Photo

What does the "Lock in" and "illumination" feature does?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

GagmaTM

GagmaTM

Recruit

• 20 posts

Hi you all!, this is something that I didn't understand from the beta AND the Alpha, i think is going to be the same thing with the Full Game

In your sub class and with upgradeable gear and weapons we have this option on the far right side that says "illumination" and "Lock in" respectively.

With illumination it says "Seal this subclass, locking all previous choices".. this is the one that i'm most confused with.. is it like a prestige or reset that you are able to use after you have unlocked everything else, and you'll have a reward for locking everything and unlocking it all over again?? 

Then with "Lock in" i kind of get it but still confuses me, you unlock it on your weapons and gear after unlocking everything else and it says for weapons: "increase attack, but locks in all previous choices" and for armor the same thing but with defense instead of attack and its called "harden" instead of lock in.. does it mean that choosing to lock in will increase what the gear does but will disable the other bonuses?

Thank you guys for answering 'cause this is really bugging me right now  ===

Free Healing

Free Healing

Forum Lieutenant

• 308 posts

Lock In for Weapons Increases their Attack Damage Rating, but makes it so your choice of Scope, Ammo, Magazine, Barrel ect ect are "LOCKED" from that point and you can't change between them anymore. It doesn't disable any bonuses that you've chosen but it means you can't choose between which bonuses you want at any time now.

"Harden" for Armor basically does the same thing but with an Armors Defense Rating.

Illumination is just like Lock in with a twist. Every class has Illumination but none of them affect the same Stat. Titan Illumination increases Armor, while Warlocks increases Recov. and Hunters increases Agility. Like "Lock In" and "Harden" once you do this you'll no longer be able to switch between Grenade Types, Moment Types/bonuses, Training, ect ect and you'll have to live with whatever you decided to have unlocked when you clicked on Illumination. 

In addition to that, using Illumination will actually cause the subclass you "Illuminated" to spawn a brand new level 1 no XP version of that same Subclass (like a subclass baby) for you to level up again and maybe build a different type of Guardian.

• Noles, Artemus, Hemme02 and 5 others like this

Artemus

Artemus

Forum Lieutenant

• 234 posts

Lock In for Weapons Increases their Attack Damage Rating, but makes it so your choice of Scope, Ammo, Magazine, Barrel ect ect are "LOCKED" from that point and you can't change between them anymore. It doesn't disable any bonuses that you've chosen but it means you can't choose between which bonuses you want at any time now.

"Harden" for Armor basically does the same thing but with an Armors Defense Rating.

Illumination is just like Lock in with a twist. Every class has Illumination but none of them affect the same Stat. Titan Illumination increases Armor, while Warlocks increases Recov. and Hunters increases Agility. Like "Lock In" and "Harden" once you do this you'll no longer be able to switch between Grenade Types, Moment Types/bonuses, Training, ect ect and you'll have to live with whatever you decided to have unlocked when you clicked on Illumination. 

In addition to that, using Illumination will actually cause the subclass you "Illuminated" to spawn a brand new level 1 no XP version of that same Subclass (like a subclass baby) for you to level up again and maybe build a different type of Guardian.

This is the best I've heard this explained. Thanks for this.  I don't understand how the subclass thing locks in (never got that far) but I suppose I'll find out in little more than a month.

Noles

Noles

Community Manager

• 4247 posts

I don't understand how the subclass thing locks in (never got that far) but I suppose I'll find out in little more than a month.

As far as I understand it, it's just an ability you choose that will prevent you from changing any other abilities. 

http://www.destinydb...alents#MoQZfjq8 locking = illumination 

GagmaTM

GagmaTM

Recruit

• 20 posts

I get it now..

But how do you know all that? i've never seen any videos or tweets or anything from bungie explaining that :o

Specially the "baby subclass" part lol or sub-subclass.. It kind of makes sense now but at the same time i don't think i like it too much that way :/

Free Healing

Free Healing

Forum Lieutenant

• 308 posts

When your in the Subclass Menu for Upgrades/Details it shows you your guardians 3 Statistic Outputs (Agility, Recovery, and Armor) in the form of "Bars" similar to those we see when we look at weapon details. At the beginning of the game, you can look at the starting values of these statistics in their default form. Now this is all from memory currently but the way it works is... well let me do some theorizing to show you how I came to this conclusion. 

