• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Ozaga

Ozaga

Forum Lieutenant

• 240 posts

Polygon gave Destiny a 6

Metacritic scored Destiny under NFL 2015

Gamespot is still reviewing it after a week...

Do people not understand what Destiny is? It's a beginning, a start of something new and exciting. The story is supposed to leave you with questions unanswered, the narrative is supposed to allow you to piece the story in your own way. The game is supposed to evolve over time and keep you excited for what is next.

But apparently people dont understand this and penalize this amazing game for it.

• Noles, EnviableTag, Sentry-Mann and 5 others like this

Zano

Zano

Hand Cannon Overlord

• 202 posts

Fuck the haters man

Reviewers unfortunately are bound by their deadlines and they probably weren't given enough time to play the game before reviewing it. Sad thing is any one of us could probably write an awesome review on this game. They're scoring the game before the Raid is even open, foolish.

AdventOfAnarchy

AdventOfAnarchy

Forum Sergeant

• 133 posts

The thing about reviews are, they are just opinions. At least that's all they are on the consumer side of things. Just because you like something doesn't mean everyone else needs to as well. My second favorite artist in the world is relatively unknown and when I show people his work, most just don't get it.. I can't blame them for not appreciating something I cherish and it's the same story here.

Also, Gamestop (along with all other reviews from what I can tell) didn't get a chance to start reviewing it until Tuesday. That's only three days. Plus, I'm betting the reason reviewers weren't given a copy ahead of time was because, whether Bungie wants to call it one or not, it it very much like an MMO. MMOs are very hard to review because of the continuous updates and added content. The game you play on launch will be much different from the game you play 6 months to a year from now. However, reviewers can only review what they have to play, and if that's just the framework of what could be a great game, then that's all they have to go off of.

But at the end of the day, as long as you are enjoying the game, what does matter if someone else, thousands of miles away, doesn't like it?

• Noles and HBoss52 like this

OnyxWarlock

OnyxWarlock

Time Travel Wardon

• 109 posts

I never read reviews, usually if I want to know if a game/movie is good I usually ask my friends who have played/watch it for there opinions. Trust me when I say that reviewers can easily be bought to give a good/bad rating for a game. I remember when aliens CM was released and IGN gave it a 6 (mostly because of all the ads for the game they had posted on there site leading up to release) and after a week of angry back lash lowered it to  a 4.5.. Give it time, once more updates and content is added to the game they will most likely do a re-review of the game,

Mayhem

Mayhem

Assistant Manager of the Year

• 976 posts

Polygon gave Destiny a 6
Metacritic scored Destiny under NFL 2015
Gamespot is still reviewing it after a week...

Do people not understand what Destiny is? It's a beginning, a start of something new and exciting. The story is supposed to leave you with questions unanswered, the narrative is supposed to allow you to piece the story in your own way. The game is supposed to evolve over time and keep you excited for what is next.

But apparently people dont understand this and penalize this amazing game for it.

I disagree. For 60 bucks we shluld get a full game. Not a "beginning" shell out money later to make it "complete"

What the game offers at launch should be enough to excite people for what comes next. But I for one am not looking forward future content if it's the same repetitive missions that the launch story gave us.

Also anyone saying reviewers are being bought to give Destiny a bad score... Smh. Why lol. Ever stop to think that the game really is just average?

6/10 is horrible. It's an average gamer

Destiny is average.
  • HBoss52 likes this

Mr. Badger

Mr. Badger

Badger Thor!

• 1621 posts

I've never played a game that was fluid enough to be different each and every time you play. The only thing that comes remotely close to being new every day is life. It has awesome graphics, infinite computation power and STILL can very rarely be something new every day. Games are limited.

I can replay Destiny over and over. It's replay, for me, is awesome. I don't mind the grind. I don't mind fetch quests, or face shoot quests. I enjoy getting lost in the lore. I see a lot of people saying Destiny's lore is weak. WHAT!? Sure, some of the backstory given by Dinklebot can be lukewarm but that's what the Grimoire is for! I look through the Grimoire cards and go "OH SHITE! That's how that connects!"

• Corruption likes this

Hunter Riku

Hunter Riku

Hunter of the Darkness

• 229 posts

This game is deeper then what it shows. The reviewers don't know what they are talking about. I really like this game. Yeah! I will admit the only thing that is a bit annoying is patrol being repetitive but it doesn't really bother me as much as the reviewers are giving it. Otherwise, this game is keeping me busy. I haven't even finished the story yet because of all the content and Bungie says there is more to come.

