Photo

9/9/14 the day I got back into Gaming

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

JackUnion

JackUnion

Assassin

• 367 posts

I'm a dad of two, married and had stopped playing games (other than Nintendo family). Until I heard about this game. I'm getting a PS4 bundle just for this game and upgraded my tv and sound system. I loved WOW and everything Bungie..since Myth. Wanted to say hello to what looks like a great community. What are some things to research about the game, class, race etc... Before I get started. Never played the beta or alpha. Thanks to all!
  • Noles, NOVREHS and The Steel Arc like this

Noles

Noles

Community Manager

• 4247 posts

Hey Jack, glad to have you! :) I used to play WoW a lot.

I'd check out these 2 articles, even though they're a little out of date now, they still give a nice overview of the game.

http://destinynews.n...verything-know/

http://destinynews.n...g-know-destiny/

Feel free to create yourself a topic too and post any and all questions you've got into it. 

DrunkIrishKid

DrunkIrishKid

Member of Bad Karma

• 210 posts

Hello and welcome.  Good to see another ps user.  I bought a ps at launch, and it has basically been a glorified paper weight until Destiny.  Then it will probably overheat and shut down on me

petere05

petere05

Forum Lieutenant

• 283 posts

Never playing the beta or alpha is to your benefit. You haven't had shaking fits every other day since they closed.

Also, I'm getting the PS4 bundle and am super excited to break it open!

JackUnion

JackUnion

Assassin

• 367 posts

Hahah awesome! Great community... Looking forward to this a lot. Loved WOW and Halo and Myth... My kids were born and I scaled back. But I love the idea you can explore?, PvE, PvP, raid... Has the fps and the wow mmorpgs feel of upgrading the character. I am hoping this is a game I can play for a couple of hours before work or bed, or all night on a Friday when the wife and kids are asleep. I even invested in the sony headphones ($100) so I can play and not wake them up. From the videos I love the look and feel of the Titan and Warlock..but I'm sure the hunter is great too. So awesome.. I've never even played it and I've already purchased the expansions. Lol. Luckily my friends and I have supportive spouses that think it's ok we are jonzin' to get back into a great game

DrunkIrishKid

DrunkIrishKid

Member of Bad Karma

• 210 posts

It will absolutely be the kind of game you can either put a couple of hours into with strikes or pvp, or lose yourself completely in anything the game has to offer for an entire night. They said the raids on hard difficulty can take upwards of 10 hours. So, the MMO raid aspect is certainly there.

Basically, you can play as little or as much of this game as you want, and it will have something to fit your needs at that particular time

JackUnion

JackUnion

Assassin

• 367 posts

Very cool! Thank you very much! Getting a PS4 bundle.. So have a lot to learn the 1st night, need to hook it up, figure out how to get online, how the game works... Then sit back and immerse myself into the game... I think all I needed was the play station plus..(1yr) then set it up and I'm good to go? And I think I read you can make up to 3 toons? To try out all the classes? And there is no monthly fees on top of the play station plus? Very cool... Played wow for 6 yrs... I miss it, but not the time it absorbed. I like that I can play for 20 minutes or 20 hrs...lol

yaters

yaters

Square Wheel

• 186 posts

Welcome Jack.  I too am a father of 2 and was on the verge of ending my career in gaming but I've always been a big Bungie fan and hearing of their new game kept me going.  Now we are about a week away and I feel like a 20 year old again (ok that's a lie...my brain is feeling that way but my body is now complaining about things I didn't know I had).

I'll be on the XboxOne so we won't meet up in the game but we can share stories here.  

• Culexss likes this

Mrdowork77

Mrdowork77

Forum Lieutenant

• 189 posts

What's good, Jack? Welcome to the forums. 

Riewoldt

Riewoldt

Forum Major

• 752 posts

Welcome to the forum Jack! Good to see Destiny has got you back into gaming. You shouldn't have any trouble setting up the PS4, it is pretty easy if you know what you have to do. If you do need some help with the PS4 feel free to message me.  :)

pompeyfluff

pompeyfluff

Suros Regime Expert

• 810 posts

Welcome to the forums, hope you have fun.

I recommend taking a look at the database information as well as the threads.

Lots to learn, always new info around
  • JackUnion likes this

JackUnion

JackUnion

Assassin

• 367 posts

You all are great! Thank you! Shame we will be on other systems but we can share stories true! Yes I'm hoping the PS4 sets up well. My wife and I bought a HD 1080p tv with a sound bar... For the blu ray..( not gonna lie I wanted to see the game in HD ). I originally bought the bundle like I said for AC Unity,.. But then I read about this game.. And being a huge fan of Bungie and an old WOW addict... It's like the game is calling me back. I really hope once I get the system home and plugged in and set up the play station plus I should be able to play. I don't know if I'll have to charge the controller or if it come with batteries. I also hope it comes with a HDMI cable. I got the $99 play station earphones (anyone heard or used those?)
Guess the quick questions for the PS4 were:
-does it have wireless built in, so I just have to set up my wifi for it,
-any extra stuff I should get recommend for game play? I bought a charging cable so I can play/charge the 1st night
-anyone used the playststion gold wireless headset? I bought that too.
- is the 500g enough for destiny and the expansions?
-thank you!

