenant

• 283 posts

You've clearly put a lot of work into understanding the story - so kudos!

That said, I must have a low IQ... :whistling:

But seriously, why word all this lore in cryptic messages that you have to chase down in-game, then load a website/app to read and further interpret.

Have to say, by not putting in as much time as you, I definitely did not (and will not) get all that story - because it's not all in-game, and I don't care enough to read all the cards multiple times through to piece them together - I'd rather play the game. Not that scavenging the website for key plot information isn't fun, it's just not my thing.

Is it too much to ask for Dinkle-berry to read the grimoire cards, or give expository speeches during loading screens?

Fedge Gondola

Fedge Gondola

Forum Sergeant

• 121 posts

Go on?

@Arbiter: Hur der hur hur der hur?

• petere05 likes this

Arbiter Buddy

Arbiter Buddy

Forum Lieutenant

• 181 posts

Someone better call up the short bus so I can get aboard since my IQ just can't handle the truth

Edited by Arbiter Buddy, 21 September 2014 - 06:39 PM.

• AdventOfAnarchy, Mykle, petere05 and 2 others like this

Mykle

Mykle

Forum Colonel

• 1871 posts
Also, The fact that there is no in game support for clans hurts. No map to pull up (other than tower). You have to go all the way back to the tower and to a specific vendor to see your reputation.

Joe mentions the lack of customization options and low number of choices. I wish he would have put a clip of that bungie employee (Jason Jones?) saying "it sucks when you pick up gear that you can't use. In destiny you will pick up gear you can use." I picked up hundreds of items/engrams today. None of it was useful. Could an argument be made that I can use the broken down parts? If I somehow needed 500 weapon parts or sapphire wire, yes. I picked up a sweet looking helmet but it was rare (two steps down from my exotic). As much as I want to look cool, I have to have light.

He didn't even mention all of the caps. They put them in without telling us and without explanation. They even put a cap on the glimmer you can hold at one time. So, they expect us to grind forever but stop us from getting rewarded properly for it.

I had a lot of high hopes for Destiny. I like playing it. I so glad it is on the ps4 and gives me solid shooting mechanics. I am a little disappointed that it took 6 years and $.5bil to give us this amount of content.

Also, that guy up there was clearly playing a different game.
  • HBoss52 likes this

Starfleet Rambo

Starfleet Rambo

Forum Sergeant

• 116 posts

The expression on Joe's face sums it up.

• HBoss52 likes this

ApexPredatorLion

ApexPredatorLion

Recruit

• 24 posts

And........ how much of that is in the game, on disc? You don't promise a "rich" "cinematic" story, then put 95% of said story on internet trading cards. Due to this and their lackluster way of presenting what they do have in the game, it's quite unfair to claim somebody has a "low IQ" if they didn't get it. The dialogue alone is so camp and childish they made A-list actors look C-list. Exposition is established by a monotone robot seemingly talking to itself while the music and sound of gunfire absolutely drowns it out. Honestly, I'm pretty sure Street Fighter X Tekken has more cutscenes/exposition and meaningful dialog than all of Destiny, and that story is absolute none-sense.

I made that comment because he should take the time to understand stuff before he posts to thousands of people that the game has no story. But I fully agree that Peter Dinklage's dialogue sucked because it wasn't what we were used to (complete smart ass vs. the world). Anyways my point is/was that give the game a year and lets see how it comes out because right now we have the foundation of the game such as the foundation of a house but people are trying to build the roof while they are not even walking in the door (if you don't understand what I mean im saying people are expecting a game that has a story that should be over already while it only has just begun) 

Go on?

@Arbiter: Hur der hur hur der hur?

Apparently you do because if you scroll down a little you would've seen my other post of the story but apparenlty you should be on the short bus with arbiter.

You've clearly put a lot of work into understanding the story - so kudos!

That said, I must have a low IQ... :whistling:

But seriously, why word all this lore in cryptic messages that you have to chase down in-game, then load a website/app to read and further interpret.

Have to say, by not putting in as much time as you, I definitely did not (and will not) get all that story - because it's not all in-game, and I don't care enough to read all the cards multiple times through to piece them together - I'd rather play the game. Not that scavenging the website for key plot information isn't fun, it's just not my thing.

Is it too much to ask for Dinkle-berry to read the grimoire cards, or give expository speeches during loading screens?

I never even had to scavenge mainly because I know the second I saw the stuff in game what it meant (the speaker/future warrior/etc) then again I do understand lore such as I know what Halo 5 is about and how it will most likely end (read the books Ghosts of Onyx) it apparenlty is a unique trait since no one else here does

Also, The fact that there is no in game support for clans hurts. No map to pull up (other than tower). You have to go all the way back to the tower and to a specific vendor to see your reputation.