Okay, so assume that the Bar is replaced with a Numerical Value. Let's say the lowest this Value can be is "1" and the highest it can be is "10". Each Class starts out with the following statistics:

Titan: Striker

Armor: 2

Recovery: 1

Agility: 1

Hunter : Gunslinger

Armor: 1

Recovery: 1

Agility: 2

Warlock: Voidwalker

Armor: 1

Recovery: 2

Agility:1

Given this, the default it's clear to see how each class was designed to operate. However your subclass doesn't have to be nearly that simple. There are actually a few Skills that increase the value of these Statistics in the form of Training Buffs (such as Titan's Codex I, II, and III or the Arcane Knowledge, Wisdom, and Strength(?) of the Voidwalker Subclass)

that were designed to increase these stats further. When you highlight these in the Upgrade/Details Menu you get visual confirmation of the increase in the form of a Green Bar Extending on the White Bar. I don't have exact Statistics but while I was playing I noticed that of the training types we DID get the first two accented, primarily, the default specialty of our Class.

On my Warlock it was possible for me to increase his Recovery to 9/10 by the end of the Beta but no other ability would push it past that. That's where Illumination comes into play. No matter how you build your Subclass  Illumination always increases your default special statistic by a value (at least the proposed value here) by "1". This of course is subject to change as is everything in a Beta but for now we can assume that the only real reason to use Illumination at the moment is for that last bit of added value to your stats. I also speculate that the name "Illumination" was deliberate and that activating it will give us additional values of the "Light" statistic that is available for Armor, but that is mere conjecture at this time. 

So... yeah, there wasn't a video or anything that's just what I've come up with. As far as the Baby Subclass thing i'm pretty sure it was in one of the Videos or Weekly updates I read but I can't provide a link to them as they all tend to blur together in my mind. If I manage to find it later I'll send you a link if you want.

• Noles likes this

Gelgoog

Gelgoog

New Blood

• 6 posts

So you guys know, the third subclass being a new subclass is unconfirmed.  People are speculating on whether locking your subclass will create a new version or that there is a whole new third subclass that Bungie just isn't tell us about.

I, personally, can't decide which I would prefer. Regardless, I hope for some glimmer I'll be able to unlock my subclasses.  I'm so indecisive, I know I'll constantly want to change things around.

Hemme02

Hemme02

Forum Commander

• 1101 posts

This sounds awesome.

Havnt seen anything about subclass baby anywhere. Would be great if you have a link or something. Cause if you can lock and lvl up again that would make for some cool builds.

damienangel

damienangel

Coffee Knight

• 269 posts

Are there any updates on how this "Subclass" baby will work? I assume the concept carries some weight if it is meant to incentivise locking in your build permanently.  I mean, unless there is a major stat boost rewarded to those who "Illuminate" there isn't much reason to lock yourself in. 

Noles

Noles

Community Manager

• 4247 posts

Are there any updates on how this "Subclass" baby will work? I assume the concept carries some weight if it is meant to incentivise locking in your build permanently.  I mean, unless there is a major stat boost rewarded to those who "Illuminate" there isn't much reason to lock yourself in. 

"Destiny allows you to freely swap your ability choices, but according to Green there comes a point when you can lock them in. This gives your Guardian benefits, such as a stat boost. At this point you get a copy of the same focus, but that copy levels up much faster, thus allowing experimentation."

From http://www.eurogamer...t-the-level-cap

• Snow_Junki3 likes this

ST2012

ST2012

Forum Sergeant

• 93 posts

I predict much anxiety on my part regarding these features...

• damienangel likes this

damienangel

damienangel

Coffee Knight

• 269 posts

"Destiny allows you to freely swap your ability choices, but according to Green there comes a point when you can lock them in. This gives your Guardian benefits, such as a stat boost. At this point you get a copy of the same focus, but that copy levels up much faster, thus allowing experimentation."