I would say this game qualifies as Game of the Year.

kjhovey

kjhovey

I Sell Propane and Propane Accessories

• 457 posts

Want to hear something funny? The second "professional" review game Destiny a 7/10. Biggest reason? It did nothing new, it wasn't innovative enough.

This same reviewer gave Halo 4 a 10... I shit you not. Because, you know, Halo 4 was super unique. Actually, you know what? Halo 4 did do something different from every other Halo... it completely sucked.

• Mykle and NOVREHS like this

Aleflippy

Aleflippy

Forum Captain

• 605 posts

I agree with three things: Firstly,Destiny is a very big project , it will be up for TEN YEARS! That's freaking huge! Of course we can't have everything right now, it will keep getting better and better. 

Secondly,it's true some reviewers (be them be journalists who gets big bucks or gamers who likes to troll everyone) just spit their poison to destroy a game reputation. But you don't have to listen to them.

And finally... Just play the game. Don't trust people's advices blindly, it's always better to see for yourself.

BUUUUT! I think some things still need to be said about this game. 

Playing with others is hard as shit. Not only can we only make fireteam with 2 others people but it's really hard to speak with them. I won't talk about the fact it's not great to play with strangers (it's not Bungie's fault and it's true in a lot of games) ,but I think the system could have been a LOOOT better. 

The missions are truly repetitive...Of course it's hard to make every mission unique with a game as big as this , but couldn't they do any better? No seriously. It's almost always : land , go from A to B ,killing enemies in the process then it's done... You could say the same for borderlands for example,but I would disagree. Borderlands always had a unique twist we never saw coming! Destiny became too repetitive after a while... I surely hope the DLCs will bring some great missions! And because of that,leveling is tedious... It feels like it takes too long for the game to really start! And when it does,it ends very quickly since the level cap is fairly low! It will surely improve like a good handful of RPGs did ,but 30 is not a very high cap... 50 is more common,and more fair! 

I won't speak about the story,because even if right now it's nothing really special, I think the game will improve and deliver it during it's ten years lifespan! Nothing to rush then (even if right now,it's not very interesting)

The environnements aren't what I espected too! They are marvelous,beautiful. My jaw dropped when I saw them,really! But even if (again) we'll probably see a whole lot more in the future,I feel like we don't see enough. After a while,the landscapes seems too similar,which is quite sad because the game take place not in a city,not on a planet but on a WHOLE STAR SYSTEM! That's quite sad we can't see more of it right now. 

THE FREAKING LOADING TIMES! I'm not very impatient, I can wait. But even if the universe is big as hell so it takes time to load... It's too long. WAY TOO LONG for a late 2014 game. And even if they were so long,why not have a little something for us? Like maybe small infos about the game,the universe,the enemy races etc... A lot of game do that during their loading times,and it's always a good thing to learn a little more! 

Speaking of content and variety , I think enemies and weapons should have done better too... That's definitely something we'll see in future updates,DLCs,expansions and games,but having a little more from the very beginning would have been really better. I mean... There's a handful of weapons yeah,but without thinking about the bazillions guns of borderlands...could they add some more? And speaking of "quality over quality" ,Bungie is the company that gave us amazing and original weapons : grav-hammer,needler,plasma sword,the fuel rod gun... Why do we get such classical weapons? The only original weapon we get are the fusion rifles ,who are a nice and refreshing way to kill ,but even if with such a great game it would be hard to make every weapon unique: was it so hard to make a few of them really different? And it's the same for the enemies! When I saw the wikis of the game,I was like "oh,that's fine,we get 4 enemy races with 4-5 enemy types each,that's great! I can't wait to see the rest of them!" except it was ALL of them... What the hell? Again,we can't ask them to give us hundreds of different enemies right now,but after a while,it feel really tiresome to always shoot at the SAME EXACT THING. I don't ask for hundreds of enemy types,just a bit more variety. 

And don't say something about "the game will grow bigger" no. I think that after so much development time and the money they spent , they could have done something more interesting. I was almost sure that the game would never live up to the hype,and I know a lot of these flaws will dissapear as the game will evolve! But some things are just unforgivable. The problem is Destiny had a lot of promises... Destiny is not a bad game at all. But it's not the great,no what am I saying...THE FANTASTIC game it should have been. So yeah, of course the game will be better in the future,but that's no excuses... You can't just say than a decent game is amazing because it WILL be amazing. It should be amazing from the start,even more when it promised so much.