skar

skar

New Blood

• 8 posts

I bought a PS4 myself recently as well. And also upgraded our tv to a full-HD version. Both purchases were also because I wanted to enjoy Destiny in it's full glory... sssst ;)

But I can say you this about the PS4:

- it comes with a HDMI cable in the box
- they included a mini-USB cable to charge your controller. I had to charge it, but a friend of mine could just use it without charging. You can use it while it's charging, so no worries
- the PS4 has wifi in it, so you can connect it with your wifi network if you want to, but I always prefer cabled network - it's more stable and has often more speed
- I think that the 500GB should be enough for Destiny and it'a expansions. I can't talk for the whole lifespan of Destiny, but the initial install space was somewhere between 50 and 70Gb if I remember correctly.
- I don't know if Playstation Plus is a requirement for the PvE stuff. But guess so, since you play with other people all the time.

Being a dad of two I recognise the time struggle you mentioned. But luckily my wife understands my gaming needs and supports me where possible. Which is awesome. But still I can't play more than just a couple of hours per evening - if I'm lucky ^^
  • JackUnion likes this

Culexss

Culexss

Forum Sergeant

• 92 posts

Hi Jack,

I'm also a father of two kids and Destiny get me hooked again :-) There are a bunch of us elderly people here ;-)

You've found the right people here, all (that I had the honor to write to) are very kind and helpfull!
  • JackUnion likes this

JackUnion

JackUnion

Assassin

• 367 posts

Awesome! Thank you Skar! Answers a lot, especially since I know the people at the game store will not have time nor would want to answer questions at 12am with that many people. Hope to see you and the others on PSN Destiny
Thanks Cluexss, seems like a lot of us dads on here. I think my wife will prefer my kids looking over my shoulder on this, rather than AC or another MA game.

mavado454

mavado454

Forum Badass

• 1320 posts

Welcome, Jack!  I am a father of 2 as well, and couldn't be more excited for Destiny.  I can't say it got me back into gaming, but I don't care if this is the only game I get the rest of the year, lol.  I am playing on Xbone, but with this great community, we all can share our war stories!

• JackUnion likes this

Paper Cut2U

Paper Cut2U

Recruit

• 25 posts

Hello and welcome.  There is some good info already on the site you can check out.  I'm also gonna be posting videos in the crucible area to help people with pvp.  Gonna be putting up a video on the radar system tomorrow.  Enjoy your stay.  

JackUnion

JackUnion

Assassin

• 367 posts

I can't wait to see them! Everyone had been great, just makes me want to play more now! Thanks to Noles for getting me started on two great videos, DrunkIrish, petere05, Riewoldt and pompeyfluff! And all of you that have been do helpful. Cool to know there are more dads playing like Skar and Culexss and you other guys!
  • DrunkIrishKid likes this

NOVREHS

NOVREHS

Ashara

• 282 posts

Hey Jack, welcome to the forum hopefully you'll enjoy the game just as much as we all did during beta.

Kidcombz

Kidcombz

Apprentice

• 36 posts

Never playing the beta or alpha is to your benefit. You haven't had shaking fits every other day since they closed.

Also, I'm getting the PS4 bundle and am super excited to break it open!

the withdrawal symptoms are not to be trifled with. :|  

Edited by Kidcombz, 03 September 2014 - 03:28 PM.

• petere05 likes this

Dude!

Dude!

Apprentice

• 54 posts

I'm also married with 2 kids, so I know how you feel.  My gaming has been limited and the only way to keep playing  a few games a year was to teach my kids how to play.  Of course that sort of back fired because now my 8 and 3 year old want to play all the time too (my 3 year old LOVED it during the beta if he could get someone else to dance with him at the Tower).  And despite the numerous eye rolls from the Mrs. when I exclaim each morning "X more days until Destiny!", I think she'll be okay with a few evenings alone to watch her girlie shows.  

• Jinxdbilly4life and JackUnion like this

Jinxdbilly4life

Jinxdbilly4life

Recruit

• 13 posts

Welcome Jack. Dad of three here. You are lucky you didn't play the alpha or beta like others have said. Withdrawals. Dreams of Destiny. The obsession. The countdown that ticks by ever so slowly. Lol. Just kidding. I can't wait for the game. I pass the time by running the Destiny clan of the gaming group I belong to.

Dude, i know the feeling. I have created gaming monsters with my boys, except the middle one. The 18 yr plays all the time, the 8 yr old plays and watches me all the time unless the 7 yr old bugs him to play toys with him. My 8 yr old watches me play campaigns and makes me promise not to play them unless he can watch the story progress. But this time school in session so I am going to sneak some time by taking a vacation day Tuesday lol. I am lucky the wife works nights so gaming isn't limited. Free after kids go to bed.

Will be playing on the x1 also.
  • JackUnion likes this

JackUnion

JackUnion

Assassin

• 367 posts

Lots of good people I sadly won't be playing with on XBOX but I'm glad I can swap war stories with you all here!

Kiropter

Kiropter

Forum Sergeant

• 89 posts

Welcome Sir!

JackUnion

JackUnion

Assassin

• 367 posts

Thanks you all very much, love it here