From http://www.eurogamer...t-the-level-cap

so...am I reading this right....if you lock in you subclass, you get a stat boost and your skills are fixed and unswappable for a time. then your subclass sort of restarts and you can re-earn all the skills you had before locking in at quicker rate and then switch your skills up if you found that you did not like the ones you locked into? Does that sound right?

Free Healing

Free Healing

Forum Lieutenant

• 308 posts

no, view your Subclass as an Item. Once you Illuminate, it spawns another Subclass of the same Type (ie Illuminated Voidwalker spawns a brand new Voidwalker not a Sun Singer) at level 1. So, in your inventory you'll have BOTH a High Level locked Subclass and a brand spanking new Subclass of the same type, only without any upgrades.

Noles

Noles

Community Manager

• 4247 posts

so...am I reading this right....if you lock in you subclass, you get a stat boost and your skills are fixed and unswappable for a time. then your subclass sort of restarts and you can re-earn all the skills you had before locking in at quicker rate and then switch your skills up if you found that you did not like the ones you locked into? Does that sound right?

It will be a copy of the Focus/subclass you just locked, reset back to its base, with an experience boost attached. This is done to continue to allow experimentation with a focus without needing to have to make a new character. 

You still keep your old locked in subclass and can switch to it whenever you want. You can still change your play-style quickly if you want to.

• damienangel likes this

damienangel

damienangel

Coffee Knight

• 269 posts

no, view your Subclass as an Item. Once you Illuminate, it spawns another Subclass of the same Type (ie Illuminated Voidwalker spawns a brand new Voidwalker not a Sun Singer) at level 1. So, in your inventory you'll have BOTH a High Level locked Subclass and a brand spanking new Subclass of the same type, only without any upgrades.

Ahhh okay that is a little more clear to understand

It will be a copy of the Focus/subclass you just locked, reset back to its base, with an experience boost attached. This is done to continue to allow experimentation with a focus without needing to have to make a new character. 

You still keep your old locked in subclass and can switch to it whenever you want. You can still change your play-style quickly if you want to.

Right, the catch is that during that time between locking down your first subclass and re-unlocking those skills again in the second manifestation of your skill tree, you wont have all of your skills to choose from. this is a big deal for players who wont be able to devote a ton of time to the game. I predict it will take a longgggg time for me to fully unlock my guardian and even with the experience boost, it may be too daunting to try and re-work through the tree for a stat increase (though that may not hold to be true after playing for months on end)

Thank you all for clearing this up. it is yet another in fine detail that I didnt understand. Have we heard anything on a maximum number of "illuminations" that one can perform?

Edited by damienangel, 20 August 2014 - 02:49 PM.

Free Healing

Free Healing

Forum Lieutenant

• 308 posts

You can only Illuminate once PER subclass but as far as i know there isn't a limit to how many Subclasses you can hold "IF" you can put SBC's in your Vault. If you can't put em in your Vault than the answer is 3 - infinity.

damienangel

damienangel

Coffee Knight

• 269 posts

You can only Illuminate once PER subclass but as far as i know there isn't a limit to how many Subclasses you can hold "IF" you can put SBC's in your Vault. If you can't put em in your Vault than the answer is 3 - infinity.

Hmmm curious. I wonder if you "store" an illuminated subclass in your vault and then illuminate again for the second, or third etc etc time if you will get the stat boost for each illumination?

pompeyfluff

pompeyfluff

Suros Regime Expert

• 810 posts

likelihood is that they will only give the stat boost once, not multiply it up on each subsequent subclass..if not i'll race through as many subclasses as possible to get that boost multiplier rising.

damienangel

damienangel

Coffee Knight

• 269 posts

likelihood is that they will only give the stat boost once, not multiply it up on each subsequent subclass..if not i'll race through as many subclasses as possible to get that boost multiplier rising.

My thoughts exactly. I'll keep illuminating if it means I can farm a permanent Stat boost each time

Free Healing

Free Healing

Forum Lieutenant

• 308 posts

Well no, that "Stat Boost" your talking about just fills out the last bit of stat for whatever your Class was, the boost doesn't carry over to the baby subclass. 