(Oh,and the french version sucks ass) 

• Mykle and HBoss52 like this

skY ProtocoL

skY ProtocoL

Apprentice

• 39 posts

You guys should't take reviews too seriously, it is evident that you can't agree with everyone since everyone has different points of views, what matters is if YOU enjoy the game, I personally do inspite of the repetitiveness of the game and the "simple" enemy AI.

Of course reviews are to point out the games flaws, hopefully bungie will consider them for future games.

The missions are truly repetitive...Of course it's hard to make every mission unique with a game as big as this , but couldn't they do any better?

Well, oblivion and skyrim as well as fallout 3 to name a few, were HUGE games and they all had unique quests, so it is possible.

Edited by skY ProtocoL, 13 September 2014 - 04:33 AM.

• AdventOfAnarchy likes this

Madhojo

Madhojo

Apprentice

• 30 posts

Well I can understand some of the criticism for Destiny. 

There are relatively few enemy types which do not vary much per area with most of the enemies in a wait mode always in the same place.  It is a bit grindy on certain things and the missions seem to reuse a ton of the same spots as previous missions, with a lot of wasted space as background/can't get to.  I can't say much for communication as I play in a clan and have no need to try and find others, though Bungie needs to add way more chat options (Ever play Earth Defense Force 2025?  If you have, you know what I'm talking about, if you haven't do yourself a favor and play it, great fun game)

Got to say that I'm not a fan of the way the story is told either, I think it's got a lot of potential but the dialog between my character and others is just plain awful.  I mean the opening sequence is...

'Ghost - You've been dead a long time, a lot has changed and you will not recognize the earth.'

'Guardian - Oh... ok.'

Really?  My guy has no questions about that what so ever?  I'm just totally going to go along with this been dead a long time resurrected stuff?  Man my guy is just dense as a rock.  But that's pretty much how the story is told to you for the rest of the game, lots of unanswered questions and your character is just plain stupid at times.  The story telling aspect is pry my main gripe with this game (besides the flashlight lol).

Also the extreme lack of customization is a real put off and the fact that classes really only exist so you can tell who will use what powers in PvP is also a let down.  No armor difference between Titan and Warlock... really?  No weapon differences, no specialties besides abilities?  Basically you should just be able to choose which ever abilities you want and what you want your armor to look like instead of having to choose a class.

That being said I am really enjoying this game, it's fun and can be a challenge at times too.  Also it pry helps that I'm coming from BF4 on the Xbox 360 which is one of the worst buggy games I've ever played (Perhaps the worst actually).  So playing Destiny and having it run so smooth with great response time and fun combat is pry coloring my opinion.  I do see the massive potential this game has and if Bungie does well with the episodic content (and not follow the stupid Spartan Ops pattern) then this game may very well be one of the best games ever.  (But again that will all depend on released content)

Oh well, regardless it's a fun game. 

Is it the best?  No. 

Is it the worst?  No. 

Is it a waste of 60 bucks?  No. 

Would I recommend it?  Yes.

Lets face it, Destiny looks great, it feels great, it runs smooth, and the combat is fun.  I'm level 18 now and still want to play more, so I'd say overall Destiny is doing well as a game.  I'm really looking forward to the first DLC to see how Bungie will set the bar for what this game will become and hopefully I'll not be disappointed.  (Truthfully though this game has helped restore my faith in video games after some of the worst over hyped pieces of garbage ever, Aliens Colonial Marines and Battlefield 4)

BrokenToeEd

BrokenToeEd

Forum Sergeant

• 85 posts

8.5 out of 10 - I'm really enjoying it.

Wont articulate my reasoning here and now - rather I'm gonna boot up Destiny. :)

Ahhhhh the Hype Train left some rattled passengers. Don't think anybody died though, not here at least...

image_1.jpg

CHOO-CHOO!!!!

tumblr_mniv1bSGmX1qd4fqho1_500.gif

• AdventOfAnarchy and Fedge Gondola like this

AdventOfAnarchy

AdventOfAnarchy

Forum Sergeant

• 133 posts

8.5 out of 10 - I'm really enjoying it.

Wont articulate my reasoning here and now - rather I'm gonna boot up Destiny. :)

Ahhhhh the Hype Train left some rattled passengers. Don't think anybody died though, not here at least...

image_1.jpg

Not dead, just mangled and asking what went wrong.