Joe mentions the lack of customization options and low number of choices. I wish he would have put a clip of that bungie employee (Jason Jones?) saying "it sucks when you pick up gear that you can't use. In destiny you will pick up gear you can use." I picked up hundreds of items/engrams today. None of it was useful. Could an argument be made that I can use the broken down parts? If I somehow needed 500 weapon parts or sapphire wire, yes. I picked up a sweet looking helmet but it was rare (two steps down from my exotic). As much as I want to look cool, I have to have light.

He didn't even mention all of the caps. They put them in without telling us and without explanation. They even put a cap on the glimmer you can hold at one time. So, they expect us to grind forever but stop us from getting rewarded properly for it.

I had a lot of high hopes for Destiny. I like playing it. I so glad it is on the ps4 and gives me solid shooting mechanics. I am a little disappointed that it took 6 years and $.5bil to give us this amount of content.

Also, that guy up there was clearly playing a different game.

Lol if your talking about me maybe you just suck at the game and are a COD fanboy because your trying to talk shit about someone who is helping the community to understand the game while you trash talk it so maybe you should give up your title because you can not do your job right apparently.

Mayhem

Mayhem

Assistant Manager of the Year

• 976 posts

Yeah Angry Joe is completely right.

Also destiny hardly has any stoey.

Grimoire cards are NOT story. It's not in the game. This is a review of the game as it stands.

Then there is the sad fact that the raid has such an incredible design. It's diverse and challenging and really shows how lackluster the rest of destiny is. The raid is everything The rest of Destiny isnt.

Every single story and strike is the same. Exactly the same with different environments and enemies only.

Apex there was no need to excuse to insult everyone who didn't read the cards online. That isn't how you tell a story. Sorry. I don't understand why everyone around here gets so butthurt and fanboyish as soon as anyone even tries to suggest that Destiny is anything less than a gift from Jesus Christ himself.

Hate to break it to you guys but Destiny is a average to good game and it doesn't have ANY lasting impact on the gaming industry. It tries to be a lot of things but excels at nothing. It's just average at everything except the shooting mechanics and graphics which are A+
  • Sentry-Mann, Starfleet Rambo, petere05 and 3 others like this

Aoi

Aoi

Forum Lieutenant

• 336 posts

I made that comment because he should take the time to understand stuff before he posts to thousands of people that the game has no story. But I fully agree that Peter Dinklage's dialogue sucked because it wasn't what we were used to (complete smart ass vs. the world). Anyways my point is/was that give the game a year and lets see how it comes out because right now we have the foundation of the game such as the foundation of a house but people are trying to build the roof while they are not even walking in the door (if you don't understand what I mean im saying people are expecting a game that has a story that should be over already while it only has just begun) 

Joe always pisses fans off, it's what he does. He tends to side with the internet bandwagon response to anything.

Regardless, we're all aware Destiny is a big big project with lots of stuff coming and that it's a foundation. Be it as it may, that foundation can still be reviewed and criticized, in the hopes that the building gets better. That's where I stand. I see so much potential and good, but also many flaws. I'm being loud and obnoxious so those flaws don't overtake the rest of the expanding game, as most rational reviewers also are. It seems like you're already behind what it might still be, whereas several of us are a bit more cynical and skeptical now, looking for reassurance of the time we're putting into the game. That's all.

So, let's just man down a little bit here, play our games, and allow Noles to relax a bit too =3

• AdventOfAnarchy likes this

Mayhem

Mayhem

• 976 posts

Joe hits the nail right on the head.

There is literally one substantial cutscene with some decent exposition and story. And all it does is setup the DLC expansion that you have to pay extra for.

Joe also points out straight bold lies from Bungie. Loot works nothing like what they said it would. Loot is completely unsatisfying.

Not to mention I can download the expansions already. They are only a few megabytes. Which to me means that all of the places are ALREADY IN THE GAME. So basically we are paying for content we have already paid for.
  • HBoss52 likes this

NOVREHS

NOVREHS

Ashara

• 282 posts

Grimoire cards should turn into a novel book, would be a nice read.

Tbh, for a story to really exist, it needs characters to develop it, Destiny doesn't really have 'characters' just NPCs (The Reef guys were like the only real people that has some character but nothing much shown) The speaker had something going on at the start but became more on an NPC after a time.

It has a plot, but not a story. For me these are too different things, plots are an idea and stories are built by the characters within the idea.

• HBoss52 likes this

Zakuro

Zakuro

Apprentice

• 45 posts

Tbh, for a story to really exist, it needs characters to develop it, Destiny doesn't really have 'characters' just NPCs (The Reef guys were like the only real people that has some character but nothing much shown) The speaker had something going on at the start but became more on an NPC after a time.

It has a plot, but not a story. For me these are too different things, plots are an idea and stories are built by the characters within the idea.