Artemus

Artemus

Forum Lieutenant

• 234 posts

So you can have as many subclasses that you want, or only 3 (because that's how many slots there are)? 

It would be great to have 4 -- For my Hunter, a gunslinger build for PVE and PVP, then a bladedancer build for PVE and PVP. 

Since none of us have ever locked in or illuminated ourselves, so to speak, does anybody know if you'll be able to switch between subclasses on the fly? 

I know there are times when I'll want to play with just the gunslinger in PVE, but in Strikes I'll probably chose the bladedancer with arc blade for its area of effect damage.

The Beta had them both in the inventory, but I'm wondering if it's going to be just as easy as clicking between the two.

Anybody know for sure -- or guess? 

I know a lot of titans are going to probably want to choose that defender subclass for raids and strikes because it's such a support/buff build, but might want to bust heads with the

striker when they're patrolling on their own.  Probably same thing with the warlocks, although they seem to be deadly no matter what build they've got. :)

damienangel

damienangel

Coffee Knight

• 269 posts

So you can have as many subclasses that you want, or only 3 (because that's how many slots there are)?
It would be great to have 4 -- For my Hunter, a gunslinger build for PVE and PVP, then a bladedancer build for PVE and PVP.
Since none of us have ever locked in or illuminated ourselves, so to speak, does anybody know if you'll be able to switch between subclasses on the fly?
I know there are times when I'll want to play with just the gunslinger in PVE, but in Strikes I'll probably chose the bladedancer with arc blade for its area of effect damage.
The Beta had them both in the inventory, but I'm wondering if it's going to be just as easy as clicking between the two.

Anybody know for sure -- or guess?

I know a lot of titans are going to probably want to choose that defender subclass for raids and strikes because it's such a support/buff build, but might want to bust heads with the
striker when they're patrolling on their own. Probably same thing with the warlocks, although they seem to be deadly no matter what build they've got. :)

Precisely my thoughts! I want to run support on raids with my titan and then probably go striker in PvP (unless I play with a squad of people I know and I can coordinate support through good communication etc etc)
  • Artemus likes this

rainmaker395

rainmaker395

Forum Sergeant

• 91 posts

Precisely my thoughts! I want to run support on raids with my titan and then probably go striker in PvP (unless I play with a squad of people I know and I can coordinate support through good communication etc etc)

I was under the impression that when you locked in, you only lost the ability to change things around in that particular subclass.  I thought you were still capable of changing your subclasses.  Whether you can do that mid session or have to go back to orbit is a darn good question though.  Per Datto's video linked below; shortly before they wiped the characters on Bungie.net, the Illumination option had been removed  ( Check the link at 3:56).

https://www.youtube....cTIjTQctolYeuDw

Artemus

Artemus

Forum Lieutenant

• 234 posts

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that - but knowing the folks here they probably did.  Now it throws all of our debate into question.  If they really deleted the lock in feature....well that makes things really interesting.  I guess if it's gone for good then you'd be able to switch your skills out willy nilly with no fears of having them locked away forever.  

I've been questioning that 3rd subclass for a long time....but maybe Bungie has pulled a fast one on us yet again.  They're (Bungie) all about balance, aren't they, with no one class being more powerful than another.  It would make sense to give each Guardian supers in all 3 powers, Arc, Solar and Void.  Each build being different and good for different kinds of play.  If they make it totally switchable, you're never going to know what you're facing when going up against other Guardians.  

More of that horizontal leveling that they were talking about.  Imagine building 3 guardians with 3 subclasses each?  THAT could take a while.  

rainmaker395

rainmaker395

Forum Sergeant

• 91 posts

More of that horizontal leveling that they were talking about.  Imagine building 3 guardians with 3 subclasses each?  THAT could take a while.  

I believe they said secondary classes would level at an increased speeds.  While I don't mind either way, I would just like a way to setup preset builds.  Say you wanted to switch to a defender and these skills, weapons, and armor auto equipped.