Noles

Noles

Community Manager

• 4247 posts

"We fully anticipate seeing day one reviews from folks who decide to kick the tires, but don't have the time or patience to take our ride for a nice, long, road trip" 

- DeeJ

Starfleet Rambo

Starfleet Rambo

Forum Sergeant

• 116 posts

I regret going digital with Destiny. Can't trade that bitch in at GameStop for credit.

Bungie stories make me snore and I don't even know what is what in Destiny. Go here, shoot that, go there again and shoot that again. I've never been captivated by Bungie's storytelling and they're so overrated.

Can't wait to play Sanctuary on H2:A.

slurpy_N1nJa

slurpy_N1nJa

Apprentice

• 42 posts

Movies, comics, games, etc will always be subject to varying opinions. There are games out there that I absolutely love (Turok, Red Faction Guerilla, Vanquish) are just a few that I like that are underdogs or disliked by most. Ppl talk smack & ppl praise. It all comes down to u and if u like it. I haven't gone by reviews for a long time. & don't plan to in tha future. Hell, I've yet to find anyone else that was cool w tha original Mass Effect 3 ending. I for one love Destiny. I see tha flaws just like anything else but I look forward to tha future of this franchise. Hope outways negativity. Just saying

Fedge Gondola

Fedge Gondola

Forum Sergeant

• 121 posts

All I can say is I absolutely agree with 6/10.  Possibly 7/10 once the game actually has meaningful content.

• HBoss52 likes this

BrokenToeEd

BrokenToeEd

Forum Sergeant

• 85 posts

Curious, since I never played it, but would anybody who has played care to comment on Titanfall getting a review score of 9/10?

To myself, again never having played Titanfall, the game appears to have very thrilling gunplay and tight mechanics, looped over and over again. In other words, fun but repetitive. Online only as well, with no launch support for custom games. Also, the story was mixed in with the intense multiplayer, and was somewhat convoluted and uninteresting even if you were able to pay attention to it. Agree or disagree?

Those two items - repetitive gameplay with lack of customization, and poor/unintelligible story - seem to be the two main problems reviewers really have w/Destiny.

If that's a valid comparison, then I'm curious as to why a certain media outlet rated Titanfall a 9/10, while rating Destiny a 6/10. I'm thinking the different reviewers on said media outlet had something to do with it, just like if Ryan McCaffery ever here's the word 'Halo' he has an orgasm...

RyanMcCaffreyPodUn1.jpg

"Exile's the 10th best HALO map EVAR.!>!>!@#$#!!$!"

Both Titanfall and Destiny were retardedly hyped & big budget, so there's another thing...

NOVREHS

NOVREHS

Ashara

• 282 posts

Titanfall was like an arcade demo. Fun for its time tho.

Mayhem

Mayhem

• 976 posts

Titanfall gets a pass because it does an amazing job at what they meant it to be. It's an online mtiplayer shooter. Way more balanced and fair than Destiny pvp and lot more fun in my opinion. Movement and gunplay is tighter. Titans are amazing. And the netcode is leaps and bounds better.

Destiny is an RPG. Idc if people believe I or not but it is. You level up. You get gear that modifies stats for your character.

As such more depth in content is a must. The story should have been at least a quarter longer of not more. And there should have been strikes you only unlocked after 20.

Even with all that the strikes boil down to nothing more than longer story missions without cutscenes. There is no variation to the gameplay.

Every strike follows this exact format.

1. Progress through the area
2. Defend an area while your ghost works
3. Clear area where you fight the nod
4. Engage boss
5. Enemy wave spawns
6 Repeat steps until boss dies

The worst part is that there are no unique bosses. Sepiks Prime is just a big servitor. The Nexus Mind is just a big Hydra. Archon Priest just a big Fallen captain.

It's a little annoying. In most RPGs with an MMO style endgame that Destiny has they have dungeons with interesting and diverse bosses with different mechanics and strategies.

There is literally no variation in bosses in strikes.

Excuse me sorry the Mars boss will walk back and forth down the hall in the middle.
  • Fedge Gondola likes this

BrokenToeEd

BrokenToeEd

Forum Sergeant

• 85 posts

Titanfall gets a pass because it does an amazing job at what they meant it to be. It's an online mtiplayer shooter. Way more balanced and fair than Destiny pvp and lot more fun in my opinion. Movement and gunplay is tighter. Titans are amazing. And the netcode is leaps and bounds better.

So then 9/10 was appropriate?  "Titanfall gets a pass" is a curious statement - sounds like a cop out.