I know, right? The only personalities that stuck with me were those two in The Reef. A story without personalities really doesn't stick. This is why I love Jrpgs and story driven games like Metal Gear Solid. Those are franchises I want to really stick to and follow the stories they have to tell. Destiny for me is just something to do. Like a chore or grind to advance in game. The pvp part sticks a little, but some aspects of pvp are bullshit as well. Maybe that's Mykle's rage contaging me a bit. xD

I just realized the voice actors and actresses of those patrol missions also make it seem like a chore. "You know how this goes. You pick up salvage and I'll keep ships from falling out of the sky...". 

Edited by Zakuro, 22 September 2014 - 10:25 AM.

• HBoss52 likes this

SewajDrayn

SewajDrayn

New Blood

• 8 posts

To the comment of lets wait and see what the game is like in a year. When did it become acceptable for a game not to be finished or what it was advertised until a year after we purchase it? We don't purchase a car and say, oh in a year it'll get better mileage and they'll add the Bluetooth compatability for my phone. When we purchase a game we should get a finished product. Where everything we expect in a game is actually in the game. This means story, content,etc.
  • Mykle, Starfleet Rambo and Fedge Gondola like this

ApexPredatorLion

ApexPredatorLion

Recruit

• 24 posts

I agree with you about the book part but again if you listen to the characters dialogue or read their grimoire cards you would understand what each person represents but at the same time they are not yet on the level of a "master chief/cortana/sergeant johnson" character level but they will probably get there. Also story means a chain of events such as the finding of our guardian>meeting the fallen>killing the vex gate lored>etc while plot means what they represent such as our guardian being revived means a new step for the Light or killing the gate lord is a stepping stone to discovering what the Darkness is. So yes it does have a plot and a story

To the comment of lets wait and see what the game is like in a year. When did it become acceptable for a game not to be finished or what it was advertised until a year after we purchase it? We don't purchase a car and say, oh in a year it'll get better mileage and they'll add the Bluetooth compatability for my phone. When we purchase a game we should get a finished product. Where everything we expect in a game is actually in the game. This means story, content,etc.

You understand that even before the game came out we knew it would be a platform more so than a game in the sense that it WILL be expanded upon instead of having just 20ish hours of gameplay and call it a day and you understand that when you buy a car you know some newer cooler feature will come out that you want such as bluetooth or navigation that you might not have ready in your car yet. If you didn't know that you should probably read up on stuff before you buy it because if you like a "complete" game then have fun finding one because they don't exist anymore mainly because companies know that people want new content to keep them busy so they set aside ideas to make into DLC for later games

ApexPredatorLion

ApexPredatorLion

Recruit

• 24 posts

Joe hits the nail right on the head.

There is literally one substantial cutscene with some decent exposition and story. And all it does is setup the DLC expansion that you have to pay extra for.

Joe also points out straight bold lies from Bungie. Loot works nothing like what they said it would. Loot is completely unsatisfying.

Not to mention I can download the expansions already. They are only a few megabytes. Which to me means that all of the places are ALREADY IN THE GAME. So basically we are paying for content we have already paid for.

I can name a few cutscenes that expand on the story or foreshadow the upcoming events 1. The future warrior coming to warn us about the vex and the traveler. 2. The queen of the reef not wanting us to find out about her plans 3. The end scene where the future warrior tells us that the problems lie in the outer worlds 

Hunter_4life

Hunter_4life

Forum Captain

• 492 posts

I enjoyed reading all of you guys' thoughts. What comes to mind is, "Well, That escalated quickly." Lol but about the story, I think its there, but its just not as bold as it could be.its like..a paper ball thats crumbled up rn, it will be opening up slowly for us, DlC will probably speed up the process. Also I have nooo idea how the guy up there ^^^ knew so much about the story xD anyway, Id assume some of us bought this game knowing that it was unfinished and would be expanded upon, that being said the ones that are gettin annoyed would be the ones who expected Destiny to be the wholegame right off the bat, free to judge when its really just begun. Seriously, its only been like 2 weeks guys were still on the first raid and there's not many players who've grinded to get to the higher levels to even play them.~_~ Plus, the bungie Developers claim they will keep expanding the game even if you don't want to buy the DLC's so if thats true I doubt all the story will come from those.Those are my thought for now, feel free to scrutinize :)

Ryka Varad

Ryka Varad

Best Shitposter NA

• 723 posts

I'm hoping the Queens Wrath tomorrow gives me something to do besides grind bounties to try for an exotic bounty... Cuz ya know.... All my level 20 friends having their exotics and me being at 26 with no exotic makes so much sense

Mayhem

Mayhem

• 976 posts

Queens Wrath is just another bounty rep faction. No new story or anything.
  • thegrognard likes this

Aoi

Aoi

Forum Lieutenant

• 336 posts

Back to the cave of wonders!

Arbiter Buddy

Arbiter Buddy

Forum Lieutenant

• 181 posts

Tried the Earth cave the other day, most productive experience I've had yet

• Mayhem likes this