Also, pretty sure that Titanfall doesn't have "more content," if the comparison with Destiny and Titanfall in such a regard is a value statement. For 60 dollars they both seem to be lacking; I'm willing to bet Destiny "1" gets more support than Titanfall "1" has, if we keep this comparison going over the long term.

Totally agree with the repetitive nature of the Strikes though; it desperately needs encounters that are not queued up and progress in the exact same fashion over, and over, and over...

Dinklage is actually really annoying unfortunately - they gave him some sh-t lines and direction as to how to become a floating robot. The mix sucks. Glad he doesn't talk in the Strikes much, if at all. :)

• Noles likes this

Mayhem

Mayhem

• 976 posts

So then 9/10 was appropriate?  "Titanfall gets a pass" is a curious statement - sounds like a cop out.

Also, pretty sure that Titanfall doesn't have "more content," if the comparison with Destiny and Titanfall in such a regard is a value statement. For 60 dollars they both seem to be lacking; I'm willing to bet Destiny "1" gets more support than Titanfall "1" has, if we keep this comparison going over the long term.

Totally agree with the repetitive nature of the Strikes though; it desperately needs encounters that are not queued up and progress in the exact same fashion over, and over, and over...

Dinklage is actually really annoying unfortunately - they gave him some sh-t lines and direction as to how to become a floating robot. The mix sucks. Glad he doesn't talk in the Strikes much, if at all. :)

Titanfall is a competitive multiplayer shooter. If you compare it to Destiny on those terms it has more maps and bigger variety of guns to choose from. It has recieved an impressive amount of updates since launch. New features like the black market, emblems etc has all been added for free along with 2 DLC map packs.

Idk if it's a 9/10. But it's a damn good multiplayer experience.

Pure content? Destiny has more. But Titanfall isn't about a story mode or a singe player. So I don't see how you can compare it that way.

What really bugs me about Destiny is there is no variety on anything.

All the assault rifles look the same. Red Death looks exactly the same as every other rifle except it has spikes and a bayonet.

Diablo and other RPGs can get away with a grinding replay system because they have a wealth of diverse weapons and armor. Sadly Destiny has less armor variation than even Halo reach probably.

Ozaga

Ozaga

Forum Lieutenant

• 240 posts

Now we're saying Destiny is like Titanfall? Im done... Nope I am leaving... How dare you say such things!

BrokenToeEd

BrokenToeEd

Forum Sergeant

• 85 posts

Titanfall is a competitive multiplayer shooter. If you compare it to Destiny on those terms it has more maps and bigger variety of guns to choose from. It has recieved an impressive amount of updates since launch. New features like the black market, emblems etc has all been added for free along with 2 DLC map packs.

Yeah, neither of the games has gun variety, if you look at other top shooter competitors. I know people at DPFN have had this discussion in regards to Titanfall before. It's got balance, but lacks variety. You want variety in weaponry, you play games like CoD Blops II and BF4.

That all said, I've been playing Control on Destiny w/my wife, and she and I have been having a great time. Clash bothers her, but the objective modes allow us to work together, and gametypes like Skirmish are just as much about hurting the other team as they are helping your own. I like that, and can see having many enjoyable outings into the future.

Suffice to say, I appreciate your thoughts on Titanfall and Destiny Mayhem, and that I'm glad I'm thoroughly enjoying my Destiny experience thus far. Tomorrow, we finish the campaign, and then get our fill of Strikes and bounties at our leisure..!

Mayhem

Mayhem

• 976 posts

Yeah, neither of the games has gun variety, if you look at other top shooter competitors. I know people at DPFN have had this discussion in regards to Titanfall before. It's got balance, but lacks variety. You want variety in weaponry, you play games like CoD Blops II and BF4.

That all said, I've been playing Control on Destiny w/my wife, and she and I have been having a great time. Clash bothers her, but the objective modes allow us to work together, and gametypes like Skirmish are just as much about hurting the other team as they are helping your own. I like that, and can see having many enjoyable outings into the future.

Suffice to say, I appreciate your thoughts on Titanfall and Destiny Mayhem, and that I'm glad I'm thoroughly enjoying my Destiny experience thus far. Tomorrow, we finish the campaign, and then get our fill of Strikes and bounties at our leisure..!

For sure I enjoy Destiny pvp. A lot of the imbalances in classes piss me off and the Russian roulette that is the loot reward system in crucible.

Titanfall has enough variety for me. I find that in BF and CoD there are too many choices for me.

I know I've been tagging Destiny a lot but Bungie hyped up a lot of expectations and it's fallen a bit short of mine.